Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    Just Sayin'

Threads like this just goes to show you, people will complain about anything. Oh no, I feel a "strawman" coming!
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I don't think Pete would install sensors around town because that is a HUGE invasion of peoples' personal privacy.
    Really?
    Peter regularly broke into people's homes and places of work.
    Peter regularly stuck spider-tracers onto people without due process or warrants. And his later versions were rigged for sound as well.
    Peter regularly broke all kinds of laws and disregarded people's personal privacy when it served him and his vigilante agenda.
    (And let's not even bring up harassment, assault, unlawful searches, and theft.)
    Just playing the devil's advocate here.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

I think it's more that Pete wouldn't install sensors because he tends to be more reactive than proactive.

On some level, he'd like to believe that crimefighting is a side job, not his life's work. Whether he's being honest with himself is open to interpretation.

And Dan, when you talk about his 'vigilante agenda' you make Pete sound like a real bastard! No wonder you killed him.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    I think he's saying that Peter COULD HAVE saved a lot more and done his job better if he was doing stuff like SpOck is doing them.
    I say is way to early to say Spock is doing a better job that Peter was doing.
    Plus Doctor Octopus just by being a major villain through years was prone to make better tools in his new career,Peter started as a teenager being Spider-Man.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Slott View Post
    Really?
    Peter regularly broke into people's homes and places of work.
    Peter regularly stuck spider-tracers onto people without due process or warrants. And his later versions were rigged for sound as well.
    Peter regularly broke all kinds of laws and disregarded people's personal privacy when it served him and his vigilante agenda.
    (And let's not even bring up harassment, assault, unlawful searches, and theft.)
    Just playing the devil's advocate here.
    Not quite the same thing though; it's one thing to wiretap someone of reasonable suspicion, something else entirely to wiretap an entire population. That was basically the whole dilemma at the end of "The Dark Knight," Lucius Fox thought Bruce Wayne went too far when he was evesdropping on every Gotham citizen through their cellphones. It's a level I don't really see Pete approaching, nor most Marvel heroes. (Perhaps crazy "Civil War" era Tony Stark, or the Punisher if he was wealthy enough to afford it.)

Then again, Spidey did make a deal with a devil so perhaps it's totally in character nowadays!

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    If Slott is a thief, them Community is straight-up Ocean's Eleven.
    Wha? What..does that even mean? Last I checked Community was an original trend setting show hence Slott stealing one of the funniest lines that has been uttered. Its no Easter-egg or even a nod, its out-right thievery. Just like when CM Punk comes out to wrestle and announces that its "Clobberin' Time". Don't steal other Characters catch phrases man its just bad form.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningMoon View Post
    I know right? How dare a guy want to buy a comic but not with a cover that makes him feel uncomfortable. He should buy a cover of Iron Man eating babies and LIKE IT.
    I would buy a cover of Iron Man eating babies. I'd probably have to get that one signed by Stan and then frame it.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    So the thousands of people that Peter saved do not count anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    I think he's saying that Peter COULD HAVE saved a lot more and done his job better if he was doing stuff like SpOck is doing them.
    Actually I was just having some fun, Pete saved loads of people and I'm a long time Spidey fan from way back after growing up with Stan & Steve reprints.

I'm really enjoying the new Spidey though, I'm sure it'll be quite a journey and if he does eventually sacrifice his life in one last heroic gesture in which he truly becomes Spider-Man, then I'm ok if there's another replacement. I loved Pete and all his wacky adventures, but I'm happy to have a new Spidey for a while. And I do think Pete really wasn't living up to his potential. He's been better whilst in Horizon but SpOck really is showing him up already.

Ock did end up causing Captain Stacy's death though, plus a lot of others, so I'm hoping we start to see it affecting him, or is one tortured Spider guy enough? Could be worth bringing Jill Stacy back to spark off some remorse, or just to finally do something interesting with her. Black Cat could be a fun encounter too after nearly killing her.
    Last edited by Zombies8MyDingo; 01-26-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    On some level, he'd like to believe that crimefighting is a side job, not his life's work. Whether he's being honest with himself is open to interpretation.
    With great power comes great need to invade people's privacy?
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRicH View Post
    Wha? What..does that even mean? Last I checked Community was an original trend setting show hence Slott stealing one of the funniest lines that has been uttered. Its no Easter-egg or even a nod, its out-right thievery. Just like when CM Punk comes out to wrestle and announces that its "Clobberin' Time". Don't steal other Characters catch phrases man its just bad form.
    Well, first, it's not a catch-phrase. It's not a line Jeff is known for, since he uttered it all of once.

Inspector Spacetime is basically Doctor Who. If a viewer isn't familiar with Doctor Who, then Inspector Spacetime can look like an original creation of Dan Harmon. But it's not. But no one is assuming that Dan ripped off Doctor Who and thought no one would notice.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Not quite the same thing though; it's one thing to wiretap someone of reasonable suspicion, something else entirely to wiretap an entire population. That was basically the whole dilemma at the end of "The Dark Knight," Lucius Fox thought Bruce Wayne went too far when he was evesdropping on every Gotham citizen through their cellphones. It's a level I don't really see Pete approaching, nor most Marvel heroes. (Perhaps crazy "Civil War" era Tony Stark, or the Punisher if he was wealthy enough to afford it.)

Then again, Spidey did make a deal with a devil so perhaps it's totally in character nowadays!
    Yeah, Peter still doesn't get to do that. Otto is taking it to a larger degree, but it's not like Peter was following the letter of the law before.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Um what? Can someone make me a strong case about how they can tell already that Spock is better than Peter at the job?

Also, so what if Peter let some people die? He saved countless more than that and quite frankly, I doubt Spock's methods have anything to do with people dying in situations outside of Pete's control.

I can't make a strong case as it's only been three issues and a preview, I just like change and may well be possessed by Steve Wacker.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    With great power comes great need to invade people's privacy?
    I was more talking about that Peter would like to live a normal life, but he's too responsible to give up being Spider-Man.

As far as invading privacy, I can't think of any examples off the top of my head. But I don't really remember ever reading a Spidey comic and thinking he was pushing things too far, with the exception of the "I am the Spider" phase.

It's not like he's ever used a Spider-tracer to stalk MJ.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

What gives Peter the right to reasonably suspect anyone of anything?
    "Dan Slott was also unbelievably helpful during this period as he helped me formulate some of the ideas that eventually be used in "OMIT." Dan is a champ and an idea machine" - Joey Q