Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Bands You Feel Are Ruined by the Singer

Title should be pretty explanatory.

Two bands come to mind, Dream Theater and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

For DT, this song kind of does it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad_chktqWLo

Such a sick melody to open the whole song. The around 2:30 the vocals come on and the whole song becomes unlistenable. I've also seen the band cover songs like Master Puppets. You can see John Petrucci guitar circles around Kirk Hammett, but again the singer is insufferable.

Next RHCP. I know Anthony Kiedis has his charms to people, but he just sounds like a bad karaoke guy.

Jebediah (Aussie indy/punk band from the 90s). Some good songs, but the singer has the most punchable voice I've ever heard.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quite a few hardcore/emo/screamo punk bands. The screamy singers rarely do it for me but the music is usually awesome. Born Against is the first band that comes to mind.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

Nirvana is the first band that came to mind. Cobain's lyrics and vocals just don't hold up that well.

Few days on drugs? Lovely pepper's Avatar

I love Sonic Youth but I can't stand Kim Gordon. Most of time it sounds like she's puking.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Nirvana is the first band that came to mind. Cobain's lyrics and vocals just don't hold up that well.
    Agree.

BANNED

Heh, I love that avatar.

Pantera

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post

For DT, this song kind of does it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad_chktqWLo

Such a sick melody to open the whole song. The around 2:30 the vocals come on and the whole song becomes unlistenable. I've also seen the band cover songs like Master Puppets. You can see John Petrucci guitar circles around Kirk Hammett, but again the singer is insufferable.

Next RHCP. I know Anthony Kiedis has his charms to people, but he just sounds like a bad karaoke guy.

As much as I like DT and was lucky enough to see them live once many years ago I find in both the metal and prog catagories James LaBrie doesn't cut it for me.Not necessarily every song but...

Creed comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison4Life View Post
    Creed comes to mind.
    Well, if we're going to nominate those based on behavior instead of ability then Guns N' Roses

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Lamb of God.

First time I ever heard them, I was really digging the music, and then the singer opened his mouth and I was DONE with the band.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bison4Life View Post
    Creed comes to mind.
    Well, if we're going to nominate those based on behavior instead of ability then Guns N' Roses
    When it comes to ability, I find bands like Creed, GnR, KoRn and Pantera to be stocked with players of marginal talent. In GnR's case, all the replacements (Fortus, Buckethead, Brain) have been better than the originals (Stradlin, McKagan, Adler). The vocalists in all those bands suck, too, with even Jonathan Davis somehow sounding more annoying/grating than Axl Roseypalm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post

Kiedis' problem is that he's phoned in all his vocal melodies for the last three albums (exception: "Around The World," which sounds like something from Mother's Milk). They sound like mumblings he recorded into a device as he walked along the beach. The lyrics/songs haven't been too great, though Flea and Chad are still a very good if not great rhythm section.

As for Dream Theater...I got rid of everything after Awake. I only need the first album (with Dominici) and the next two. Falling Into Infinity is alright if a little trendy for the time, and I liked A Change Of Seasons better than that. But Scenes From A Memory onward...I tossed 'em. I don't need that level of wankitude anymore because I'm not seventeen. Yeah, Petrucci plays circles around a lot of guys but a blizzard of notes gets boring. Jordan is a technically amazing musician, but I don't know, he's kind of boring in his virtuosity, if that makes sense. When every song is a clinic, it DOES get boring.

I concur, James is the biggest reason I don't have anything after the aforementioned Awake. He did get sick in the mid-90s and it affected his throat and he's somehow sounded different since. He doesn't cut it as a metal or prog singer. He was in a melodic hard rock band before Dream Theater, and that's the kind of music he should sing.

Btw, the song you linked to is a shameless aping of Tool's sound. James' vocal really blows and Jordan sounds like he has NO idea what to play. That's what happens when you have four wankers trying to play all over each other.
    Last edited by verslibre; 02-16-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Lowe/Piece/Understatement Artycool8or's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Lamb of God.

First time I ever heard them, I was really digging the music, and then the singer opened his mouth and I was DONE with the band.
    I thought I had no horse in this race... until I saw your post.
    Mine was the very same experience, back circa 1992
    Coming home from a nightshirt in a long commute drive between the workplace and home with two of my cousins, one got hold of a strange track he felt obligated to play it for me, since he knew how much I love/d well crafted and executed instrumental songs.
    I was blow away, I wish I know which song it was, but it was an instrumental, all right.
    From the time they were " Burn The Priest" (Demo)
    Later in 1997, I bought their first CD based on what I knew about them from before.
    Boy was I disappointed.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The issues with Guns n Roses was more of a band thing. The bands from that era of LA rarely could stay together long. Its why they weren't signed awhile to a record deal as labels wondered if they could get 1 album....let alone more from them. In one DVD I have a former manager joked it was some big thing that original band managed to actually put out 3-4 albums . Because they didn't seem like they would survive that long before self destructing.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.