Thread: Nightly News

Default Nightly News

Hickmans Nightly News? Worth a read?

I just read the trade a few days ago. It is an intelligent, singularly disturbing story. The visual element feels more graphic design than traditional comic art, but that serves the story being told and still has a strong storytelling element. I wasn't sure if the story was going to be for me, so I picked up the Image Firsts $1 first issue and gave it a try before I picked up the trade, and liked the read enough to plunk down the money for the trade. If you are expecting something akin to his Marvel work, or are unsure if this is for you, sampling the first issue that way before diving in might be a good strategy. I think it was a great read, but tastes may vary and all that.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I just read the trade a few days ago. It is an intelligent, singularly disturbing story. The visual element feels more graphic design than traditional comic art, but that serves the story being told and still has a strong storytelling element. I wasn't sure if the story was going to be for me, so I picked up the Image Firsts $1 first issue and gave it a try before I picked up the trade, and liked the read enough to plunk down the money for the trade. If you are expecting something akin to his Marvel work, or are unsure if this is for you, sampling the first issue that way before diving in might be a good strategy. I think it was a great read, but tastes may vary and all that.

-M
    So it's similar to his marvel stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    So it's similar to his marvel stuff?
    Not really. Not the stuff I have read of his at Marvel anyways. Which is why I would say if you are expecting something akin to his Marvel stuff, sample the first issue before plunking down for the trade, because it is not really similar.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Hijo Del Mr Backlund lboinyamouf4sho's Avatar
    lookin right into the eye of the videoscope

been awhile since i read it but i thought it was great.
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

-M
    Loved the quirky design of the artwork. You're right when you describe it as "disturbing" - I can't quite make sense of it half the time. But I think that's the point. To unsettle the reader into paranoia.

Nightly News is certainly worth a read. It's the Hickman book I've enjoyed the most(marvel books included). I really like the way he draws his comics, the design and layouts and graphs are quite beautiful. If you can, also check Pax Romana were Hickman employees a very different art style that's still as gripping.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame

BANNED

Need to read this. I've become a Hickman fan over the last few months.

You can pick up #1 at comixology for free, that's what I did with a bunch of titles to try them out.