Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Like others said, it started out good and became repetitive.

I just don't like zombies

Quote Originally Posted by nightfolk View Post
    Yeah, this certainly wouldn't be the book for you then.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Lowe/Piece/Understatement Artycool8or's Avatar

It's a boring romp of a group aimlessly wandering the ravaged lands, without resolution in sight.
    Kind of like the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. One 4 hours movie after another of characters walking around.
    At least, thanks to J. R. R. Tolkien's book, in LOTR we knew there is going to be a payoff at the end.
    TWD may or may not have one.

Because it became painfully obvious that, given that Kirkman has proudly stated that the series has NO planned ending, TWD follows a very obvious cyclical structure:

Stage 1: Group is on the road. Life is hard. They suffer some really traumatic events.
    Stage 2: Group finds sanctuary, but after said traumatic events, is there any way they can adjust to living in peace?
    Stage 3: CALAMITY! Sanctuary destroyed! Return to Stage 1.

Rinse and repeat.

This also makes reading the book in single issues a real chore. Particularly Stage 2, which becomes especially tedious if you're following monthly.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

The zombies aren't that much of a threat anymore unless overwhelmed.I remember reading the first few issues,I was like,"aww jeez,when are they gonna shut up and fight some zombies."Now,I don't even care for the zombies anyomore.There not much of a threat,there just there to annoy Rick's group or slow them down.

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightfolk View Post
    This is more of a soap opera with zombies.This probably appeals more to people who don't like zombies than those who do.

BANNED

I think it's great and don't feel any need to see it end. I'm interested in seeing civilization truly return to the post-apocalypse world. I want to see what happened everywhere else. Go big!

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    I liked it for a good while, but then got tired of it around issue 70 or so when it seemed like the repeating cycle of the comic was to find someplace that felt safe, something goes wrong, zombies attack and people die, find someplace that feels safe, etc...
    I agree. Also, I feel like the comic has reached a point where the conversations don't hold my attention anymore. I'm just flipping along to get to the inevitable end, to see what's in store on the last page. I hope something happens soon to get me hooked again. I really miss the sense of urgency that existed before issue 100. I feel like the only way to keep readers interested now is to see how screwed up the situations can get. Everything just seems so unnecessary.

Mechanically Insane shadow panther's Avatar

I LOVE The Walking Dead....Charlie Adlard drew me as a savior on page 11 of issue 103!!!

I dont want to seem pretentious or anything but...I dislike TWD because of what it has kind've done culturally. I loved zombies. When TWD initially came out I was ecstatic. However now, it's on a totally different level. Zombies are everywhere now and TWD and it's show are the leading the pack. My comic book store now has a full zombie section filled TWD and all it's imitators. With all the movies, novels, and everything in between I'm now exhausted from zombies. It also doesn't help that every time I meet someone and mention comics they reply "I love comics...have you ever read The Walking Dead?". My reply is usually a casual "yes", and then I go on to recommend a plethora of good or greater comics they may like but it always falls on deaf ears - it's TWD or bust for them.

This is not to say that everything TWD has done is bad in my eyes. It has opened the doors for alot of indie books and publishers begin to see how lucrative an independent book can be. It has also shown television producers that there is a large untapped audience of geeks who want to see some high concept quality television.
    "Ready When You Are" - Batman

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

The thing is, the minute the TWD show balloon bursts, which it will one of these days, many of the new TWD readers Kirkman has pulled in will be gone. There isn't a huge untapped audience of geeks out there, there's just a lot of people who are into dark and violent stories, like Dexter, Breaking Bad, and TWD. In other words, the TWD show has pullled in a lot of weekend warrior comic book readers, not unlike when there was all that hype surrounding Burton's Batman film in 89. But like that Batman film, once it was over and came out on VHS, most of those weekend warrior fans were gone. TWD has an advantage however, it isn't just a one shot 90 minute film, its an ongoing television series that was just renewed for its 4th season. So as long as the show stays popular, those weekend warriors will be around.

Not that I'm complaining, they play into why back issue prices went up as high as they did. :)

It's very much a western without the racist implications: people want to settle in a land surrounded by savages.

I also am annoyed by the Walking Dead being so pupular while Kirkman's better book is so relatively unpopular. Not a good reason to not like a comic, but it's more a secondary reason to those already stated. I get tired of people on podcasts I listen to going on and on about how amazing TWD is and say nothing about Invincible.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

I just want to state that I'm glad there's no resolution in sight. It's kinda one of the reasons I like comic books so much. Most times stories fall into the trap of... being stories with beginnings middles and ends these are artificial literary constructs. There are no real beginnings, middles and / or ends in real life, only a series of interconnected prologues, epilogues and one giant present moment shared by everyone but perceived differently by individuals. The only way to really break the mold of the begining-middle-end lie is prolonged serialization which gives us insights into life and ourselves that transcends a simple story arc.... At least that's how I feel.
    ASM, ELEKTRA, SILVERSURFER, DAREDEVIL, MOONKNIGHT, SHEHULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, MM, INVINCIBLE, INVINCIBLEU, MANHATTAN PR, E OF W, BLACKSCIENCE, BEDLAM, VELVET, TWD, SAGA, Mignolaverse, MASSIVE, MIND MGMT