Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Animes that inspired Hollywood blockbusters

It is now a pretty common fact that Battle Royale was the original Hunger Games. Ghost in the Shell was the main inspiration for The Matrix. Do you guys know of any other animes/manga that served as inspiration for the West?

BANNED

Wasn't the terrible Speed Racer movie based on an anime?

Cruel and Unusual Sound Silence's Avatar

The similarities between Battle Royale and Hunger Games are way overexaggerated.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Silence View Post
    The similarities between Battle Royale and Hunger Games are way overexaggerated.
    Also Battle Royale was a novel first and a live action film before it was manga so the example is kind of moot.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choblik View Post
    Wasn't the terrible Speed Racer movie based on an anime?
    HEY! That movie was awesome!

It had a good story, fun characters, race-car driving vikings, the most epic car-fu I've ever seen in a movie, John Goodman beating up ninjas and a chimp!

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Also Battle Royale was a novel first and a live action film before it was manga so the example is kind of moot.
    It was already a manga years before the Hunger games books were written though.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    It was already a manga years before the Hunger games books were written though.
    Yes, but the film is much more critically acclaimed than the manga.

It's kind of an assumption to say that the author of the Hunger Games derived her inspiration from the manga specifically when is arguably the least well known version of the story.

Heck, I think she made a statement saying to this effect: "I had never heard of that book [Battle Royale] or that author [Koushun Takami] until my book was turned in. At that point, it was mentioned to me, and I asked my editor if I should read it. He said: 'No, I don't want that world in your head. Just continue with what you're doing'."

So yeah, she heard about the novel after she'd handed in the book and didn't read it.

Follow me on Tumblr!

Thing is, the manga can have inspired the author just as the other version can have too, there is no way to tell. Collins can declare whatever she wants, even if it's BR (manga or movie) who gave her the idea for her books she's not going to admit it anyway so we will never know the real story behind it.

Thing is, the manga can have inspired the author just as the other version can have too, there is no way to tell. Collins can declare whatever she wants, even if it's BR (manga or movie) who gave her the idea for her books she's not going to admit it anyway so we will never know the real story behind it.
    BR isn't such an out there idea that she had to have been influenced from it. I'd say it's completely possible probably even likely to have never heard of it and have a similar idea.

Yeah, because Koushun the first person in the history of the world ever to come up with the concept of teenagers in a death game.

Surely nobody else could come up with such a concept independently! It's a once-in-a-lifetime idea!

Seriously though, I love Battle Royale, I own all three forms of the franchise and even sat through the abysmal Battle Royale 2, but I don't think it's impossible that Collins came with her own ideas independent of BR.

Follow me on Tumblr!

At the moment only remember the same name movies/manganimes

1. Dragon Ball

The american version is BAD
    The japanese version is hilarious

2. Sakuran

Good

3. Bleach, ok maybe here aren´t a movie but plays (Japan only)

Fanciful

Cruel and Unusual Sound Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Yeah, because Koushun the first person in the history of the world ever to come up with the concept of teenagers in a death game.
    With HG's calling it "tribute" you could argue it being derived from the legend of Theseus. Only there's no Minotaur and everybody gets to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Silence View Post
    With HG's calling it "tribute" you could argue it being derived from the legend of Theseus. Only there's no Minotaur and everybody gets to watch.
    Being critical... does anybody actually know of another work prior to the Battle Royale manga/film that focused on teenagers being shoved into a life-or-death survival game?

Quote Originally Posted by xevg View Post
    At the moment only remember the same name movies/manganimes

1. Dragon Ball

The american version is BAD
    The japanese version is hilarious
    Dare I mention the Chinese version, Dragonball: The Magic Begins?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
    Being critical... does anybody actually know of another work prior to the Battle Royale manga/film that focused on teenagers being shoved into a life-or-death survival game?
    Its stretching a bit, but arguably the Epic of Gilgamesh, where Gilgamesh waged war to assuage his boredom until Enkidu came along, considering how young soldiers can be.
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

Official Board Ostrichizer