Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51
  1. #16
    Old and broken Pat Thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Who exactly? Can you give examples?
    Noh Varr seemed like a totally different guy. But what I was trying to get at is that the hype leading up to these books seems to have allowed the writers to get a pass when it comes to things like that. I used Bendis as an example because in the same situation, it creates an uproar. It could theoretically be any writer; and would the reaction be the same? I'm not trashing the books. Just confused by all the patience and understanding within this community.

  2. #17
    IMPERIUS REX!!! Rheged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlantean Embassy
    Posts
    16,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    My question refers to the reception of Young Avengers, Avengers, and New Avengers. While the Hickman books haven't been receiving rave reviews in these forums, there is a sense of goodwill being extended that the books will get better. Young Avengers, on the other hand, has been referred to as "brilliant" by many oh-so-knowledgeable readers, despite some character and continuity inconsistencies, and a story filled with long conversations, and short on action. These are common complaints I hear about Bendis. I haven't been blown away by any of these books, but it seems like these writers are getting a pass for the same things that Bendis was crucified for. Is this based on the recent success both writers have enjoyed? Or, would your opinion of the books stay the same if Bendis was the writer? I'm curious what you think.
    You act like every writer's dialogue is the same. A page of Gillen's dialog is fabulous, often fun, witty and informative. A page of Bendis dialog is more often repetitive, filled with 'uhmms' and 'yeahs' and ... painful.

    I'm not sure what you are referring to as 'short on action' for Young Avengers. There was dancing, Skrull invasion, Spider-Man robbery, magick casting, the Loki / MAC fight, and Teddy's mom.

  3. #18
    FRENCH Frank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Antartica
    Posts
    10,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daesim View Post
    The work Bendis produces for Marvel didn't dip much in quality, in my opinion. No, the reason he gets all the backlash that he does is because at one point, he was writing practically every major event for Marvel and it started to feel like you just couldn't get away from the guy.

    No matter how sweet the work produced, familiarity breeds contempt.
    His Avengers stuff was pretty common super-hero stuff compared to the brilliance of Alias and DD and Powers.

    As far as Hickman and the others, of course there's going to be goodwill since it's not Bendis. I have had piece of mind that I not have had for a long time.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

  4. #19
    I am Rabum Alal Victor Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,699

    Default

    It's really a matter of taste. For me Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers are great and the sort of comic I enjoy to read. But it's not for everyone. The same can be said for any comic or writer.

  5. #20
    BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London/NEW YORK
    Posts
    11,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Noh Varr seemed like a totally different guy.
    a) you do realise how ironic this comment in, when try to defend Bendis... right?
    b) Noh-var is a difficult one to write, because Bendis and Morrison are so juxtaposition; which interpretation do you go with? I think Gillen was BANG on the money, going for middle ground, and trying to explain the bizarre differences between the two versions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    But what I was trying to get at is that the hype leading up to these books seems to have allowed the writers to get a pass when it comes to things like that. I used Bendis as an example because in the same situation, it creates an uproar. It could theoretically be any writer; and would the reaction be the same? I'm not trashing the books. Just confused by all the patience and understanding within this community.
    Specifically with Kieron Gillen; he's EARNED patience and understanding. He made Uncanny X-men wonderful again, and made gold out of the sh*t that was AvX (if you haven't read his tie-in issues which explore motives, thoughts, REASONS (something so much of that event lacked) then you simply must). Then there is his critically acclaimed Journey into Mystery. Gillen delivers heart in a way I truthfully have never seen in Bendis' work (and I like his work). And, as I said earlier, the difference between "talkie talkie" when it's important, and when it's pointless is incredibly important.

    No-one is getting a pass. Fans are genuinely loving the comics.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

  6. #21
    Elder Member celticguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Freeman View Post
    It's really a matter of taste. For me Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers are great and the sort of comic I enjoy to read. But it's not for everyone. The same can be said for any comic or writer.

    Yup this nothing more need be said.

  7. #22
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    His Avengers stuff was pretty common super-hero stuff compared to the brilliance of Alias and DD and Powers.
    Yep. I'd also add the first 100 issues of USM to that list. Bendis' Avengers run, for me, started sucking by his sixth issue. It never got as good as his other work. On the other hand, his X-men run is as enjoyable as his best work. I just hope he can keep it up. Maybe the problem is that he writes too many damn titles. If he just did two at a time I think they'd all be great.

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    No-one is getting a pass. Fans are genuinely loving the comics.
    Not all of us though.

  9. #24
    Elder Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    58,994

    Default

    There are a lot of subjective elements in play here which makes it impossible to directly compare how people would react.

    I do think if it was the EXACT same book, with Bendis name on it instead of Gillens there would be more complaints though. But that just kind of comes with the territory of being a Bendis.

    Gillen is an up and coming guy. Give him a few years on some high profile books, and the internet will probably start hating on him too. That's just how it works.

  10. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    well he sure did kick Clint Barton's @$$. good thing Fraction saved him.
    Man, Hawkeye was "dead" for less than a year. Bendis also hooked him up with Spider-Woman. Fair trade.

  11. #26
    Old and broken Pat Thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There are a lot of subjective elements in play here which makes it impossible to directly compare how people would react.

    I do think if it was the EXACT same book, with Bendis name on it instead of Gillens there would be more complaints though. But that just kind of comes with the territory of being a Bendis.

    Gillen is an up and coming guy. Give him a few years on some high profile books, and the internet will probably start hating on him too. That's just how it works.
    It looks like you grasp what I was trying to get across about the writers. With the push these books recieved in these forums, and the anticipation, there just isn't the venom normally spewed about by the haters. Most everyone seems to be willing to let these books get established before rushing to judgement. That isn't a bad thing, it is just so uncharacteristic here. Compare what's being said about GOTG and Nova currently, to the lead-in to these books. I guess that's the difference between being a writer on the way up and one who is already there. Nowhere to go but down.

  12. #27
    Busy having an agenda.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    It looks like you grasp what I was trying to get across about the writers. With the push these books recieved in these forums, and the anticipation, there just isn't the venom normally spewed about by the haters. Most everyone seems to be willing to let these books get established before rushing to judgement. That isn't a bad thing, it is just so uncharacteristic here. Compare what's being said about GOTG and Nova currently, to the lead-in to these books. I guess that's the difference between being a writer on the way up and one who is already there. Nowhere to go but down.
    No that's the difference between a writer who delivers intriguing and engrossing fodder (Hickman) and one who delivers the sort of material one might better use the paper to wipe their behind with (Bendis).
    Busy having an agenda for daring to disagree with a chip on his shoulder bigot.

  13. #28
    disgruntled at best renne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeyMcGee View Post
    Maybe the problem is that he writes too many damn titles. If he just did two at a time I think they'd all be great.
    while i generally dislike bendis, i think this is a great part of his problem (i think i'd like him a lot more if i wasn't forced to have to read him on most of the characters i want to read about). he's writing so many different books that all his characters start to sound the same. hickman on the other hand isn't writing half the books in the marvel stable, so his characters all still sound like individuals.

  14. #29
    Senior Member Cowtools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Bendis' "talkie talkie" complaints WEREN'T about heavy dialogue, little action; it was about pointless dialogue and little action. BIG. DIFFERENCE. Yes, there was a lot of dialogue in Young Avengers, but all of it was important.
    This this THIS right here is the key.
    I mean, look at All-New X-Men: it's getting a great response on this site because while it's talky, the talk is actually plot and character relevant.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

  15. #30
    Senior Member West's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    Bendis sucks ***
    This man knows what is up

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •