Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default interested in reading gaiman's sandman, which version?

I've recently stared reading graphic novels and I'd like to read the sandman series. But, I'm not sure which version to go with.

I know the story has 10 parts, and also some other volumes based on death, and other characters.

So which version do you guys think is best? I know it comes in like absolute, annoted, omnibus, and other versions.

So, I should read volumes 1-10 first right? Then which ones come after that?

Lemme know guys, thanks.

Yip, just read vol's 1-10 and I would start from #1.

It doesn't really matter what format you do it in, the story won't change :)

I've got the TPB's and they're great. The other format's may have recoloured art and glossier pages, but that's about it.

After reading those you'll know if you want to try related series, and can expand from there.

Have fun, it's a fantastic series.

I got the 1-10 slipcase. After that I suggest Death Deluxe, Sandman Dream Hunters, then Sandman Endless Nights to cap it off. Then read the new miniseries starting this fall! :D

How is the artwork for the various versions? I'm sure the original, as its old isn't that great? And the newer versions like absolute have been recolored, and the annotated version is black and white only. So from an art perspective, which is the best version?

The new trade paperbacks have been recolored.
    BB

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

I love the art, especially in the first volume of the series.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by jiongu View Post
    How is the artwork for the various versions? I'm sure the original, as its old isn't that great? And the newer versions like absolute have been recolored, and the annotated version is black and white only. So from an art perspective, which is the best version?
    Why would you think old art isn't that great? The art varies wildly from arc to arc so everyone is going to have a different opinion. Personally, I like Sam Kieth's art. It gives the book a nice old-school horror comic look.

The first few trades have been recoloured; the rest have been "remastered," which I'm not sure exactly what that means.

Culé Forever

I bought the slipcase myself and am currently on 'A Game Of You' :-)

I may just get Death Deluxe afterwards...

Default Edition Breakdown

Sandman editions:

1--Original TPB. These are now mostly out of print, though some may be lingering in bookseller warehouses and are often available second-hand. They are also the editions most commonly available at libraries. This is how I was first introduced to ʼSandman, and they are perfectly serviceable editions. Extra features are minimal, like most standard TPBs.

2--Re-released TPB (in slipcase). These are the current printing. They are the rough equivalent of the previous editions. Though opinion is divided on this, I strongly prefer the re-colored images. Printing technology has improved enough that the new colorists have been able to match the art style, particularly in early issues, far better than the original printings. Once again, extras are minimal, but this is my preferred edition. It's also the most economical.

3--Annotated Sandman. These editions feature the extras. I have perused, though not bought, these versions and have been underwhelmed. They do have some interesting nuggets and tidbits, but it mostly reiterates information that most comic book readers would already have determined for themselves. However, if you are new to comic books, this information may help orient you in the Sandman world, which is heavily indebted to DC mythology grounded or revived in the late 70s and 80s. Importantly, though, these editions are BLACK AND WHITE. The paper is somewhat flimsy and extremely prone to shedding ink.

4--Sandman Omnibus. I know very little about these upcoming editions. My intuition is that, like most Deluxe editions, they'll resemble the newly re-colored TPBs in a slightly enlarged page-format with some additional extras. These editions are usually very beautiful but VERY cumbersome. I know Volume 1 will collect the first 37 issues, which is a huge page number. You would also have to wait, since the first volume won't even be released until the fall.

As for the other stories in the Sandman universe, you can read them in any order, but I would suggest waiting on those until you have finished the full original series.

Quote Originally Posted by harpier View Post
    Sandman editions:

1--Original TPB. These are now mostly out of print, though some may be lingering in bookseller warehouses and are often available second-hand. They are also the editions most commonly available at libraries. This is how I was first introduced to ʼSandman, and they are perfectly serviceable editions. Extra features are minimal, like most standard TPBs.

2--Re-released TPB (in slipcase). These are the current printing. They are the rough equivalent of the previous editions. Though opinion is divided on this, I strongly prefer the re-colored images. Printing technology has improved enough that the new colorists have been able to match the art style, particularly in early issues, far better than the original printings. Once again, extras are minimal, but this is my preferred edition. It's also the most economical.

3--Annotated Sandman. These editions feature the extras. I have perused, though not bought, these versions and have been underwhelmed. They do have some interesting nuggets and tidbits, but it mostly reiterates information that most comic book readers would already have determined for themselves. However, if you are new to comic books, this information may help orient you in the Sandman world, which is heavily indebted to DC mythology grounded or revived in the late 70s and 80s. Importantly, though, these editions are BLACK AND WHITE. The paper is somewhat flimsy and extremely prone to shedding ink.

4--Sandman Omnibus. I know very little about these upcoming editions. My intuition is that, like most Deluxe editions, they'll resemble the newly re-colored TPBs in a slightly enlarged page-format with some additional extras. These editions are usually very beautiful but VERY cumbersome. I know Volume 1 will collect the first 37 issues, which is a huge page number. You would also have to wait, since the first volume won't even be released until the fall.

As for the other stories in the Sandman universe, you can read them in any order, but I would suggest waiting on those until you have finished the full original series.
    You forgot the absolute editions, no?
    BB

Default Addenda

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    You forgot the absolute editions, no?
    Yes, I did.

So...

5--Absolute Sandman. These, as most of the 'Absolute' collection, I find fantastically over-priced for what they are. They are hardcover editions, with slipcases, that combine content from (usually two) TPB releases. The format is usually slightly larger, as would be appropriate for a more prestige edition. Like the re-released Sandman TPB editions, these have re-colored issues 1-18 and remastered the rest. They add some extras, but these are often few and largely uninteresting, more for completionists than beginners.

And, of course...

6--Single Issues. Although these are often very expensive, partly because Sandman's legacy has only enhanced its value as a collectors' piece, and of variable quality, full runs of the comics appear for sale fairly frequently through second-hand dealers. It's always an interesting exercise to visit (or particularly re-visit) a series in the cultural moment it was released in. Conventions regarding publication change, and the inserted ads can be intriguing. I've recently been reading through Moore's mid-80s run of Swamp Thing in single issues, and it's a different experience than the fine editions Vertigo released a few years ago. And, the other week, I was thumbing through a friend's copies of Frank Miller's 1982 Wolverine mini-series and was surprised to find his name almost entirely absent, Miller not yet being a household name in the comics world and the creator being a much more influential buying-point than the author anyway.

So people. Correct me if I'm wrong:

If I want to enjoy the COMPLETE SANDMAN EXPERIENCE without missing any single story or spinoff I should buy:

1. Re-released TPB (in slipcase).
    2. Death Deluxe
    3. Sandman Dream Hunters
    4. Sandman Endless Nights

And that it's all? (don't count the new mini series because it's not out yet!)
    Please if someone can answer me this I'll be very thankful!

Yeah, you've got it right.
    BB

If he wants spin-offs, doesn't that lead to a whole lot more of minis and things like The Dreaming?

Those were more of their own thing.
    BB