Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

The art in the walking dead is so boring.The characters sometimes looks the same.Dale looks like a fatter version of Rick Grimes.Same faces get used again.None of the places drawn were memorable.I like the black and white I guess.

Overall I love the book. My only complaint would be the dialogue is a bit too expository. I suppose that's necessary at times, but I don't like it when a character takes a full page to explain what they're about to do. I don't mind some characters (especially on the show) doing stupid or illogical things. If people didn't do stupid or illogical things every single day, news programs would only be 5 minutes long. Naturally we want to believe that only "OTHER" people do stupid things, well this entire cast of characters consists of "OTHER" people all lumped together. So that doesn't bother me too much.
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

Vatican Assassin Warlock aut0matic's Avatar

i liked it until a few months ago. story got repetitive with no overall goals or endgame in sight. "survive" is literally the only objective. i thought it was exciting for a while when they had a purpose (get to washington DC) which turned out to be a massive troll-job.

i'll agree with others that it repeats the formula of 1)find safe place 2) get attacked, people die 3)leave safe place. this wouldn't be so bad if they didn't either kill off every character i ever cared about or drastically turn them into unsympathetic, crazy douchebags. i've been done with the book shortly after hardcover 7, and i've been semi-keeping up with what's happening through message board discussions to make sure i'm not missing out on anything great (i'm not.)

book started out great, but it's been drawn out long past it's prime. story has no point and has been going no where for a while, and without any fan favorites to keep me interested, i have no reason to hang on anymore.

I don't like it because it follows the typical zombie apocalypse storyline, which is so prevalent in comics. So predictable. Super hero comics on the other hand aren't formulaic. <Sarcasm>

I just got bored of it. I actually really enjoyed the book through a portion of the Alexandria Safe-Zone. When the Herd broke in and killed a bunch of people, that's kind of when I gave up on the series which was like issue 85 or around there. And after the introduction of Hilltop, which to me felt like a mix of Woodbury and Alexandria and Nagan who seemed like a lame version of the Governor, it just felt like there was no new ground to hit anymore.

While it never really treaded new ground in terms of the genre, I feel like it was a decent amalgamation and synthesis of all the memorable zombie tropes, but it seems like it hit all of them at this point and it's just treading water before it goes onto the next area where they feel like their safe until a big bad comes around. How many more times can they do that, while killing long standing characters before the hardcore fans just reject it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    The art in the walking dead is so boring.The characters sometimes looks the same.Dale looks like a fatter version of Rick Grimes.Same faces get used again.None of the places drawn were memorable.I like the black and white I guess.

You do realize your avatar is from The Walking Dead, right?
    Calling All Writers!
    Join the fledgling Ultimate DC Unified Fanfiction Community
    Ultimate DC Universe
    Tons of Titles still available!

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

AZ is totally right I mean Walking Dead, its a post apocalyptic comic that follows a post apocalyptic story which is just weird. Then it's like an ongoing comic with no end in sight and they tend to get into the same situations over and over. It isn't like Batman, X-Men, Spidey, and almost every other ongoing title ever rinses and repeats, they all come up with brand new ideas each and every month. I mean just recently, Batman fought the Joker and that has never happened.

I think TWD is actually kind of ballsy for an Image book. I mean so far he's kind of in his own way paid homage to 70's exploitation films with the whole Michonne/Governor thing, and then he's really gone the shock horror route quite a bit which a lot of horror comics just don't seem to do. I remember when Marvel was trying to do horror in the 90's and did the whole Rise of the Midnight Sons crossover, talk about pussy horror. The PG-13 remake of the Fog had a bigger pair. If anything, I'd like to see TWD get a lil more graphic as it moves forward. I doubt it'll happen right now but maybe in the future.

But to be fair, I'm a horror nut and only read horror comics, I find sci fi, fantasy, and superhero stuff to be a wee bit lame. So of course comics like 30 Days, TWD, and Hack/Slash are comics I tend to praise a lot. Which reminds me, I still need to check out Revival. I figured I'd wait till Seeley ends H/S in a few months then move on to his newer book.
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 01-25-2013 at 12:56 AM.

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FoxMulder2012 View Post

You do realize your avatar is from The Walking Dead, right?
    yea my avatar is art from the first few issues when people were well drawn and there was more detail.

I really enjoy the fact that there's "no end in sight" to me that was always kinda the point. Zombie movies generally end with zombies still ravaging the country side, even though a story might end there's generally not a sense of true resolution. Not that I agree entirely with the repetition sentiment but things tend to kinda repeat in real life (Wake up, go to work, pay bills ,eat food. Loose your job? Find a new job. Feeling lonely go to the bar. Start a relationship? Wake up every day next to the same person and if not, break up and go back to the bar scene...) the survival needs are constant and pretty much the same so of course they will repeat. To me TWD was never really about the zombies as it was the people, it's a post-zombie-apocalypse soap opera and the horror in this case isn't the zombies per se, they're just an environmental factor... it's how far has humanity fallen and / or rises in the face of this ongoing adversarial condition.
    ASM, ELEKTRA, SILVERSURFER, DAREDEVIL, MOONKNIGHT, SHEHULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, MM, INVINCIBLE, INVINCIBLEU, MANHATTAN PR, E OF W, BLACKSCIENCE, BEDLAM, VELVET, TWD, SAGA, Mignolaverse, MASSIVE, MIND MGMT

yea my avatar is art from the first few issues when people were well drawn and there was more detail.
    I was gonna say, it looks like the Tony Moore art right? Not saying the current Walking Dead artist isn't good, but Tony Moore is just much better.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    I really enjoy the fact that there's "no end in sight" to me that was always kinda the point. Zombie movies generally end with zombies still ravaging the country side, even though a story might end there's generally not a sense of true resolution. Not that I agree entirely with the repetition sentiment but things tend to kinda repeat in real life (Wake up, go to work, pay bills ,eat food. Loose your job? Find a new job. Feeling lonely go to the bar. Start a relationship? Wake up every day next to the same person and if not, break up and go back to the bar scene...) the survival needs are constant and pretty much the same so of course they will repeat. To me TWD was never really about the zombies as it was the people, it's a post-zombie-apocalypse soap opera and the horror in this case isn't the zombies per se, they're just an environmental factor... it's how far has humanity fallen and / or rises in the face of this ongoing adversarial condition.
    Yeah, but there's a huge difference between life and a book. There are different benefits out of living life and reading a comic book and just because life is repetitive, doesn't mean storytelling is good if it reflects that. And either way, I refuse to believe that the tonal repetition in The Walking Dead is a form of artistic expression like it's used in other works. I truly think that Kirkman is just running out of truly new elements to include in the series.
    Calling All Writers!
    Join the fledgling Ultimate DC Unified Fanfiction Community
    Ultimate DC Universe
    Tons of Titles still available!

I would actually say that Moore drew a lot of people looking the same much more than Adlard. I did like Moore though, but Adlard fits the tone better in my opinion. Moore was a little too "cartoony".
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

It's an a repeating cycle that never seems to end to the point where it is horribly dull and predictable and I don't find myself getting attached to anybody because the fickle writer could just easily kill someone whenever he feels like it. With no planned end in sight, there's no reason for me to care about the series that burnt itself out a long time ago.

Flipside though, the game was great, but I hope it doesn't fall into the same pattern as the comic has entered. They say a second season is coming for the game and honestly, I hope that's all.

Master of Time and Space Xarcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    I liked it for a good while, but then got tired of it around issue 70 or so when it seemed like the repeating cycle of the comic was to find someplace that felt safe, something goes wrong, zombies attack and people die, find someplace that feels safe, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    It's an a repeating cycle that never seems to end to the point where it is horribly dull and predictable and I don't find myself getting attached to anybody because the fickle writer could just easily kill someone whenever he feels like it. With no planned end in sight, there's no reason for me to care about the series that burnt itself out a long time ago.
    That's about how I feel as well. I managed to push myself to around issue 90 (thankfully, I was reading them as back issues), and then I just got so bored. As you guys said, the plot is on repeat. Nothing different ever happens. There's no point in caring about any of the characters because you know they're all going to die. It's not a matter of if they will, it's a matter of when and how badly they'll be tortured first. And it's not like introducing new characters changes the story or character progression in any significant way. The new characters just do the same things that the old characters did, then die. Honestly, it really felt like the series was solely about showing readers all the gruesome ways Kirkman can torture and mutilate characters, as opposed to actually telling an interesting or entertaining story.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC.

you guys crack me up! LOL

Why is there a topic about reasons you dislike something. Surely you have something better in your life than to focus on the negatives of something you dont enjoy. Go make a topic discussing the things you enjoy about a book you like, it would make much more sense.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development