Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I think the suit will most likely evolve into this
    Classic boots return
    Collar goes
    Some of the lines will probably be gone as well

Ideally, Superman finds a way to get this costume - his new black suit painted blue, and Superboy continues to wear a capeless version of the Jim Lee suit.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    What I really don't get is why so many people seem to be upset by the collar most of all.
    No idea, I personally like it and the rest of the New 52 suit.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." - Conan

I'm Right, You're Wrong King Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    No idea, I personally like it and the rest of the New 52 suit.
    I like the regal, full-dress uniform look of the high collar. But the old boatneck look has the feel of a casual work uniform. Ideally there's room for both: Superman wearing the regular boatneck for his day-to-day costume and wearing the high collar for formal occasions and diplomatic functions.

Maybe what's needed is different Supersuits for different occasions. With the three concurrent redesigns we now have (DC-Nu, Smallville Season 11, Man of Steel), Superman doesn't need to have only one costume all the time. There's plenty of room and reason for him to have costume variants he can alternate between.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It's a folk tale/ fairy tale look.......it doesn't need to make much sense. In story it makes complete sense and that's all that really matters.
    Really?

So then what were the red trunks if not a folk/fairy tale look...

I didn't say they were, did I? I said this captures the spirit of it with out being it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Truthor View Post
    Really?

So then what were the red trunks if not a folk/fairy tale look...
    1930s circus strongman outfit.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

And the cape an 1800's European military outfit.

Useless in both ages unless Superman gets cold now.

I'm Right, You're Wrong King Krypton's Avatar

Also a staple of sci-fi/fantasy illustration of the era (Flash Gordon immediately comes to mind). However, sci-fi costuming today favors sleek, streamlined one-piece outfits, so it follows that Superman's costume would be updated in the same vein.

Capes, however, have never gone out of style in sci-fi or fantasy, and likely never will. So there's little chance Superman will ever have to give his up.

BANNED

And the cape an 1800's European military outfit.

Useless in both ages unless Superman gets cold now.
    Capes > trunks.

Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by King Krypton View Post
    Also a staple of sci-fi/fantasy illustration of the era (Flash Gordon immediately comes to mind).
    When didFlash Gordon ever have a trunks-over-pants outfit? Seems he only wore trunks when he was otherwise naked.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    Nothing about it makes it recognizable apart from the \S/. Even the MOS costume is more recognizable.
    That's a bit of an exaggeration. The color scheme and cape alone are enough to make it recognizable.
    People who chime in on vs. threads with "I don't like Superman at all, but he'd win.", STOP HELPING! Superman doesn't need your damning him with faint praise, thank you.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    That's a bit of an exaggeration. The color scheme and cape alone are enough to make it recognizable.
    Sure but why the armor look. Still the stupidest idea this whole new suit is the fact that is a armor in nature. I know it might have gotten a little less slack if it had looked more like the Earth 2 Suit or even the Smallville suit. I could almost live without the trunk at this point but that damn collar and armor look with all those stupid lines REALLY needs to go NOW...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Capes > trunks.

Get over it.
    Nothing to get over, the cape is as stupid and useless as the trunks...

Why would Superman in a world basically devoid of Superhero's, stuff a cape (bath towel) behind his short sleeve tee shirt?

What would the rational purpose of THAT cape be?

It doesn't work.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Why would Superman in a world basically devoid of Superhero's, stuff a cape (bath towel) behind his short sleeve tee shirt?

What would the rational purpose of THAT cape be?

It doesn't work.
    Because it looks cool. That's why people like Darth Vader wears them despite not being a superhero. You will notice how said Vader does not wear a black trunks.
    Besides, it's easier to give the cape some origin explaining why he would wear it without sounding ridiculous.
    "here, Clark, it's the red trunks we found on your rocketship" doesn't exactly sound great.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

BANNED

Yeah somehow I think you haven't gotten over the trunks so it's "Yeah....yeah, well...capes suck too!"
    Last edited by Mr. Holmes; 01-28-2013 at 07:43 AM.