Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default The twenty most over-done and over-played things in Spidey-comics!

Yep. I figured it'd be fun to put together a list of the twenty most over-done and over-played things in Spidey-comics.

A neat little list, wherein we put good examples and such, for ease of use not just for us, but perhaps for any potential lurking writer or ARTIST as well.

Now then... shall we begin?

1. Too many villains in Green.
    Something that has somehow become a staple of Spidey, is that nearly every single one of his enemies utilize the colour GREEN as a big motife in their design, supposedly to off-set nicely against his red and blues.

Well, enough with that! It's neat and all, for the arc-nemesis, but now he's already got tons of those! Use some other colour.

The list of villains include: Sand-man, Green Goblin, Dr Octopus, Jackal, Lizard, Digger, Vulture, Mysterio, Electro, Scorpion, Beetle, the list goes on and on, and on and on...

2. Too many Goblins!
    Indeed, the Green Goblin is Spidey's arch-nemesis, but that does not mean we need more and more versions of him! Does the Joker have 20 different copies?? Lex Luthor? NO! As such, there is no need to ever create any more Goblins.

Hobgoblin 1, Hobgoblin 2, Hobgoblin 3, Demo-Goblin, Menace, the list goes on...

3. Too many Symbiotes!
    The third arch-nemesis of Spidey, after the Goblin and Ock, is Venom. HOWEVER, that does not mean that we need 50 other symbiote enemies! Enough with the Symbiotes already!

4. Spider-man saving or failing to save someone from falling off a bridge
    We all know this one, the Night Gwen Stacy Died, is a heart-felt and powerful story, one of the defining ones in superhero comic-fiction, but it doesn't need to be homaged a 100 and 1 times. Cue the inevitable scene in Amazing Spider-man part 3... ( alas, there it might actually be interesting, to finally see the death, on-screen.)

5. Spider-Man being trapped under a tremendous amount of rubble
    Another classic, another thing we need not see again. The original will still always be the best.

6. Spider-man quits being Spidey!
    "Spider-man no more" is a classic, but every time it's redone, it cheapens the original story. By now, Parker should know that the world needs Spider-man, and no matter what, he has to drag himself back up in the saddle, and continue the battle.

7. "The shock of Aunt May knowing I'm spidey may kill her!" - and other Aunt May brushes with death.
    May Parker is old and sickly, we know this, but they need not play this card again, and again, and again... In fact, for a while we didn't see any stories like this, and to my knowledge they're kept to a minimum these days. Let's keep it that way.

8. My Spider-Sense Doesn't Work!

Need to add more tension to a scene? Want to make your villain a bigger threat? Then just find a way to diffuse Spidey's spider-sense! You can do it with a gas, a potion, or an electronic device. Heck, you don't even really need an explanation, just have Pete say "I guess my spider-sense doesn't work on him!" (see: Venom)

9. I'm out of web fluid!
    Very often, we have the recurring theme of Spidey failing to stop a foe, or getting into unnecessary danger, because he has run out of web-fluid.

Help me fill out the rest, folks! =)

4. Bridges, and the saving of people who have been thrown off or have jumped off them.

5. Spider-Man being trapped under a tremendous amount of rubble/machinery/stale Triscuits and having to lift them off himself as he monologues.

6. Spider-Man - no more! I mean it this time, honest!
    Who are Spider-Man's Greatest Villains? Find out here!

Well, at least in the early years...."Oh no, Betty Brant is mad at me for talking to Liz Allen".

Aunt May's repeated brushes with death. They have gone to that well way too aften.

BANNED

IM all fine with getting more and more symbiotes as long as
    A.) Clayton Crain is Drawing them
    B.) Rick Remmender is Writing them

Good idea for a thread. I like the list so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Aunt May's repeated brushes with death. They have gone to that well way too aften.
    I agree with this, and I'd consider adding the 'Spider-Man coming between Peter and a girl too, although considering the status quo that could exhaust story options a bit. On the other hand, we have seen those stories many times before.

Spider-Man. How many times has he appeared now? Isn't it enough?
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

^ lol

He runs out of webbing?
    Bad news everyone...

piling on credibility-pushing arbitrary bad-luck scenarios one after another, allegedly in the name of making Pete/Spidey more "every day joe" relatable.

Everything being about Peter feeling guilty.

It is core to his being and behavior, but it gets tedious and predictable.
    "There comes a time, when even gods must die." - Lex Luthor

Never underestimate a farmboy: Just look at Superman, Luke Skywalker, and Link!

Coming down with the cold or flu like virus or his arm hurt.

Wait! I know! The most overplayed thing with a Spider-Man comic is reading a 3 page preview and fixating on it till you find SOMETHING to complain about! :-) Ooh! Like a pop culture reference! That's worse than cancer! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    3. Too many Symbiotes!
    The third arch-nemesis of Spidey, after the Goblin and Ock, is Venom. HOWEVER, that does not mean that we need 50 other symbiote enemies! Enough with the Symbiotes already!
    I think this was a valid complaint in the 90's, but not any more (Marvel has cut down on their symbiote exposure). I was a fan of Brock's little gig as the symbiote killer last year - it help thin the herd. I am for new symbiote characters IF they are unique (Scorn) and are not just carbon copies of Venom and they are actually used in more stories other than an origin. I am okay with the 4 we currently have (Venom, Carnage, Toxin, Scorn); however, I wouldn't be opposed to cutting that down to 3 (sorry Scorn). Also, the whole Team Mercury (while a cool take on the symbiotes) can go away as well.
    TheVenomSite.com - An informational site dedicated to everything Venom.

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Slott View Post
    Wait! I know! The most overplayed thing with a Spider-Man comic is reading a 3 page preview and fixating on it till you find SOMETHING to complain about! :-) Ooh! Like a pop culture reference! That's worse than cancer! ;-)
    Well, to be fair Peter's been around since the early 60s. Old people can't use modern pop culture references. Everybody knows that.

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

I'm going to preempt the rest of these responses by saying that if you add anything to it, you have outgrown Spider-Man comics and should move on to something that you actually enjoy.

It's okay...
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW