BANNED

Default Bendis Ultimate X-Men Any Good?

Brian Bendis is hit and miss for me. I like Bendis's Spider-Man run, but not much else he's done. Now I tried All New X-Men, which is surprisingly quite good.

I got into Marvel comics largely through reading Ultimate Marvel trades in my high school library, as well as Grant Morrison's New X-Men later on. Mark Millar's run was okay, but felt kind of superficial. Is Bendis's run any better? How does it compare to other 616 X-Men runs?

Bendis' "Ultimate X-Men" run consisted of two arcs. The first was a Wolverine-centric action story guest-starring Daredevil and Spider-Man, which was good if you're into action stories. I'm not, so I enjoyed the second arc significantly more. It was really political, had some fun character moments, and intriguing (though somewhat confusing) plot developments, along with fun new Ultimatizations.
    "Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

BANNED

So he didn't do that much? Sounds okay though, I'll try this.

What about BKV's run?

Lots of fun character work in BKV's run, especially romance, and long-running plot threads. Brian K. Vaughn remembers what other writers do and acknowledges it, which is more than a lot of other writers nowadays can say. I really enjoyed his run; he really developed some of the "background" characters like Iceman, Rogue and Shadowcat, while putting Wolverine into the background, which was AWESOME.
    "Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

I enjoyed his run.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

BANNED

Thanks a lot.

Oh, and Bendis was nervous about writing Ultimate X-Men. He said it was harder than writing Ultimate Spider-Man. One thing, I didn't like about Bendis' first arc was that he brought Daredevil and Spider-Man in because he was more comfortable writing it. I love a story with Spider-Man and Daredevil but it just seemed wrong bringing them in so early.
    Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, Ultimate Comics: X-Men, Avengers, New Avengers and Superior Spider-Man and All-New X-Men.

Some of David Finch' s best work was when he penciled Bendis' run. I really liked his stories too.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderx3000 View Post
    Oh, and Bendis was nervous about writing Ultimate X-Men. He said it was harder than writing Ultimate Spider-Man. One thing, I didn't like about Bendis' first arc was that he brought Daredevil and Spider-Man in because he was more comfortable writing it. I love a story with Spider-Man and Daredevil but it just seemed wrong bringing them in so early.
    Yeah I agree, but just the scene with Spidey asking for 80 bucks from Black Widow (referring to Ultimate Team Up) was so hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Yeah I agree, but just the scene with Spidey asking for 80 bucks from Black Widow (referring to Ultimate Team Up) was so hilarious.
    Yeah I picked up alot of Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Marvel Team-Up comics in a second-hand shop a few months ago. i loved that reference.
    Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, Ultimate Comics: X-Men, Avengers, New Avengers and Superior Spider-Man and All-New X-Men.

Bendis's UXM stuff is ranked right behind Millar's. Brian Wood's latest stuff is pretty great though so that's going to be a contender for sure.
    Aquaman Aquaman and the Others Batman Batman and Robin Justice League Wonder Woman Star Trek Brilliant Black Science Manifest Destiny Morning Glories Saga Shutter The Wake