Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    Oh? You mean like this?

He can benchpress the Earth for 5 days, but needing Wonder Woman's help to lift a carrier that you need a microscope to find on the Earth from outerspace?

Yeah.. I know. LOL
    To be fair they're also holding of a wave too and I don't think he needed her held but it's not like he's gonna be like "no woman you sit back and watch me FLEX". Anything to make saying lives better is welcomed I would assume.

Then one could say that they were also trying to keep the ship stable and not have it crumble under the power of a wave and to people with god-like powers pushing on it.

Then you may ask why did he look like he was straining 1) for dramatic effect 2) I'd like to think that he just needs to push harder to move bigger things.

But in the end it's just a comic and people get too up in arms about the small things.......Like I said in the end all you really need to keep in mind is Superman is the strongest and Wonder Woman is very very very very very strong and you'll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    To be fair they're also holding of a wave too and I don't think he needed her held but it's not like he's gonna be like "no woman you sit back and watch me FLEX". Anything to make saying lives better is welcomed I would assume.

Then one could say that they were also trying to keep the ship stable and not have it crumble under the power of a wave and to people with god-like powers pushing on it.

Then you may ask why did he look like he was straining 1) for dramatic effect 2) I'd like to think that he just needs to push harder to move bigger things.

But in the end it's just a comic and people get too up in arms about the small things.......Like I said in the end all you really need to keep in mind is Superman is the strongest and Wonder Woman is very very very very very strong and you'll be good.
    I USED to get upset over inconsistencies of 1 character between comics. I'm better with this now. However, it's still fun to point them out here and there.

PS: I wonder how they come up with straining noises! Wonder Woman says NNGG, and Superman says DDT. I remember one comic where she said "UNIFFFF"

BANNED

Oh? You mean like this?

He can benchpress the Earth for 5 days, but needing Wonder Woman's help to lift a carrier that you need a microscope to find on the Earth from outerspace?

Yeah.. I know. LOL
    This is the one I'll agree with; the bench pressing Earth for 5 days, I'll take that as an after the fact inconsistency. Great post.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Do we know he is the strongest? Apparently this is a new continuity and anything goes.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Do we know he is the strongest? Apparently this is a new continuity and anything goes.
    Aquaman says he is and if anyone knows power . . .

Make that issue 13:

And I would assume that this should probably end all "Superman VS Wonder Woman" Rumble threads.
    I doubt that. It might end all "WW is as strong as Superman" threads.

Diana does run around with god-made, magical items at her disposal. Some of them are pretty darn powerful. There are plausible ways Diana could take down Clark if need be, even if physically overpowering him isn't one of them. But as with most of the new 52, we have yet to see what levels the lasso and bracers will be capable of and what other goodies Diana will be given. I also hope that they really play up her combat skill as well.

So while I'm not trying to imply that Diana is Clark's physical equal, she has plenty of tools at her disposal in addition to her base stats to make a fight with Clark not a laughing matter.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    That's true, but this is Superman. Just like no human will ever, ever be better than Batman, no metahuman will ever be stronger than Superman. WB just wouldnt allow it. Writers might make us wonder, like when Captain Marvel would arm wrestle Clark for charity and no winner would ever be determined, but at the end of the day we all know who gets knocked out in that throwdown.

As for that scene, maybe Throne of Atlantis happens before Clark starts working out and bench pressing planets. These stories do not actually happen simultaneously after all. Or maybe Johns wrote that story before he knew what Lobdell had planned, or maybe Johns just isnt paying attention and/or doesnt care what Lobdell does (honestly, that whole planet thing is way crazy).

My money is on the latter. Especially considering how he writes Diana as opposed to Azzarello.

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    Of course, havent we been around long enough to also know that this sort of thing is essentially pointless? Scales and rankings dont really mean a damn thing. If a story calls for Superman and Diana to have a close, knock down drag out fight, that is what will happen. If a story calls for Clark to take on the rest of the League at once and trounce them like children, that is what will happen. Its all in service to the story. The problems only arise when the writer isnt up to the challenge.
    See Batman single handedly taking out Diana, J'onn, Hal, Barry and Arthur in Batman Confidential...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Geez, Lobdell did us no favors with that planetary bench press.
    "Gargantua, stop! We're... friends!"
    - Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Prince View Post
    Geez, Lobdell did us no favors with that planetary bench press.
    I actually put the blame for this on Johns. I figure, its up to the solo series to establish the precedent for their characters, and Johns, as the writer of the team title, needs to get in line with what Lobdell, Azzarello, Manupaul and Snyder are doing, not ignoring it all so he can write his own professional fan fiction.

Granted, Lobdell amping up Clark's power level that much is going to cause problems with teamups, but again, there are ways around it if you just put some effort into the thought.

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    I actually put the blame for this on Johns. I figure, its up to the solo series to establish the precedent for their characters, and Johns, as the writer of the team title, needs to get in line with what Lobdell, Azzarello, Manupaul and Snyder are doing, not ignoring it all so he can write his own professional fan fiction.

Granted, Lobdell amping up Clark's power level that much is going to cause problems with teamups, but again, there are ways around it if you just put some effort into the thought.
    Sorry, but I put the blame on Lobdell's editor's shoulders. In a more grounded nu52, bench pressing the planet for five days is just silly and I hope it's quickly forgotten.

BANNED

It's not going anywhere. All Star Superman was the most successful, critically and commercially Superman in decades. They're going to be following that.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    See Batman single handedly taking out Diana, J'onn, Hal, Barry and Arthur in Batman Confidential...
    In terms of message board fan behavior I wonder if that elicited fist pumps and shouts of "YES!" and "Bats is so G!" or did they cry "PIS"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    It's not going anywhere. All Star Superman was the most successful, critically and commercially Superman in decades. They're going to be following that.
    Was that set in the DCU or was it in its own verse like the characters used to be before being acquired?

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Except that, outside of that one stupid panel, it isn't being used/reference anywhere else. Geoff Johns himself shows Superman straining with a battleship and a wall of water - peanuts compared to bench pressing the planet.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be the strongest guy around, but when you get to the planet moving level, it gets too ridiculous for my liking.