Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tunneler View Post
    It is okay for the books to be dark because the target audience males 18-34 prefers darker and edgier comics with lots of violence.
    Okay, then why do I like the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, FF, Bone, and Ame-Comi Girls comics?

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Dude are u kidding? My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is hardcore stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Dude are u kidding? My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is hardcore stuff.
    Well I suppose the Invasion of the Body Snatchers stuff going on in the first issue was pretty frickin dark.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    Don't be so sure. I would buy the sh*t out of "Nightwing Smile Hour" AND "Babs Goes To A Tea Party."

Those sounds like AWESOME books.

And also, I do kind of agree with you. All my favorite Nightwing & Babs stories both have been about the joy of the adventure, the desire to do good and have fun while doing it. I've definitely missed that since the reboot.

I'm glad that Chuck Dixon's "Batgirl: Year One" and "Robin: Year One" are being reprinted, at least. Those are two shining examples of the adventure, growth, and joy school of do-gooding that both characters used to definitely excel at.
    I'm with you on all that and while we're at it let's replace BoP with a bright Adventures of Kickass Cass and Waffle Chef Steph.

It is okay for the books to be dark because the target audience males 18-34 prefers darker and edgier comics with lots of violence.
    lol what an arbitrary age group.

What I want from my Bat-books: lots of mysterious and suspenseful atmosphere.

What I don't want from my Bat-books: depressing nihilism.

Unfortunately, I think nihilism is a lot easier to do than creating actual atmosphere. It's an easy shortcut and a cheap pop, but I have no interest in it and nothing will get me to drop a book faster. At least with super-hero books. If a super-hero comic is more depressing and less fun than real life, why put myself through it?

It's nice to see fans finally speak out against the crossovers,mundane horror and nihilism.The complaints are getting stronger with each passing week.
    Last edited by darkseidpwns; 01-26-2013 at 11:52 PM.

I'm 21 and I hate it hmmmmm.It comes down to format and media,If I wanted actual horror then I'd rather go watch a movie or read a novel,I dont read superhero comics for horror.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    It's nice to see fans finally speak out against the crossovers,mundane horror and nihilism.The complaints are getting stronger with each passing weak.
    And so are the sales numbers. Everything about the new 52 shows that it's what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    It's nice to see fans finally speak out against the crossovers,mundane horror and nihilism.The complaints are getting stronger with each passing week.
    Indeed. I suppose after Morrison the direction the new52 books took was refreshing to some folks. But just skimming through the comments month to month it does seem more people are starting to become dissatisfied all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    And so are the sales numbers. Everything about the new 52 shows that it's what matters.
    So, are you trying to say that sales are getting stronger with every passing week? What titles are you referring to here and where are you getting that from, exactly?

The funny thing is, Nightwing keeps talking about how he has to step out of Bruce's shadow and make a name for himself (which I'm totally cool with as that is how Nightwing came to be) but Kyle Higgins seems to just follow along with what Snyder is doing in the Bat-verse. I've enjoyed the title enough so far, but the quality somewhat goes up and down from issue to issue. There's not a lot of consistency and I think a more lighthearted tone would benefit the book greatly. Higgins should take some cues from what Mark Waid has done with Daredevil.

Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    So, are you trying to say that sales are getting stronger with every passing week? What titles are you referring to here and where are you getting that from, exactly?
    My fault, I didn't expressed that right. While the sales numbers keep going up with every crossover, I don't think the editorial is going to lose sleep because of the complains, especially when the reviews are as kind as the ones for DotF
    Last edited by Rakiduam; 01-27-2013 at 02:06 AM.

I like the dark tone of the books - for me, as with all Batman related books, the edgier, darker, and grimmier the better.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Dude while im kind of tired of the excessive darkness in titles like Nightwing and the crossovers myself, have u seen what the current crossover has done to the sales of these books? These crossovers do sell, are selling, which is why they do them. The market doesn't seem to share the same sentiment.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-27-2013 at 03:30 AM.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Dude while im kind of tired of the excessive darkness in titles like Nightwing and the crossovers myself, have u seen what the current crossover has done to the sales of these books? These crossovers do sell, are selling, which is why they do them. The market doesn't seem to share the same sentiment.
    Unfortunately (from my perspective) there seems to be a lot of truth to this. Apparently more people want to wallow in depression when they read comics than read about fun inspiring characters. I complain about it because I just don't get it. The Marvel movies do extremely well and they aren't of this dark ilk generally. But I guess with the distribution system problems of the industry comics have given up trying to reach a larger general audience. Those who want something different need to vote with their wallets and pocket books as I am now doing. Just say "no."