Default Newbie to comics seeks advice!

Hiya I am and have been a huge SuperheroFan since I was a child and have watched nearly all of DC comic adaptions wheather it be any cartoon, tv show or film. I have only recently bought my first few comics (None being DC yet) for I have not been close to a single comicbook store till now.

My question are these:-

Is there any good new 52 dc comics to start out with?
    I am a fan of Superboy so is his 52 series any good?
    Is there anything with Captian Marvel or Blue Beetle in 52?
    And lastly is the new Superman any good even with the Wonder Woman romance?
    (sorry was brought up on Superman with Lois Lane so hearing he was with some one else was weird but might give it a try if comic good)

Quote Originally Posted by cofsbro View Post
    Yes, there are lots. People's opinions differ, you're probably best just trying whatever you think looks good. If you buy them online from Comixology, DC reduced the price of all the New 52 first issues to a dollar, so you can sample a lot at a low price. Comixology works on any computer with an internet connection, and most smartphones and tablets. If you have a tablet I recommend that, but it's good on computers too.

I don't like it, but then again I don't like the character of Superboy either.

Blue Beetle's New 52 series was bad and just recently cancelled. Captain Marvel (who is now called "Shazam") has a backup story in Justice League which has been outstanding.

Superman appears in a few different books. He is the lead character in Action Comics and Superman, and the Superman & Wonder Woman romance probably gets the most attention in Justice League. Action Comics has been inconsistent; it's intelligent but the writing gets a little convoluted and jumps around a lot. If you want a challenging read I'd go with that. The Superman title was terrible until the zero issue and #13 on, when the writer changed and it's gotten a lot better. I really like the Justice League book, and since you like Shazam and are new to DC Comics I think you should probably check that out.

(sorry was brought up on Superman with Lois Lane so hearing he was with some one else was weird but might give it a try if comic good)
    Welcome to the forum!

1) There are some very good books in the New 52 some middling books and some not so good. The Best to me personally Have been Earth 2 and Flash

2) The current Superboy comic has been plague by constantly being hijacked by one event or after another. I've been reading it and just really can't say it's been good or even decent.

3) Captain Marvel (he is now called Shazam as Marvel comics owns the rights to the Captain Marvel name, his power works slightly different as he has to will himself to change when he says Shazam instead of just changing when he says the word) has been the back up in Justice League for awhile. It's an interesting read but it's not the same Billy/Captain Marvel dynamic that you are used to from the cartoons.

Blue Beetle had an on-going (which just ended with issue 16) He will be making appearances in a new book called Threshold. You probably can find back issues or Trade Paper backs of the newest run at most Comic Shops and of the last run too (which many people have told me was better though I've not read it myself)

4) The Superman Wonder Woman romance hasn't really been much of a focus that I've seen in any book except Justice League and there it's just been kinda ehh.. They used it as a plot point in Justice League International but other than that it's been mentioned here and there and I think they showed Supes and WW on one date (where he taught her the benefits of a secret identity.) It may be used for more plot points soon.

Good Luck finding the books you are interested in. Hope you enjoy the forums!
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

Hiya I am and have been a huge SuperheroFan since I was a child and have watched nearly all of DC comic adaptions wheather it be any cartoon, tv show or film. I have only recently bought my first few comics (None being DC yet) for I have not been close to a single comicbook store till now.

In my opinion, you should definitely check out the New 52. There are a lot of mixed opinions but by and large I feel like the majority of the books have a lot to offer. If you're into more traditional superhero books, check out The Flash (with fantastic art by Francis Manapul), Batman, and Aquaman. I'm a Superman (and all the related books) collector, but the Superman title has had its problems in the New 52. That said, with Lobdell and Rocafort as a new creative team and the H'El on Earth crossover, the title has been pretty good. Supergirl has had some great issues and has a solid trajectory with a believable feel to the main character as a lonely, lost teen in a new world. Overall I recommend trying out nearly any of the New 52, with my favorites being Action Comics, Batman, Swamp Thing, and Green Lantern, but give any of the titles a go and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Superboy's title is one I'm just getting familiar with, but the storyline is pretty interesting. He's a clone with human and Kryptonian DNA in the series, and I really dig the scifi aspect to the storyline. Pick up the paperback volume 1 and you're not dropping too much cash to get caught up.

Captain Marvel and Blue Beetle were covered pretty well by the other posters. I'll add that the Shazam backups in Justice League have been fun, with great detailed artwork by Gary Frank.

And like the others said, the Superman/Wonder Woman romance is mostly in Justice League. That said, it's a decently motivated story, with both characters feeling very out of place by events surrounding recent issues. I don't think it will last. But it did make for some very quick costume changes during a recent "date". I guess you'd have to expect some trouble when an alien and an Amazon decide to have cocktails... but where did she keep the lasso, in her handbag?

Best advice: Take a look at the recent set of collected volume 1 graphic novels, and pick up the 3 that most appeal to you. Keep an open mind and have fun collecting again!!!

In my opinion, you should definitely check out the New 52. There are a lot of mixed opinions but by and large I feel like the majority of the books have a lot to offer. If you're into more traditional superhero books, check out The Flash (with fantastic art by Francis Manapul), Batman, and Aquaman. I'm a Superman (and all the related books) collector, but the Superman title has had its problems in the New 52. That said, with Lobdell and Rocafort as a new creative team and the H'El on Earth crossover, the title has been pretty good. Supergirl has had some great issues and has a solid trajectory with a believable feel to the main character as a lonely, lost teen in a new world. Overall I recommend trying out nearly any of the New 52, with my favorites being Action Comics, Batman, Swamp Thing, and Green Lantern, but give any of the titles a go and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Superboy's title is one I'm just getting familiar with, but the storyline is pretty interesting. He's a clone with human and Kryptonian DNA in the series, and I really dig the scifi aspect to the storyline. Pick up the paperback volume 1 and you're not dropping too much cash to get caught up.

Captain Marvel and Blue Beetle were covered pretty well by the other posters. I'll add that the Shazam backups in Justice League have been fun, with great detailed artwork by Gary Frank.

And like the others said, the Superman/Wonder Woman romance is mostly in Justice League. That said, it's a decently motivated story, with both characters feeling very out of place by events surrounding recent issues. I don't think it will last. But it did make for some very quick costume changes during a recent "date". I guess you'd have to expect some trouble when an alien and an Amazon decide to have cocktails... but where did she keep the lasso, in her handbag?

Best advice: Take a look at the recent set of collected volume 1 graphic novels, and pick up the 3 that most appeal to you. Keep an open mind and have fun collecting again!!!

Can only answer the first- YES!

There are tons of great titles. Batman is just wicked awesome. Batman Incorporated is also great, but that requires plenty of background reading as it is the culmination of a 6 year run. Justice League is more of an action movie, and is pretty good. Just don't expect a story that will stick in your mind.

Oh, and Action Comics is typically considered the best Superman book, although Superman has been better since issue 13
    There is a God. And he hates us all.

BANNED

Quick answers...Start with Justice League, wiki the end of Flashpoint, and just keep moving forward. Read Aquaman too. Great book!

Captain Marvel is now Shazam, and is featured in Justice League. You get to read both in one title. Awesome too.

Batman is great for new readers. I'd recommend Batman Incorporated, being the best book, but you need half a dozen old collected volumes to understand or care about the story. That book is married to the old continuity pretty heavy, while blending with the new.

Action Comics is great, just read it slowly. It's quite out there.

Books to avoid? Sadly, most of the solo character books. Blue Beetle, Hawkman, Deathstroke, Firestorm, etc. They're mediocre comics that seem to exist to pad out the publishing schedule.

Books that suck, but will get good next month? Green Arrow. That has a lot of hype going.

I will co-sign all the recommendations for Justice League, Action Comics, Batman, Flash, Aquaman, Earth-2. That's a very solid lineup right there.

I am really enjoying Justice League Dark. It started out a bit slow, but it really took off once Jeff Lemire stepped in as the writer. I also loved Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE, but it just ended. If you can get your hands on the full run, I'd bet you'd love it if you like action and adventure. I also really enjoy Batman and Detective Comics (now that John Layman is writing), Green Lantern and GL Corps, Supergirl, Nightwing, Aquaman in the New 52, and I am looking forward to buying Justice League of America and Green Arrow from 17 until Lemire stops writing it! I hope these recommendations help! I'd also recommend utilizing previews from this website, grabbing cheap copies from Comixology, and maybe even thumbing through some of the New52 trades that have come out at a Barnes and Noble just to get a feel for what you like.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations just got the Justice League vol 1 and loved it :) Hopefully Ill be able to try everything else you recommended.

El Sombrero
    Jadenewt
    protectorit
    Batman9
    DrSimonHurt
    and Superchino

also Jadenewt thanks for the welcome to the forums :)

For comics to start out with, I recommend the following:

+ Justice League Dark written by Jeff Lemire (Peter Milligan wrote it first, but to be perfectly honest, it wasn't a Justice League book despite what the title says)
    + Detective Comics written by John Layman (I would recommend this over any of the other Batman titles because of how easy it is to get into and incoporates the best of everything the other Batman titles has into it)
    + Wonder Woman (Just be warned that Wonder Woman is only really a supporting character in the comic. Despite being her comic, she doesn't feel anywhere as important as others are in it)
    + All Star Western (only if you like Westerns)
    + Justice League (Has lots of problems, but it is very fun and entertaining)
    + Animal Man & Swamp Thing (If you read one, you must read the other. Both go hand in hand until issue 19)
    + Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire (Actually starts next month, but hey, great time as any to jump aboard and try something new with the rest of us)

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    Yes, there are lots. People's opinions differ, you're probably best just trying whatever you think looks good. If you buy them online from Comixology, DC reduced the price of all the New 52 first issues to a dollar, so you can sample a lot at a low price. Comixology works on any computer with an internet connection, and most smartphones and tablets. If you have a tablet I recommend that, but it's good on computers too.

I don't like it, but then again I don't like the character of Superboy either.

Blue Beetle's New 52 series was bad and just recently cancelled. Captain Marvel (who is now called "Shazam") has a backup story in Justice League which has been outstanding.

Superman appears in a few different books. He is the lead character in Action Comics and Superman, and the Superman & Wonder Woman romance probably gets the most attention in Justice League. Action Comics has been inconsistent; it's intelligent but the writing gets a little convoluted and jumps around a lot. If you want a challenging read I'd go with that. The Superman title was terrible until the zero issue and #13 on, when the writer changed and it's gotten a lot better. I really like the Justice League book, and since you like Shazam and are new to DC Comics I think you should probably check that out.
    I agree here totally. To each their own when it comes to what one likes/dislikes. I say either pick a series or two as single issues to see if you like or do what I did: collect them in trades - the ones you're interested in - and follow along or stop of the story arc. I love the New 52, probably more than most, but like you I recently got back into comics and the New 52 was a great re-entry point for DC. Really happy lately with a lot of their titles.

Make sure you get Wonder Woman as well. Out of all the 'main' hero books, Wonder Woman is the best (only the Batman title might edge it out imo)
    ಠ_ಠ