Page 48 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Really, if this story were to take place anywhere it would be in New Avengers. So if it were done (hypothetically) it would likely be done by Hickman himself. If it happens at all (and there's obviously no indication it would) it would likely be a part of his grand plan.

Unless of course T'Challa gets his own book... then you're potentially in a situation where one characters plan may conflict with anothers. Right now T'Challa really only has one guy handling him, so I don't see much chance for any significant derailment.
    Well--Brevoort, Joe Q and Axel are a part of his new status Quo--and for Shuri sake--I want her as Queen.

One of the ways you can get around the name "Man-ape" is give him a distinctly African name. Like for example Hausa or Bantu. You can even joke about the English translation of the name "Ha Ha Ha what does that mean something like Man ape or something?" and then have that person beaten to a red mist by him. That would get the name out of the way and tell the audience that Man ape means death. Literal translations that are weird in english. "El Tigre Blanco" or "gato cosmicos" ( white tiger and thunder cats respectively) can fall under the silly name thing. It would just show that he is more then a man or greater than an ape.
    HE'S THE *%$&#* BLACK PANTHER!

Quote Originally Posted by Panther23 View Post
    One of the ways you can get around the name "Man-ape" is give him a distinctly African name. Like for example Hausa or Bantu. You can even joke about the English translation of the name "Ha Ha Ha what does that mean something like Man ape or something?" and then have that person beaten to a red mist by him. That would get the name out of the way and tell the audience that Man ape means death. Literal translations that are weird in english. "El Tigre Blanco" or "gato cosmicos" ( white tiger and thunder cats respectively) can fall under the silly name thing. It would just show that he is more then a man or greater than an ape.
    In Hudlins Flag of Our Fathers, the guy in the monkey suit was named Silverback I think. I thought that had a nice ring to it personally.

Though if they just called him M'Baku I'd be cool with that.

To me the name and costume is cosmetic. The character below the window dressing is a good one (IMO).
    Last edited by XPac; 02-10-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Nah u cannot the name is simply never going to work ever.
    Name doesnt define d xcter otherwise BP/Tchalla wud b expected 2 b sum sorta stereotypical supa-black militant which he is NOT.

Stan Lee: "No such thing as bad xcters, just bad writers"...hek if Goblin/Osborn can b transformd in2 a compelling threat of d Avengers..."Goblin"?!?

As of d name....we/SZ suggest M'Baka b calld SILVERBAK based on his white-silver...-ish fursuit & also ties well in2 d Gorilla cult.

D name does hv sum offense....or rather is offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Name doesnt define d xcter otherwise BP/Tchalla wud b expected 2 b sum sorta stereotypical supa-black militant which he is NOT.

Stan Lee: "No such thing as bad xcters, just bad writers"...hek if Goblin/Osborn can b transformd in2 a compelling threat of d Avengers..."Goblin"?!?

As of d name....we/SZ suggest M'Baka b calld SILVERBAK based on his white-silver...-ish fursuit & also ties well in2 d Gorilla cult.

D name does hv sum offense....or rather is offensive.
    Silverback is a better more descriptive name for him.
    HE'S THE *%$&#* BLACK PANTHER!

Quote Originally Posted by Panther23 View Post
    Sure, but it's beyond his name--it's the concept of the character--it's problematic. The visual, the imagery. You will have to fundamentally change the character to make him work and at that point--it might not be worth it; you might end up lossing the essence of the character.

He can't have a tech based suit--since he's a traditionalist. The Were-Ape Is probably the only way to make it work. But a large tribal black man with a Ape skin thrown over his back and head--is something disney will shy away from.

I agree with the name thing, you could do that--but when the translation comes about--then what?
    Last edited by Victor Freeman; 02-10-2013 at 09:20 AM.

In Hudlins Flag of Our Fathers, the guy in the monkey suit was named Silverback I think. I thought that had a nice ring to it personally.

Though if they just called him M'Baku I'd be cool with that.

To me the name and costume is cosmetic. The character below the window dressing is a good one (IMO).
    I agree. It's finding the right formula with the cosmetic aspects--that align with the character below the window dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Freeman View Post
    Sure, but it's beyond his name--it's the concept of the character--it's problematic. The visual, the imagery. You will have to fundamentally change the character to make him work and at that point--it might not be worth it; you might end up lossing the essence of the character.

He can't have a tech based suit--since he's a traditionalist. The Were-Ape Is probably the only way to make it work. But a large tribal black man with a Ape skin thrown over his back and head--is something disney will shy away from.

I agree with the name think, you could do that--but when the translation comes about--then what?
    I don't think the concept itself is offensive. A guy gaining power from a mystical ape isn't in and of itself racist. On paper you can argue that's no worse than getting your powers from a Spider or a Panther or whatever. It's just that it can be interpreted that way.

But tweak the name and the costume, and I think it's workable. Truthfully Man Ape has been operating for decades as is, so the damage is done if there's any damage to be had. But he can be tweaked if he needs to be tweaked. Again, there is a good character there aside from the name and the costume.

I don't think the concept itself is offensive. A guy gaining power from a mystical ape isn't in and of itself racist. On paper you can argue that's no worse than getting your powers from a Spider or a Panther or whatever. It's just that it can be interpreted that way.

But tweak the name and the costume, and I think it's workable. Truthfully Man Ape has been operating for decades as is, so the damage is done if there's any damage to be had. But he can be tweaked if he needs to be tweaked. Again, there is a good character there aside from the name and the costume.
    Yeah, but most people haven't seen it. When they do--it will be a negative reaction. He didn't get his like spiderman or Panther--he eats a Ape. You run the risk of racist--attaching things to the character and also racial meme's.

Comic fans,sure--but more then comic fans are going to be exposed to the movie.

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

The real bitch is..... A silver back ape attacking me is in my top 5 animal attacks I don't want to have happen

1. Shark
    2. Tiger, lion, feline
    3. Alligator, crocodile
    4. Large ape
    5. Bear

That's the list

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Freeman View Post
    Yeah, but most people haven't seen it. When they do--it will be a negative reaction. He didn't get his like spiderman or Panther--he eats a Ape. You run the risk of racist--attaching things to the character and also racial meme's.

Comic fans,sure--but more then comic fans are going to be exposed to the movie.
    Sure... like I said, if you have to tweak him (for the movie or whatever) tweak him.

You often do that more movies anyways, for a variety of reasons. Changes are fine so long as you can retain the essence of the character.

I was actually saying that with how do you do it.

1) Stylized-Ape modified-technology stripped Hatut Zerze habit. This Strictly cosmetic. Think, HZ habit only with a stylized ape cowl.

2) A form of lycanthropy--without the actual transformation--similar to how Were-things are while they are in human form or easy example--spiderman. He doesn't eat the ape flesh, but gains it how were wolves do.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    The real bitch is..... A silver back ape attacking me is in my top 5 animal attacks I don't want to have happen

1. Shark
    2. Tiger, lion, feline
    3. Alligator, crocodile
    4. Large ape
    5. Bear

That's the list
    Guess u'll b fine with an anaconda...lol!

Willy Wonka Swagger! FLEX HECTIC's Avatar

M'baku as a poacher of apes and other animals works well and offends only animal right activists who have to acknowledge that he is a bad guy and keep it moving and protest something else.

Christian Bale wanted nothing to do with having a Robin sidekick character in the new Batman films so they worked in a Nightwing angle at the end of Dark Knight Rises with Detective Blake long after the Bruce Wayne character had moved on to European fine dining with Catwoman... Bale never stood side by side with an underaged teen dressed as a bird and everybody collected big paychecks and lived financially ever after.

Why bother with things that will only offend and cause problems in the long run if all you want to do is get a Black Panther movie off the ground and cash some checks?

You are already rolling the dice with the character being named "Black Panther" as it is so adding something that could easily be left out and not missed except by a few is not even worth it.

Man-Ape... I put that right next to Jar Jar Binks and that "Watermelon" colored negrobot in The Transformers 2 movie that could not read despite being a technologically advanced living robot robot who could scan anything that he needed to be.

Michael Bay had to fast track an excuse for that one (Writer's strike... Yada yada yada) and the heat got so bad a whole other range of racial problems erupted on the set that extended to the third installment... Not saying that is why Megan Fox left the franchise but she did call him a Hitler and made other racial references.

The race card is a motha frakker so who needs all that racial drama for a multibillion dollar franchise?

When Black Panther the movie debuts many eyes will be watching for any and everything to either derail the movie or to hail the movie... Don't give them stupid excuses when as grown folks you know better!
    Kanye West: "Marvel Comics does not like Black Panther!"

I am a T.R.O.L.L.... Totally Ruling On Line Linguistics!

You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you don't you!

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Guess u'll b fine with an anaconda...lol!

Someone had to not make the list

I feel like I have a better chance of unwrapping a python or avoiding a snake