Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    The Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Soooooooooooooooooo the new universe version is finally comparable to Marvel's Namor?
    He is. The post you quoted says why. Problems?
    One doesn't need the validation of others to justify what they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfmir View Post
    He is. The post you quoted says why. Problems?
    What problems?

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    It is a soft reboot for some comics, but the Wonder Woman title is a hard reboot. Feats of strength are really only what has been seen so far in the nu52, as far as Wonder Woman is concerned.
    Thanx I haven't actually picked up the new WW book but its on my future pull list.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

The Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    What problems?
    Exactly, there isn't any.
    One doesn't need the validation of others to justify what they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfmir View Post
    Exactly, there isn't any.
    Had you interpreted/assumed that there were?

I tend to think of Superman and Wonder Woman as being more powerful, all things being equal (like that ever happens), but with Aquaman and others are still powerful enough to put the hurt on them.

I can't lift as much as some other people at the gym, but if we got in a fight I could get in some good punches and kicks and injure or slow them down at the very least.
    "Gargantua, stop! We're... friends!"
    - Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman

I think it is very difficult to know WW's official abilities/strength based on the vague stuff in her book.

Aquaman is powerful in this new 52 . They both helped to take out Darkseid's vision and seemed very much on par back when she first debuted but then Diana got the power of flight. So she has some advantages imo with her Diana martial training/ magical tools. Johns has said she is the best fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by kylesgirl View Post
    I think it is very difficult to know WW's official abilities/strength based on the vague stuff in her book.

Aquaman is powerful in this new 52 . They both helped to take out Darkseid's vision and seemed very much on par back when she first debuted but then Diana got the power of flight. So she has some advantages imo with her Diana martial training/ magical tools. Johns has said she is the best fighter.
    One of the problems with the little mini fight that she and Aquaman had was that while Aquaman was in the lasso's grip, he still manages to be able to fight Wondy.

So, what does the current lasso do? Nothing happens anymore when bound?

Sounds like they pretty much nerfed the lasso. Why even have it anymore if this is the case?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I just read Justice League #16 and it sure looks like they are the same strength.

Also I think everyone on the Justice League has put the smack down on Superman except Batman

Early on, Superman owned GL, Bats and Flash. No one in the League has owned him. Aquaman got a freebie on him, but didn't hurt him (as did Valko).

Now, Ocean Master has been built up into some badass by Johns and got the drop on Supes and WW, but hopefully Johns will redeem himself by the end of this arc.

I know Atlanteans are more powerful in the New 52, but none of them should be able to handle Superman, who seems near Pre-Crisis levels. None of them should be able to handle Wonder Woman either, for that matter.

Yeah, I know writers have to build up the threat from the villians, but make it credible. Ocean Master taking out Superman with some lightning? I don't care if he magically called it down, the lightning itself wasn't magic and shouldn't have done nothing more than tickled Supes.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Priime View Post
    Early on, Superman owned GL, Bats and Flash. No one in the League has owned him. Aquaman got a freebie on him, but didn't hurt him (as did Valko).
    After Wonder Woman kicked him, he said he's be feeling it for awhile. I wouldn't say she "owned him,"" but it did hurt.

Now, Ocean Master has been built up into some badass by Johns and got the drop on Supes and WW, but hopefully Johns will redeem himself by the end of this arc.

I know Atlanteans are more powerful in the New 52, but none of them should be able to handle Superman, who seems near Pre-Crisis levels. None of them should be able to handle Wonder Woman either, for that matter.

Yeah, I know writers have to build up the threat from the villians, but make it credible. Ocean Master taking out Superman with some lightning? I don't care if he magically called it down, the lightning itself wasn't magic and shouldn't have done nothing more than tickled Supes.
    Well, thats one of the big problems with the New52 so far. Different writers are handling characters in very different ways.

There's an entire thread dedicated to the differences between how Azzarello writes Diana as opposed to Johns. Johns has her flying, Azzarello doesnt. Strength levels are off between the two titles, and so on. Superman has been written at Bryne-style, Bronze Age power levels by Jurgens, and at planet pushing Silver Age levels by Lobdell.

So which is it? What should the expectations be for these characters and their abilities?

Im trying really hard not to consider these things too closely. I've come to realize one of the flaws with our modern, adult-based fandom is that we expect these things to conform to our expectations of logic. We take it all way too seriously. And comics, by their very nature, defy the laws of physics and universal reason and seriousness. They need to exist within their own internal logic yes, but Im not sure if they have to across titles. So long as Diana is written consistently in Justice League, should that be enough? Shared universe and all aside, entertainment is the main priority of these things, so does it *really* matter if some things arent exactly the same across the board?

I dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    I would say that the most powerful WW I've seen post-crisis is arguably Byrne, which doesn't surprise me since he enjoyed writing and drawing She-Hulk a few years before...
    I have a full fight drawn by you between WW and She-Hulk that you sent me in the 90s. She didn't seem to struggle too much (ww) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lostgauntlet View Post
    I have a full fight drawn by you between WW and She-Hulk that you sent me in the 90s. She didn't seem to struggle too much (ww) :-)
    HOLY KRAP!!!!!!!! Oh my God you DO have a good memory!!!! Yes, I did that!!!! Jesus H. Christ all mighty! LOL.

I couldn't finish it though, because Netcom shut down my site for copyright reasons, then I went to Yahoo but never pursued the story!

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    One of the problems with the little mini fight that she and Aquaman had was that while Aquaman was in the lasso's grip, he still manages to be able to fight Wondy.

So, what does the current lasso do? Nothing happens anymore when bound?

Sounds like they pretty much nerfed the lasso. Why even have it anymore if this is the case?
    When has the lasso, Post Crisis, ever been able to stop people from fighting Diana?
    Cheetah did it in her first appearance (and just about every appearance afterward) against Diana.
    She can use it as a means of containment, but there's not been a case where a single touch shuts an opponent down.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Anybody ignoring Lobdell's fan wankery going on in Superman gets a check in my book. I don't wanna see any of that bullshit "planet moving strength even though I've been away from sunlight for 5 days" schlock anywhere outside the Superman book.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde