Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

I've had a look back through the thread, and he's kinda got a point, guys.

Sorry mate.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    And now would be a great time for everyone to actually go back, read through the thread, and see who actually got extremely condescending and dismissive in the first place.
    You. It was you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I've had a look back through the thread, and he's kinda got a point, guys.

Sorry mate.
    You haven't been rude, and I do appreciate that.

My apologies if I lumped you in with everyone else while I was lashing out.

And now would be a great time for everyone to actually go back, read through the thread, and see who actually got extremely condescending and dismissive in the first place.

I realize not everyone gets my sense of humor, but look at what actually went on here. A group of regulars decided to make a lot of assumptions and bash the new guy without really understanding what he was saying in the first place. Conclusions were jumped to, opinions were dismissed, and in the end the people that got me riled up in the first place are actually effing doing exactly what I suggested.
    Don't sweat it man. Just say what's on your mind. There will always be someone to push your buttons no matter what you say, so don't let it bother you.

I realize not everyone gets my sense of humor, but look at what actually went on here. A group of regulars decided to make a lot of assumptions and bash the new guy without really understanding what he was saying in the first place. Conclusions were jumped to, opinions were dismissed, and in the end the people that got me riled up in the first place are actually effing doing exactly what I suggested.
    But that's also what they initially suggested - they said that it was rude, but no skin off their backs while saying that what worked for Barnes & Noble might not work for a comics shop. You were the first one to interpret that as kicking people out of stores and then people got huffy with you.
    Last edited by Nick Soapdish; 01-25-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Soapdish View Post
    But that's also what they initially suggested - they said that it was rude, but no skin off their backs while saying that what worked for Barnes & Noble might not work for a comics shop. You were the first one to interpret that as kicking people out of stores and then people got huffy with you.
    Yeah, I probably used some hyperbole and misrepresented what some others were saying. Kicking people out of stores wasn't really the topic of conversation. And i realize I have an abrasive personality at times.

But my initial responses were all concerning the OP's post, and were based on the scenario of someone getting fed up with a freeloading customer to the point that they might say something rude. Looking back i can see where everyone got mixed messages, but I never tried to advocate someone letting their customers run all over them.

I'm glad it's all getting clarified now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Don't sweat it man. Just say what's on your mind. There will always be someone to push your buttons no matter what you say, so don't let it bother you.
    Much appreciated, sir!

But my initial responses were all concerning the OP's post, and were based on the scenario of someone getting fed up with a freeloading customer to the point that they might say something rude. Looking back i can see where everyone got mixed messages, but I never tried to advocate someone letting their customers run all over them.
    The OP wasn't even a shop owner, just a frustrated customer.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    The OP wasn't even a shop owner, just a frustrated customer.
    Ha! I actually missed that. I didn't even see the part where he mentioned trying to shop on his lunch break.

In that case, he should totally tell that guy this ain't no library. He should also tell him to move right the hell out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
    I only saw one shop over the years that bags and bored all their comics, they often left one copy free, I understand that from a "keeping them in good condition standpoint) I have often seen stacks that looked like someone bent them over and too many are damaged, nothing I would buy at full price.
    This is what my LCS does. I think the employees have time to do it, since they spend business hours talking to dudes about the latest Marvel movies and such. Not ragging on them, the guys who work there know a lot and are very helpful, it's good that they can chat.

I do remember contemplating getting back into comics when Borders was still open, but every issue on the racks was mangled. I'm not a guy who treats issues like gold but I didn't like the idea of buying greasy wrinkled comics either. So I like the bag n board approach.

You have to pay 10 cents extra for the bag n board tho, or they take the issues out and put it in a paper bag for you. But now in Cali, in my hometown, you have to pay 10 cents for a bag at a store, soon to go to 25 cents, so it's better just to keep the bag n board.

Ha! I actually missed that. I didn't even see the part where he mentioned trying to shop on his lunch break.

In that case, he should totally tell that guy this ain't no library. He should also tell him to move right the hell out of the way.
    But only if they don't respond to a polite request, of course. While I've no problem being rude to rude people, I'll usually give appealing to their better nature a shot. Sometimes it even works!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    But only if they don't respond to a polite request, of course. While I've no problem being rude to rude people, I'll usually give appealing to their better nature a shot. Sometimes it even works!
    Well, an "Excuse me" is always called for. But if they don't move, opting instead to just give you the stink eye; then all bets are off and it's time to... break out the fake cough, or tattle on the guy to the shop owner.

Well, an "Excuse me" is always called for. But if they don't move, opting instead to just give you the stink eye; then all bets are off and it's time to... break out the fake cough, or tattle on the guy to the shop owner.
    And if none of that works, there's always the old podiatric suppository.

And if none of that works, there's always the old podiatric suppository.
    Or, if you have none readily available, a little contact lens solution quietly dripped into their coffee (see, bringing it all back full circle) will send them running for the toilet.

At least that's what I've heard...

And that's the perfect time for the shop owner to let the guy know that bathrooms are only for paying customers.
    Last edited by tylenoljones; 01-25-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Or, if you have none readily available, a little contact lens solution quietly dripped into their coffee (see, bringing it all back full circle) will send them running for the toilet.

At least that's what I've heard...

And that's the perfect time for the shop owner to let the guy know that bathrooms are only for paying customers.
    As it happens I have two available.

Podiatric suppository = My foot up your ass.

As it happens I have two available.

Podiatric suppository = My foot up your ass.
    I'm just learning all kinds of useful information today.

That's a little too forward for me though. I'd maybe take the guy out for dinner first. I've always seen the foot up the ass as kind of a third date activity.