Thread: The Invisibles

Hybrid View

Default The Invisibles

How is Grant Morrison's Invisibles? i wanted to check it out. What is it about? Thank you

BANNED

It's about a multi-dimensional alien conspiracy that controls the world and how a secret resistance called the Invisibles fights it.

Seriously, if you are newer to Morrison, don't start with Invisibles. Try New X-Men and JLA first, and then after that Seven Soldiers. Those should ease you in to his surreal style of writing.

I always say and recommend this, but I would also check out his Doom Patrol, maybe even before the others Holmes mentioned. From what I have read, they have a very similar feel (read all of DP, a bit of Invisibles).

I will say that though I enjoyed Invisibles, I didn't like it as much as his other work.
    Writers before artists.
    Artists before concepts.
    Concepts before characters.

BANNED

Yeah I think New X-Men works as a precursor to Doom Patrol and Invisibles, because it has a lot of the same themes as those books, but it's much less weird and surreal, and more superhero-y. It's no doubt a weaker book than those two, but it works as a gateway so-to-speak.

JLA is probably the simplest thing he's done, and it has some thematic tie-in with Invisibles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah I think New X-Men works as a precursor to Doom Patrol and Invisibles, because it has a lot of the same themes as those books, but it's much less weird and surreal, and more superhero-y. It's no doubt a weaker book than those two, but it works as a gateway so-to-speak.

JLA is probably the simplest thing he's done, and it has some thematic tie-in with Invisibles.

I tried to read Doom Patrol, but it was too odd. I think there was a group of villains called the Dadaists!

Invisibles I read the first three volumes but I felt loss.

New X Men I just loved, almost as much as JLA but the rotating artists really knocked me out. My first exposure to Quitely I think.

I want to get into the Invisibles badly though because that hard cover onmnibus is just too sweet.

The Invisibles is mostly good, but the final volume completely lost me. I barely understood a word of it.

IMO The Filth is a very similar style of book by Morrison, but much more successful.