Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default To all the Superman Complaint Squad members

Constant whining about H'el on Earth and about Grant's work on Action Comics just makes me shake my head.
    I have been reading Superman titles since 1979 and was a hard core every issue reader from the Byrne Reboot all the way up thru the triangle era until the Electric Superman ended my obsession with the comics.
    If you guys think THIS new era is bad I beg of you PLEASE go back and read Electric Superman and some of the Post-Death/Return issues with Superman sporting a Mullet and then come back complaining about what we have now.
    Go hang out around 1995-1996. Go look at Jon Bognove's drawing in Man of Steel from that era and then come back complaining.
    We are living in an exciting new era in which ACTION has returned to Action Comics and the storylines are pure fantasy and adventure rather than a bunch of foil covered hogwash so I wish more people would appreciate it. I love the New 52 version and am glad to be a regular reader again.

The 90's werent all bad, there was some amazing stuff for a couple years after Clark's return, the Metropolis clone wars and Action #600. I mean, by 96 or 97, it had largely fallen apart, but there were still a couple years in there.

If you want a really bad decade of Superman, read the stuff from the 2000's. I mean, after Our Worlds At War in 2001 there was almost nothing worth looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    The 90's werent all bad, there was some amazing stuff for a couple years after Clark's return, the Metropolis clone wars and Action #600. I mean, by 96 or 97, it had largely fallen apart, but there were still a couple years in there.

If you want a really bad decade of Superman, read the stuff from the 2000's. I mean, after Our Worlds At War in 2001 there was almost nothing worth looking at.
    You could be right. I skipped everything from 1997 or so until The New 52 sticking to Superman Chronicles and other reprints.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
    Constant whining about H'el on Earth and about Grant's work on Action Comics just makes me shake my head.
    I have been reading Superman titles since 1979 and was a hard core every issue reader from the Byrne Reboot all the way up thru the triangle era until the Electric Superman ended my obsession with the comics.
    If you guys think THIS new era is bad I beg of you PLEASE go back and read Electric Superman and some of the Post-Death/Return issues with Superman sporting a Mullet and then come back complaining about what we have now.
    Go hang out around 1995-1996. Go look at Jon Bognove's drawing in Man of Steel from that era and then come back complaining.
    We are living in an exciting new era in which ACTION has returned to Action Comics and the storylines are pure fantasy and adventure rather than a bunch of foil covered hogwash so I wish more people would appreciate it. I love the New 52 version and am glad to be a regular reader again.
    Sorry, but . . . no. I gave up on comic books in general in 1995, and had only started to get back on board regularly in 2010. I missed the red/blue bit, but did buy some of New Krypton and Grounded and was dissappointed. I tried some of Morrison's Acton Comics but felt his Clark was to obnoxious for my taste. I liked George Pérez' take on Superman, but we all know what editorial confusion and interference did to that book, and since I felt Lobdell's The Culling effort was a mistake (to put it politely), I only gave him the one issue of Superman before I dropped that, too.

To me, the current Superman run sucks; giving Superboy to DeFalco seemed like going from forgetable to worse; and now the Superman-related books I still liked have either been cancelled (Superman Family Adventures) or sucked into a poorly-timed unwanted crossover event causing me to drop it (Supergirl).

So, am I suppose to be happy or something, or do you want me to smile and think "This is garbage, but it's actually been worse in the past . . . gosh, I'm so happy it's not worse"? Yeah, right.

If people like it, good for them . . . but I'll continue to believe those are naive, misguided fools with questionable taste.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 01-26-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If people like it, good for them . . . but I'll continue to believe those are naive, misguided fools with questionable taste.
    I slap you with a glove.

I agree that now has been the most fun to read Superman in Ages, but I missed out and caught up on trades of the Busiek stuff. That was stellar. For me the unre-readable stuff is New Krypton on... I liked Lex's Action too!

Re Member

The constant need some fans have to tell people to "shut up and take it" when they don't like the direction of a book or storyline just makes me shake my head. I've been a hard core Superman reader as well, in my case since 1959, and I have no problem with people calling something badly written when they think it is. The fact that there's been badly written stuff in the past doesn't change whether the current story is badly written, or mean that the reader should just think BOHICA. Saying they should is just a bad case of pathetic boosterism.

Re Member

I slap you with a glove.
    Yum... hit me again.

Superman books may have been worse in the past but that wouldn't change the quality of them now. The whole "Go back and look at how terrible it was" argument only really works if you couldn't go back and look at how great it was. Even still, quality isn't relative to what's come before; it's dependent on how well the story is being told and what each person likes.

You're talking about lame visual cues. Fine. Yeah, mullets suck. Way to go out on a limb. But the characterizations of that period were very strong.

And I don't know what you have against Bogdanove's art. He had a very classical-looking Superman, and he drew my favorite Lois of all-time. And I say that as a pre-Crisis Superman fan.

Bog drew superman like a hulkish blob not a "classical looking" Superman in the least.
    Superman is supposed to be fantasy and escapism. What is NOT fantastic about H'el on Earth and the Morrison run?? I have seen so many nitpicky complaints in the past few months it's ridiculous.

Bog drew superman like a hulkish blob not a "classical looking" Superman in the least.
    Superman is supposed to be fantasy and escapism. What is NOT fantastic about H'el on Earth and the Morrison run?? I have seen so many nitpicky complaints in the past few months it's ridiculous.

Bog was more classical in the sense of a Wayne Boring barrel wider-build and Joe Shuster facial features at times. His Superman broke the mold of more "realistic" Swan inspired takes of the time (except the Ordway Jaw, man that thing was huge).

Kind of like your nitpicky complaints about Bogdanove.

Thankfully, you're not the supreme taste-maker of the universe, and you need to realize that people won't always agree with you.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Certified Mar-Vell Zombie Comet Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Thankfully, you're not the supreme taste-maker of the universe, and you need to realize that people won't always agree with you.
    The same goes for you, but I disagree with you, and agree with the threadstarter.
    I seriously miss Captain Mar-Vell.