Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default your opinion on these comics

after reading A TON of issues of Marvel and DC, i thought i would broaden my interests and pick some other comics, i came across these two that really intrigue me, Saga and Morning Glories, any input on these two? anything i should prepare myself?

i choose Saga because my friend said it is like Star Wars haha, and im a huge fan.

as for Morning Glories, i always wanted a good gore High School type of comic.

both very good mornig glories like lost saga realy good science fiction

Haven't read Saga.

I read the first TPB of Morning Glories recently and wasn't terribly impressed by it. The art was beautiful, but I didn't really like any of the characters (some I out-right hated), and the story (what little there was) mostly bored me. It really just felt like I was reading a comic from someone who thought they were Joss Whedon. After finishing it, I put in my junk comic box where books I don't like pile up before getting sent off in a load of Goodwill stuff.
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

I wouldn't recommend reading Morning Glories for the gore. The first arc was fairly straightforward in its way, but the stuff going on now is pretty challenging.

I can recommend Saga. Haven't read Morning Glories. I get more of a Farscape vibe than Star Wars.

Saga is definitely good. I'm trade-waiting it, but you will love the first trade. It's a brilliant comic.

As for Morning Glories? It's another series I'm trade waiting, and in a few months the fourth trade comes out, finishing the first "season" as it were. It's violent, yes, but it can be a very confusing read that is quite challenging at the best of times. There's a lot going on both in front of you and behind the scenes, so it takes a couple of reads to get your head around, and the more you read then the more sense it makes... well, aside from when it makes less sense ;)

Both are fantastic.

Be prepared for a head scratcher with MG though.

I've read the current 9 issues of Saga and thought it was okay, but I didn't like how it seemed like a lot of stuff in the comic was weird just for the sake of being weird. My final thought on it is that it's a good comic, but is over-hyped.

I've only read a couple issues of Morning Glories, so I can't comment much about it, aside from it didn't grab my interest enough to continue with it.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Saga is an absolute no-brainer for me. As a HUGE Star Wars fan myself I'll go out on a limb and say you would LOVE LOVE LOVE that book.

As for Morning Glories, it's more like a high school version of Lost except set on a school campus not an island. Gore isn't really anything to speak of in that book. I would also echo the sentiment that it is "challenging". If you like LOTS of mystery that takes deep thought and even some research outside of the pages of the book, check it out. If you just want a fun read, that's not the book for you.

But honestly - Saga is one of the best choices you could make right now.

A couple others to consider for your gore fix would be Chew (handles it in a cartoony way but the story is FANTASTICALLY FUN!) or Locke & Key (from IDW).
    Last edited by ugdave; 01-23-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    PULL: Chew, Walking Dead, Saga, Batman, Lil' Gotham, Bedlam, Hellboy in Hell, Jupiter's Legacy, East of West, The Wake, Sex, Trillium, Miracleman, Sandman Overture, Rocket Girl, Sex Criminals

Love them both. Saga was the most critically acclaimed series of 2012 and deserves the attention. Morning Glories is an excellently done mystery comic. A warning on that though - most people think it reads better in trades because it's a very looooong form mystery story. So you get hints and teases but not much answers on a month to month basis. And they're only about a 1/4 of the way through their planned story so you'll continue to wait for a lot of answers. But it's a really interesting and well done book.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Saga!!! Best comic I have read in years

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Saga is the better of the two, but Morning Glories is still worth it, I think (probably not in single issue, though).

Saga is great. Of the two, it's definitely the better book.

I just couldn't get into Morning Glories. I'd recommend picking up Prophet instead.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    but Morning Glories is still worth it, I think (probably not in single issue, though).
    I think it works well in trade. Just don't read all three in one go. Your brain will die.

Both are excellent for different reasons. They complete my Top 3 ongoings with Storm Dogs by David Hine and Doug Braithwaite at #1.