Default Batman on the small screen

Ok, when will Batman be restored to his former TV glory? Ever since Justice League ended, it seems like every show featuring Batman isn't all that great. The Batman had some decent stories, but the art choices (Rasta Joker, ice monster Mr. Freeze, punk rock Riddler, etc) and deviation from the roots of characters really killed the show for me. Brave and the Bold was ok. I wish it were darker, but it's for kids so I can't really complain. Young Justice is an exception though. I think they're doing a great job with the story and the characters in that one. However, this Beware the Batman crap is ridiculous. They announce something awesome and then everything else they announce just sucks. We get a new, dark Batman show!!!...but it's CGI, Alfred is shooting people, the classic villains won't be in it, Katanna has been chosen to be Batman's sidekick instead of oh, I don't know...Robin! and it's being delayed and they're taking some of the edge off it because we as a society let deranged maniacs scare us into submission. It's all very disgraceful when you put it into perspective. I'll be giving it it's fair shot once it airs, but it's gonna have to be BTAS quality if I'm gonna forgive all the omissions of classic characters and ideas.

Would prefer (which will never be done) they pick up Batman TAS with season 5. IMO the only one that did any justice.

I really don't know why the don't revisit the idea of following young Bruce through the years of training to become Batman in a live action show.

Failing that it absolutely should revert to Batman TAS.

IMO I rewatched all of the Batman animated shows in the space of like 4 months. I think Brave and The Bold was the most entertaining, so in other words the best for me because you had several episodes with different tones. The Batman is very underrated which is a shame because it was well done. BTAS is okay, there are great episodes like Mr.Freeze's one, Robin's Reckoning and stuff but then you had terrible episodes like Batman in my Basement.

TNBA was just eh and Young Justice, I like what we have gotten with Batman. I think as a show that has Batman I would have to say Batman the Brave and The Bold but as Batman in the character I would say BTAS just over The Batman and Young Justice I guess. In regards to Beware the Batman, I will give it a shot without any expectations otherwise it is just unfair to the show and unfair to me because there will be bias and I'll miss the fun.

Batman The Animated Series, in my opinion, was truly Batman's last glorious representation.

Batman The Animated Series was truly Batman's last glorious representation.

I grew up watching BTAS, Batman Beyond and Justice League/JLU. Why Warner Bros. can't produce another great animated series like that is beyond me.

New Batman cartoon is in the works.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

I'd like to offer a defense of Beware the Batman, since I was put off initially, like many others, by the promo art of Alfred blasting away with twin automatics.

The people involved know and love the character. Glen Murakami has been there since the beginning (B:TAS), and Mitch Watson is well versed in the comics past and present. Watson was also a producer of Scooby Doo Mystery Inc., which I find a wonderful re-imagining in both design and story. If he brings that to Batman, I think it could be great.

After the many cartoon iterations of Batman, creators were challenged to come up with a fresh take. What they offered was CGI and lesser known villains. I'm pretty confident that if the series goes 65 episodes, we'll eventually see the Joker, but until then I'm up for the likes of Anarky, Magpie, and Professor Pyg. As for computer animation, I've never understood all the hate. I'd venture that Walt Disney, a relentless perfectionist in animation and new technologies fanatic, were he alive today, would enthusiastically embrace the form.

I miss Batman: The Brave and the Bold. There never was a show with more affection for and knowledge of the history of the character. I'm sad that the creative force behind it, James Tucker, isn't involved in the new series. But the producers of Beware the Batman have a history that, at minimum, deserves the benefit of the doubt (I also read recently that the brilliant Dave Bullock is working on the show). I eagerly anticipate the summer premiere.
    Last edited by atomicbattery; 01-28-2013 at 04:58 PM.

I just wish we could get good 'ole Bats back. All I want is a TV show staring Batman in Batman's classic universe. I'm tired of all the "twists" the out of touch higher-ups feel they need to put on Batman shows to keep the kiddies interested.

I won't condemn Beware the Batman yet. Brave and Bold proved you can have a great Batman show without following the BTAS framework and Clone Wars proves you can have a great looking CGI show that appeals to all ages. But one of the reasons I love Batman so much is because of his rogues gallery... and to totally cut out the popular characters we love to hate after only seeing them sporadically in Brave and Bold... that's just dumb.

I can accept Katana if that's explained well.

I can accept a more "active" Alfred (he was a gun tooting bad@$$ in Earth One after all).

I can HAPPILY accept screen time for a serious take on some underrated/lesser known bat villains. Hell, a TV show basically made Freeze's career.

I don't know if I can accept no Joker, Two-Face, Penguin, Riddler, Ivy, Bane... ect ect ect ect ect.
    Volstagg Fact #1 Volstagg is not hung like a horse... horses are hung like Volstagg!

Quote Originally Posted by wishpig View Post
    I just wish we could get good 'ole Bats back. All I want is a TV show staring Batman in Batman's classic universe. I'm tired of all the "twists" the out of touch higher-ups feel they need to put on Batman shows to keep the kiddies interested.

Explain?

I mean what were the kiddies Batman shows

Quote Originally Posted by Punter23 View Post
    Explain?

I mean what were the kiddies Batman shows
    What I mean is, the higher ups and executives creating this show are mainly interested in keeping the kiddies happy. By that I mean, they want to sell toys and accessories to kids. To do that they believe they need to constantly make Batman "fresh". Put Batman in the future, give Joker dreads and make him a kick-boxer, give Alfred guns, ect.

Of course many of these "higher-ups" are also very out of touch, so we get dumb crap like The Batman's Joker. Of course, to be fair, this mindset also gave us Batman Beyond, which actually was cool and "fresh".

If you're ever interested in the inner-workings of the DC animated world, I suggest listening to Kevin Smith's show Fat Man on Batman. He interviews all the top guys behind the tv shows.
    Volstagg Fact #1 Volstagg is not hung like a horse... horses are hung like Volstagg!

Heaven forbid a cartoon about superheroes is there to keep kiddies happy!

Quote Originally Posted by UKComicFan View Post
    Heaven forbid a cartoon about superheroes is there to keep kiddies happy!
    Or try to do something new!?

The idea of a Batman show that goes out of it's way to use Anarky and Professor Pyg over the Joker is the most exciting thing to happen since.... well, Brave and the Bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Or try to do something new!?

The idea of a Batman show that goes out of it's way to use Anarky and Professor Pyg over the Joker is the most exciting thing to happen since.... well, Brave and the Bold.
    I think the point being made is cartoons are to satisfy children not the users of this forum. So people who are over a certain age will inevitable be disappointed.