Default hellblazer, who and which to read?

I'm interested in reading hellblazer, after recently seeing the movie I'm guessing was based on the comics.

Anyway, I was just wondering which authors to read and in what order. I've heard that delano, was the best, but others say to read ennis, jenkins, or milligan.

So, I'm a bit confused. Is there a certain order to read them like chronologically? Or are the stories more stand alone arcs?

I'd like to get reading, but need guidance first. Thanks, and lemme know.

The comic is much different, better and more mature than the movie. After reading Hellblazer, you'll hate the movie.

All the runs are great except for Mina's. Delano being the best is subjective. There are probably more people who love Ennis' run more.

And yes, you can say it's chronological. It starts with issue #1 and sadly will be ending with issue #300 :/ However, you can start at the beginning of any run if you want, like any long running series but it might be more rewarding with some runs if you have read the previous runs.

Just start with the new edition of Original Sins and glimb your way up from there.
    BB

It's not strictly required to read straight from 1 to 300, but you'll get more out of the story if you do. Generally if you start with the first issue of a particular writer's run you'll be fine. Top two are Delano & Ennis, which just happen to be the first two to write major runs. Jenkins isn't collected yet (they'll get there soon with the new trades, couple of years at this rate) so reading his run will require either patience, or hunting issues down.

I'd start with Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run. That's where the character was introduced.

Then I'd move onto Delano - but if you find the flowery exposition too irritating, skip on to Garth Ennis's run.

My recommendation is Ennis, then Azzarello, then Jenkins, and then Carey and Diggle.

I picked up the hellblazer pandemonium hardcover at a local comic shop last night. The owner said its a good first read of helblazer as its the 25th anniversary, by the original author, and the artwork is awesome.

He also recommended reading the series in order from #1, starting with the original sins from 2011, as it has constantines stuff from swamp thing in it, and hellblazer #1-9. Then after that just working my way up til it ends at #300.

Thanks for the advice guys!

There's only two issues from Swamp Thing in the new printing of Original Sins and neither is from the Alan Moore run. John features pretty heavily in earlier Swamp Thing stories, so it may be worth looking those up.

I'd agree that you should just start from the beginning and read them all. I've read almost all of it and the only arc I didn't like was "The Fear Machine." Denise Mina's run was padded out but it wasn't too bad.

"Pandemonium" is very good.

I haven't read that much Hellblazer sadly (but I'm only 18, so there's plenty of time, and with the series ending next month there's a finite number of issues to discover). So I can't comment on most of it.

But I highly recommend Delano's run! It's just brilliant!

I've started reading Ennis' run (which is actually the first time I've read any of his work... How have I managed that?) and it's been really good! I've heard that this is one of the bet runs on the series.

I'm really enjoying Milligan's current run as well, which is ending the series.

If you want to start from the beginning then you're in luck! They've started releasing the whole series in numbered volumes I believe, starting with Original Sins. But really I guess you could start at the beginning of any writer's run. But Delano's started the series, so I see no reason not to start there
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART