Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 128
  1. #106
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,907

    Default

    I've had a look back through the thread, and he's kinda got a point, guys.

    Sorry mate.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

  2. #107
    Duck Dude Donald M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA.
    Posts
    22,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    And now would be a great time for everyone to actually go back, read through the thread, and see who actually got extremely condescending and dismissive in the first place.
    You. It was you.

  3. #108
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I've had a look back through the thread, and he's kinda got a point, guys.

    Sorry mate.
    You haven't been rude, and I do appreciate that.

    My apologies if I lumped you in with everyone else while I was lashing out.

  4. #109
    Old and broken Pat Thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    And now would be a great time for everyone to actually go back, read through the thread, and see who actually got extremely condescending and dismissive in the first place.

    I realize not everyone gets my sense of humor, but look at what actually went on here. A group of regulars decided to make a lot of assumptions and bash the new guy without really understanding what he was saying in the first place. Conclusions were jumped to, opinions were dismissed, and in the end the people that got me riled up in the first place are actually effing doing exactly what I suggested.
    Don't sweat it man. Just say what's on your mind. There will always be someone to push your buttons no matter what you say, so don't let it bother you.

  5. #110
    Too late Nick Soapdish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hurricane-y FL
    Posts
    14,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    And now would be a great time for everyone to actually go back, read through the thread, and see who actually got extremely condescending and dismissive in the first place.

    I realize not everyone gets my sense of humor, but look at what actually went on here. A group of regulars decided to make a lot of assumptions and bash the new guy without really understanding what he was saying in the first place. Conclusions were jumped to, opinions were dismissed, and in the end the people that got me riled up in the first place are actually effing doing exactly what I suggested.
    But that's also what they initially suggested - they said that it was rude, but no skin off their backs while saying that what worked for Barnes & Noble might not work for a comics shop. You were the first one to interpret that as kicking people out of stores and then people got huffy with you.
    Last edited by Nick Soapdish; 01-25-2013 at 08:48 PM.

  6. #111
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Soapdish View Post
    But that's also what they initially suggested - they said that it was rude, but no skin off their backs while saying that what worked for Barnes & Noble might not work for a comics shop. You were the first one to interpret that as kicking people out of stores and then people got huffy with you.
    Yeah, I probably used some hyperbole and misrepresented what some others were saying. Kicking people out of stores wasn't really the topic of conversation. And i realize I have an abrasive personality at times.

    But my initial responses were all concerning the OP's post, and were based on the scenario of someone getting fed up with a freeloading customer to the point that they might say something rude. Looking back i can see where everyone got mixed messages, but I never tried to advocate someone letting their customers run all over them.

    I'm glad it's all getting clarified now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Don't sweat it man. Just say what's on your mind. There will always be someone to push your buttons no matter what you say, so don't let it bother you.
    Much appreciated, sir!

  7. #112
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    But my initial responses were all concerning the OP's post, and were based on the scenario of someone getting fed up with a freeloading customer to the point that they might say something rude. Looking back i can see where everyone got mixed messages, but I never tried to advocate someone letting their customers run all over them.
    The OP wasn't even a shop owner, just a frustrated customer.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

  8. #113
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    The OP wasn't even a shop owner, just a frustrated customer.
    Ha! I actually missed that. I didn't even see the part where he mentioned trying to shop on his lunch break.

    In that case, he should totally tell that guy this ain't no library. He should also tell him to move right the hell out of the way.

  9. #114
    New Member taem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
    I only saw one shop over the years that bags and bored all their comics, they often left one copy free, I understand that from a "keeping them in good condition standpoint) I have often seen stacks that looked like someone bent them over and too many are damaged, nothing I would buy at full price.
    This is what my LCS does. I think the employees have time to do it, since they spend business hours talking to dudes about the latest Marvel movies and such. Not ragging on them, the guys who work there know a lot and are very helpful, it's good that they can chat.

    I do remember contemplating getting back into comics when Borders was still open, but every issue on the racks was mangled. I'm not a guy who treats issues like gold but I didn't like the idea of buying greasy wrinkled comics either. So I like the bag n board approach.

    You have to pay 10 cents extra for the bag n board tho, or they take the issues out and put it in a paper bag for you. But now in Cali, in my hometown, you have to pay 10 cents for a bag at a store, soon to go to 25 cents, so it's better just to keep the bag n board.

  10. #115
    Duck Dude Donald M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA.
    Posts
    22,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Ha! I actually missed that. I didn't even see the part where he mentioned trying to shop on his lunch break.

    In that case, he should totally tell that guy this ain't no library. He should also tell him to move right the hell out of the way.
    But only if they don't respond to a polite request, of course. While I've no problem being rude to rude people, I'll usually give appealing to their better nature a shot. Sometimes it even works!

  11. #116
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    But only if they don't respond to a polite request, of course. While I've no problem being rude to rude people, I'll usually give appealing to their better nature a shot. Sometimes it even works!
    Well, an "Excuse me" is always called for. But if they don't move, opting instead to just give you the stink eye; then all bets are off and it's time to... break out the fake cough, or tattle on the guy to the shop owner.

  12. #117
    Duck Dude Donald M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA.
    Posts
    22,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Well, an "Excuse me" is always called for. But if they don't move, opting instead to just give you the stink eye; then all bets are off and it's time to... break out the fake cough, or tattle on the guy to the shop owner.
    And if none of that works, there's always the old podiatric suppository.

  13. #118
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    And if none of that works, there's always the old podiatric suppository.
    Or, if you have none readily available, a little contact lens solution quietly dripped into their coffee (see, bringing it all back full circle) will send them running for the toilet.

    At least that's what I've heard...

    And that's the perfect time for the shop owner to let the guy know that bathrooms are only for paying customers.
    Last edited by tylenoljones; 01-25-2013 at 09:37 PM.

  14. #119
    Duck Dude Donald M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA.
    Posts
    22,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Or, if you have none readily available, a little contact lens solution quietly dripped into their coffee (see, bringing it all back full circle) will send them running for the toilet.

    At least that's what I've heard...

    And that's the perfect time for the shop owner to let the guy know that bathrooms are only for paying customers.
    As it happens I have two available.

    Podiatric suppository = My foot up your ass.

  15. #120
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    As it happens I have two available.

    Podiatric suppository = My foot up your ass.
    I'm just learning all kinds of useful information today.

    That's a little too forward for me though. I'd maybe take the guy out for dinner first. I've always seen the foot up the ass as kind of a third date activity.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •