Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Zero Dark Thirty

Just watched this and all I have to say is....

If this is the American idea of a successful military operation, I'd hate to see your idea of a clusterfuck.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post

If this is the American idea of a successful military operation, I'd hate to see your idea of a clusterfuck.
    i'm pretty sure that the american version ended in Bin Laden's death. Zero Dark Thirty's more like a movie.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

I saw it and I didn't think that a whole lot went wrong in that operation. How did you find them unsuccessful?

How did you find them unsuccessful?
    No british accents I guess :P

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post

Did you not like "her confidence" *spreads arms
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

I didn't like it because of the whole glamourising torture and making it look like it's an effective way to extract information, not to mention it's taken an interesting story and turned it into 24.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    I didn't like it because of the whole glamourising torture and making it look like it's an effective way to extract information, not to mention it's taken an interesting story and turned it into 24.
    Where did it glamourise torture?? I must have missed that part.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen

I've read that the film doesn't explicity condone or decry torture, making it easy to view the film as whatever you want it to be.

I hate movies like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walsh06 View Post
    Where did it glamourise torture?? I must have missed that part.

The fact it presents torture as an effective method of extracting information when it seems that the CIA didn't get the information about Bin Laden's driver from torture but through more conventional and effective methods. Adding in the torture scene is purely for dramatic effect, but it also helps make it look effective and therefore a glamourous and essential part of information gathering.

Which it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    I've read that the film doesn't explicity condone or decry torture, making it easy to view the film as whatever you want it to be.

I hate movies like this.
    It's worse than that, it pretends to do that but really it's giving you a wee wink that 'hey, we know torture works, eh kids!' while trying to be all morally ambiguous.

The fact it presents torture as an effective method of extracting information when it seems that the CIA didn't get the information about Bin Laden's driver from torture but through more conventional and effective methods. Adding in the torture scene is purely for dramatic effect, but it also helps make it look effective and therefore a glamourous and essential part of information gathering.

Which it isn't.
    Glamorous? What are you on about? It does the exact opposite. It shows just how shit torture is, and it showed that trickery and other methods were more effective.

Which it isn't.
    so by showing that it wasnt pleasant and doesnt work they made it seem super special awesome?? Some part of your logic is coming across here.

I didn't see it and honestly I probably won't. I just find the whole idea of making it into a movie already distasteful. I also tend to avoid propaganda films whenever possible as well.

Which it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    Glamorous? What are you on about? It does the exact opposite. It shows just how shit torture is, and it showed that trickery and other methods were more effective.
    Exactly! In the first instance, the guy they interrogate has a nervous breakdown to the point where he can't even think straight and gets temporary amnesia, thus the CIA fails to prevent another attack. The second instance shows that the one high-profile capture was trained to resist harsh interrogation and torture and thus they couldn't get a single thing out of him. The film makes it clear that once they started doing things like surveillance, following up leads, paying off informants, i.e. doing old-fashioned spying and detective work, they got better results which ultimately lead to OBL being taken out. The film makes it pretty clear, IMO, where it stands on the use of torture and "enhanced interrogation."
    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

I must say that in some parts it reminds me of Homeland. It's a version that has more of an "we-want-an-Oscar" approach to it, but apart from that (and don't pretend the torture part is new to you...stop watching fox news then) it is a cinema version of Homeland to me, with just another young CIA girl. I really wasn't impressed with it.