Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Default Lobdell Confirms Time Traveling Story On All Four Books

I made a thread while back on Superman and Action crossing over and Lobdell actually confirmed it a while ago...

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/01/03/...l-superman-16/

Oh balls. How bad is H'El on Earth?

We already discussed this interview ages ago...?

The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    We already discussed this interview ages ago...?
    Sorry. Where's the thread?

I've never read this interview before. Though now that I see Lobdell's views on Superman, it makes me a bit depressed. So Superman isn't a person who inspires us to greatness or shows us a better way, he's just a guy with powers who doesn't fit in? Sounds like Lobdell just doesn't get Superman. To answer your question OP, He'l on Earth is pretty bad. He'l is a one dimensional villain and the arc is just dragging through all the Super titles (except Action). There really is not much of a story. He'l certainly isn't the sympathetic villain Lobdell claims he is. He's just a superpowered nutjob.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    I've never read this interview before. Though now that I see Lobdell's views on Superman, it makes me a bit depressed. So Superman isn't a person who inspires us to greatness or shows us a better way, he's just a guy with powers who doesn't fit in? Sounds like Lobdell just doesn't get Superman.
    Where does he say that? He said that Superman doesn't see himself as an ideal, says emotionally he feels conflicted about Krypton at the moment and then "he's always going to be Superman".

"I know that a lot of people see Superman as this shining light on a hill, showing us how we can be the best of what we are and how humanity can rise to superhuman heights, but I always look at that as scant, because at the end of the day, Superman can do things that none of us can ever, ever do. And so this notion that Superman would see himself as an ideal, I don't see him that way. I see him as a person who lives on a planet not his own and trying to use his powers to do what's best for the rest of the people that live here."

This is the quote from the article that made me think Lobdell doesn't see Superman as inspiring, but rather as a guys who just uses his powers. One of the ideas Morrison explored is that everyone can be Superman and Superman shows us the way. Lobdell seems to want to focus on the outsider aspect and sees Superman as a guy who wouldn't try to inspire us or show us a better way. He'd just use his powers to do stuff. It's two different approaches to the characer inspiring vs outsider. Though I have no real interest in reading about a Superman who just does stuff because he has powers. I prefer the Morrison approach, and many others before him, who treat Superman as a guy trying to build a better future by his example (which he eventually does).

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

I don't think Lobdell's wrong. The whole 'he's here to inspire us to new heights' might be a good soundbite - and having been repeated through the years, became something of a truism - but I don't believe it really holds much water at the end of the day. A disabled person performing actions he should be physically uncapable of? Definitely inspiring. An out of shape slob that becomes a fitness model? Sure. Pretty much anyone transcending their limitations and rising above? Absolutely. A modern sun god who acts for the greater good because he, well, sees the good in all of us? Well, it's certainly heartening, but I wouldn't necessarily call it inspiring for the rest of humanity. All he's really telling us is to be self-restrained, do no harm and to use our powers responsibly for the good of all.

Now, does this mean Superman can't give the example? That he can't be the shining beacon of hope that motivates all? Of course not. But I see where Lobdell is coming from, and I really don't think he's wrong. He doesn't outright say Superman can't be inspiring, and he restates his altruism (an inspiring trait on its own), so I can't see where the problem is.

I thought time-travel (other than one way) was a big no-no for the New 52?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

H'El on Earth is very entertaining. Thank you. At least its got a coherent narrative voice. Is it a top shelf Superman story? No. Is it better than Grounded? Yes, so far.

As far as time travel goes, ummm, they probably need to do this to fix some upcoming continuity gaffs.
    If the shoe fits: "a crankly old man standing just on the edge of a crowd gathered for a concert and stamping his feet yelling at the crowd to stop having fun, that they don't know what fun is."

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolfan View Post
    Is it better than Grounded? Yes,.
    Backhanded Compliments 'R' Us

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Backhanded Compliments 'R' Us
    LOL. Yes I realize that I am not saying much. But, well, it is....and I say that about the last 17 issues of Action too.
    If the shoe fits: "a crankly old man standing just on the edge of a crowd gathered for a concert and stamping his feet yelling at the crowd to stop having fun, that they don't know what fun is."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Self-DCeit View Post
    I don't think Lobdell's wrong. The whole 'he's here to inspire us to new heights' might be a good soundbite - and having been repeated through the years, became something of a truism - but I don't believe it really holds much water at the end of the day. A disabled person performing actions he should be physically uncapable of? Definitely inspiring. An out of shape slob that becomes a fitness model? Sure. Pretty much anyone transcending their limitations and rising above? Absolutely. A modern sun god who acts for the greater good because he, well, sees the good in all of us? Well, it's certainly heartening, but I wouldn't necessarily call it inspiring for the rest of humanity. All he's really telling us is to be self-restrained, do no harm and to use our powers responsibly for the good of all.

Now, does this mean Superman can't give the example? That he can't be the shining beacon of hope that motivates all? Of course not. But I see where Lobdell is coming from, and I really don't think he's wrong. He doesn't outright say Superman can't be inspiring, and he restates his altruism (an inspiring trait on its own), so I can't see where the problem is.
    It's become a truism because it's not done well at all. Where Morrison's Superman in All Star is inspiring through example, the DCU Superman before Flashpoint was largely preachy, pretentious, and bland.

What's inspiring about Superman is that he's selfless. For once, power doesn't corrupt. While humanity has evolved socially through technology, we're still really animalistic and self-centered people. Superman kind of represents the potential next step for humanity, not physically necessarily, but spiritually and ethically. You can see that kind of thing in things like Buddhist philosophy and some psychology studies, where they talk about shedding the ego to take this kind of step. That's why I love the theory that even someone Lex Luthor could be redeemed (and becomes Leo Quintum).

Having said that, I don't really mind what Lobdell is doing. Nothing in his Superman run contradicts the above.

BANNED

I reread the Lobdell issues of Superman and preferred them a second time round but I still think H'El is pretty poor. Song cool ideas but not enough to justify length and page count with H'El being too bland a villain too carry it all. This is a cool idea and I'm quite interested but I hate how Superboy is relevant to this line. The character and writer is really dragging the whole direction. If they want to do this it should be 3 months tops if it's a complete story divided into the four books. I can handle it being longer if it's not a full story divided up into the books because HoE is so decompressed.

Won't Diggle's Action being delayed a month affect the timing of this crossover (it seems pretty likely that Morrison is writing 18)?

Didn't we already know this? And yeah, I do wonder how exactly this will work with how delay's and what not, DC needs to give time for these books to breath a bit for having them all crossover again.
    DC/Marvel reader. Mostly Superman,Batman,X-Men,Avengers fan...guess I am a fan of most comics.

Im down with it. I am one of the one enjoying H'el on Earth instead of nitpicking. Go read the Electric Superman era crap then tell me this is bad.