View Poll Results: New Characters or Old Ones?

Voters
107. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes, I'm all for new characters. The more the better

48 44.86%
  • I'd prefer a healthy dose of both

48 44.86%
  • No, I want to see old favorites brought back from limbo

11 10.28%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

My answer is a big YES. I enjoy Hickman recreating characters and bringing them to the forefront of the Marvel U.
    Now can we get Da Vinci & Tesla, Avengers?!?

Just Sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Recenty, in the Deodato thread, I read that the Canadian heroes that show up in Avg#10 are new heroes, part of the new Omega Flight, led by the flag wearing female Validator. Why not use Alpha Flight, who fairly recently had a pretty good mini-series, before falling back into limbo?
    So, as the title says, do you like that Hickman is creating so many new characters, or new versions existing ones, or would you rather he revisited characters that have been stuck in comic limbo?
    Have to admit, I'm two minded about the whole thing.

Peace
    I don't mind new characters. It makes it easier in case another writer might use them plus they're basically continuity free. Maybe he likes the idea of the characters but not the original characters themselves? There's no rules though against creating new character.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Unless it's Machine Man. Dude has ties to the Avengers. Use him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    My answer is a big YES. I enjoy Hickman recreating characters and bringing them to the forefront of the Marvel U.
    Now can we get Da Vinci & Tesla, Avengers?!?
    Both Machine Man and Tesla are being used over in Red She-Hulk. Check it out, good stuff.

People complain that things get stale and comics need to evolve - new characters need to be created. In with the new new new.
    People complain that theres too many new characters - things should harken to the old days. Where's all of the classic characters?

Its lose lose with comic book folk.

Me? Bring on the new - I want new fresh takes, and the more new characters the better.
    Marvel: Hickman's Avengers books
    DC: Azzarello's WonderWoman
    Valiant: X-O Manowar
    Other: Hellboy, Fables, Spawn, Savage Dragon, Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    According to sales...they aren't...
    According to sales, X-Men #1 of the 90s is better than Sandman.

About your question, I think it cool to create new characters (even Smasher and Captain Universe existed) but he'd rather focus dose between the old and the new

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

I've liked all the new characters he's created so far. There's bound to be a healthy mix.

So far, the only new characters he's made are villains. The other three "new" characters are all just new versions of existing intellectual properties that Marvel already owned. And with "Adam" likely being a new version of Night Mask, and another Star Brand character coming along in a few issues, looks like he'll be doin the same for the New Universe characters.

If that's any indication, chances are that Omega Flight will be made up of new takes on existing characters, like this Validator character being similar to Vindicator/Guardian.

I don't mind new characters, but I do dislike how quickly and easily such characters are forgotten. There's gotta be thousands by now

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    But the new GotG is a great example of what Frank was talking about. Not a single member of that team was a new character. They all already existed and were just being brought to the fore again/reimagined.
    Even the original Thunderbolts

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Not a healthy dose, but I don't mind some new characters. I think creators should be limited to 1-2 per work every 5 years.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Game Show View Post
    I don't mind new characters, but I do dislike how quickly and easily such characters are forgotten. There's gotta be thousands by now
    I was a big fan of Dan Slott's Avengers Initiative book, and he introduced a ton of new characters that were actually really cool. Then the series ended, and they've barely been seen again.

So in that sense, I'd rather see then do something new with an existing character, if there's one that would fit.

You have to imagine also that creators might be reluctant to create new IP for Marvel.