Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 260
  1. #61
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    If the blond woman in the snow is Cassie, why is she wearing a hi-tech neck brace we've never seen in the Titans comic? Besides, the woman in the snow looks older, than Cassie would be. Perhaps, she is Doctor Cyber, Eviless or even Veronica Cale.
    We're calling her Cassandra because that's what one of her colleagues, Mr. Butler, calls her a couple of issues back. It doesn't mean we think she's Wonder Girl. The possibility did occur to me at one point, but she is certainly older than that Cassie would be; this Cassandra worked on decoding the tattoo about the Firs Born for the better part of 60 years, she says. She apparently ages very well, which is one reason to think she may be a demigod. Specifically, I think she may be the up-to-no-good daughter of Zeus who was hurt by Lennox.

    Quote Originally Posted by sirjustin
    This is also all assuming though that Dionysus is telling the truth which, given the nature of the current cast of Wonder Woman, isn't necessarily true, non?
    It's only assuming for the moment and for the sake of argument, to say that even IF he's telling the truth, he doesn't necessarily have a full understanding of War's intentions and motives. I agree that Dio isn't necessarily telling the truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog
    Was the aborted Diana/Orion fight on the first page like some thought
    Yep.
    Last edited by slvn; 01-24-2013 at 08:19 AM.

  2. #62
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    If the blond woman in the snow is Cassie, why is she wearing a hi-tech neck brace we've never seen in the Titans comic? Besides, the woman in the snow looks older, than Cassie would be. Perhaps, she is Doctor Cyber, Eviless or even Veronica Cale.
    Don't think anyone here thought Cassandra was Cassandra Sandsmark

    Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    And I think Demeter looks RIDICULOUS. What's with the wingy shoulder-things in that dress? Why would an Earth goddess, still be wearing Eighties-styled dresses, with big, wingy shoulder-crap? And with a face, like that, why is Demeter wearing a DRESS, at all? She looks like a green BEAGLE, ..a green beagle in a sun dress! She looks like a clown!

    Demeter's interpretation for a horror comic should look scary or eerily beautiful or somehow reflecting the power of the Earth, ..but, Chiang's Earth goddess just looks silly, and the Earth is not silly. That's Demeter's problem in a nutshell. Cliff Chiang has been ingenius in his modernizations of the Greek Gods, and he's entitled to one dud.

    Demeter is that dud.
    Ever considered that Demeter is physically appearing as Mother Earth and as such doesn't need to be another Poison Ivy bombshell.

    Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    Here's how you do a Green Goddess...

    Yeah...about as good as painting Lou Ferrigno green to play the Hulk...then add silly armor.

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    If the blond woman in the snow is Cassie, why is she wearing a hi-tech neck brace we've never seen in the Titans comic? Besides, the woman in the snow looks older, than Cassie would be. Perhaps, she is Doctor Cyber, Eviless or even Veronica Cale.

    All we know is that she's blond and modeled on a friend of Chiang's.

    And I think Demeter looks RIDICULOUS. What's with the wingy shoulder-things in that dress? Why would an Earth goddess, still be wearing Eighties-styled dresses, with big, wingy shoulder-crap? And with a face, like that, why is Demeter wearing a DRESS, at all? She looks like a green BEAGLE, ..a green beagle in a sun dress! She looks like a clown!

    Demeter's interpretation for a horror comic should look scary or eerily beautiful or somehow reflecting the power of the Earth, ..but, Chiang's Earth goddess just looks silly, and the Earth is not silly. That's Demeter's problem in a nutshell. Cliff Chiang has been ingenius in his modernizations of the Greek Gods, and he's entitled to one dud.

    Demeter is that dud.

    Here's how you do a Green Goddess...

    No offense, but that looks horribad.

    Like, laughably stupid.

    Much prefer Chiang's version.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

    http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

  4. #64
    Senior Member Seant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    Okay, that's hilarious. Her name should be Serpenta.

    As for the blond woman in the Arctic-- I think people are really stretching it when they hope it'll be someone from Diana's history, like Cassie or Veronica Cale or Dr. Cyber. Azzarello has made it pretty clear he's not interested in characters from her past.

  5. #65
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seant View Post
    Okay, that's hilarious. Her name should be Serpenta.

    As for the blond woman in the Arctic-- I think people are really stretching it when they hope it'll be someone from Diana's history, like Cassie or Veronica Cale or Dr. Cyber. Azzarello has made it pretty clear he's not interested in characters from her past.
    Way back, when asked if we'd see old characters besides Hippolyta, he said "not so much," but then added "you'll see some" ( http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dcnu...lo-110826.html ). I think somewhere he said no classic villains during the first year, which is now over. Still, I don't doubt that Cassandra is a new character, but she may possibly include some nods to old characters. She could, for instance, be to Dr. Cyber as Aleka is to Artemis (as with Cassandra Sandsmark's first name thrown in, as we've already seen. Why call her "the blond woman in the Arctic" when a character has already addressed her as Cassandra? See the second panel below, from issue 14. Whether her name is just a coincidence or is meant as an allusion to Cassie Sandsmark--or to the mythic Cassandra, for that matter--is another question, or course.)

    Last edited by slvn; 01-24-2013 at 10:42 AM.

  6. #66

    Default

    Another fantastic issue!

    Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    Here's how you do a Green Goddess...

    All I see is Lady Kobra.

  7. #67
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bretttc1
    Diana stands around a lot
    Yeah, but while she's standing around, she's both compassionate and persuasive with Milan. I don't know if you would have preferred to see her in a seated or supine position, but she seems very "Wonder Woman!" to me.

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    Here's how you do a Green Goddess...

    Uh, no. Just....no.

  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Yeah, but while she's standing around, she's both compassionate and persuasive with Milan. I don't know if you would have preferred to see her in a seated or supine position, but she seems very "Wonder Woman!" to me.
    She is dramaticly active, though. She's taking action in a dramatic sense, if not in a superhero sense.

  10. #70
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    She is dramaticly active, though. She's taking action in a dramatic sense, if not in a superhero sense.
    Well put. That's basically what I was saying to Brett, who had said she was just standing around.

  11. #71
    The Magnificent Bastard sberg1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    I loved this issue. This run has just been so fantastic. I can't wait to read it all in one glorious sitting when Azzarello has completed his odyssey - this is a true superhero epic.
    Top DC: Wonder Woman
    Top Marvel: X-Men, Hawkeye, All New X-Factor, Ms. Marvel


    RIP I, Vampire

    Twitter!

  12. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Well put. That's basically what I was saying to Brett, who had said she was just standing around.
    I see this from my perspective, where I do a fair amount of theatre analysis and drawing upon forms beyond the standard comic book tropes. Nothing wrong with superhero action, but a lot of times it becomes MORE effective when the writer uses it sparingly.

  13. #73
    Senior Member Seant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Way back, when asked if we'd see old characters besides Hippolyta, he said "not so much," but then added "you'll see some" ( http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dcnu...lo-110826.html ). I think somewhere he said no classic villains during the first year, which is now over. Still, I don't doubt that Cassandra is a new character, but she may possibly include some nods to old characters. She could, for instance, be to Dr. Cyber as Aleka is to Artemis (as with Cassandra Sandsmark's first name thrown in, as we've already seen. Why call her "the blond woman in the Arctic" when a character has already addressed her as Cassandra? See the second panel below, from issue 14. Whether her name is just a coincidence or is meant as an allusion to Cassie Sandsmark--or to the mythic Cassandra, for that matter--is another question, or course.)
    I called her the blond woman in the Arctic because I was typing on my phone and I thought her name was Cassandra but wasn't sure. In any case, I think Azzarello is not the type to give nods to earlier characters-- just doesn't seem his thing. In that he doesn't give Easter Eggs, he's the anti-Easter bunny.

  14. #74
    Senior Member Seant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    And the more I think about it, is this the original Cassandra? Has she had her throat ripped out so she can't give doomsday prophesies anymore?

  15. #75
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seant View Post
    And the more I think about it, is this the original Cassandra? Has she had her throat ripped out so she can't give doomsday prophesies anymore?
    That would have been pointless, Apollo later cursed her so no one would believe her. But the thought had occurred to me that it was that possibly that Cassandra.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •