Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Ralph Nader: game companies are 'electronic child molesters'

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/ralph-na...esters-6402713

All of which makes me wonder, yet again, why are so many Americans aghast at the idea of "legally enforceable" ratings for video games, like what we have in the U.K. and elsewhere? We've come a long way since the days when pixelated red sprites were the worst thing parents had to worry about their children seeing in video games, after all.

Ralph Nader. The biggest dumbass since Fredric Wertham.
    Super Hero Squad Online - Curious Mad General - Current Rank: 1300.

True Believer - Proud Purchaser Of The Marvel Heroes Ultimate Pack!

The problem is he thinks all gamers are children and that all games are directed at them. That's the thing with people like this, they judge the gaming industry on what they think it is, instead of what it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by the_kaz View Post

All of which makes me wonder, yet again, why are so many Americans aghast at the idea of "legally enforceable" ratings for video games, like what we have in the U.K. and elsewhere? We've come a long way since the days when pixelated red sprites were the worst thing parents had to worry about their children seeing in video games, after all.
    Eh, I hope we never have a rating system like the U.K. or some other places do.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    The problem is he thinks all gamers are children and that all games are directed at them. That's the thing with people like this, they judge the gaming industry on what they think it is, instead of what it actually is.
    Because Nader's an old nutball who doesn't understand anything about society under the age of 50.

Quote Originally Posted by the_kaz View Post

Stupid work computer...

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    Judging by the title he sounds like he's being absurd, but what's wrong with a rating system?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

I hope we get one of those rating systems where games can be banned from the entire country because some old guy saw half an ass cheek in one of the trailers.
    My mom gave my computer cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post

Judging by the title he sounds like he's being absurd, but what's wrong with a rating system?
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I hope we get one of those rating systems where games can be banned from the entire country because some old guy saw half an ass cheek in one of the trailers.
    That's what is wrong with a rating system, or at least one that is far too strict.

Nader is way off base here, and another poster got it correct. Video games are generally not targeted to kids.
    Why am I playing Call of Duty though and some 8 year old is calling me a motherf!#%er? The parents had to have bought that game even though it has a big M rating on it.
    Also I'm curious if Ralph has ever played any video games outside of Pong while getting high in some flop house. I play violent video games all the time, I have since I was a kid. I'm 31 years old now and I have never had a desire to harm anyone! Video games haven't made me want to shoot up a grocery store, school, theater, or what have you.
    Sweet, I saw blue alien rump in Mass Effect, but I'm not turning into some sex crazed psycho either!
    There are other root problems here and it isn't the games, the movies, etc. I have no clue what that problem is but there are plenty of people smarter than me. Maybe they can figure it out before the ranters and ravers win out.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    The rating system in the UK is fine, we don't ban games really here at all. To be honest, if anything it's ineffectual. Mainly as (about to sound quite judgemental) the type of parents that want their kids plopped in front of a console and out of their hair are happy to buy the 18 rated games for their kids.

Not that I'm saying all parents who have gaming kids are like that!

Anyone who's worried that a legally-enforceable rating system is a slippery slope towards this kind of thing has no idea what they're talking about and needs to do their homework first. I can't remember the last time a video game was actually outright banned in the UK ('Manhunt' was voluntarily lifted from the shelves by some major high street retailers after a big-name newspaper ran a huge fear-mongering campaign about it, and nothing like that has happened since). As another user pointed out, the ratings system is largely ineffectual anyway, as parents still buy their children adult games, and I know all about it because I've worked in video game retail for years, but I'm glad that it's there.

Stupid work computer...

We already have a rating system.

Quote Originally Posted by idlewildered View Post
    The rating system in the UK is fine, we don't ban games really here at all. To be honest, if anything it's ineffectual. Mainly as (about to sound quite judgemental) the type of parents that want their kids plopped in front of a console and out of their hair are happy to buy the 18 rated games for their kids.

Not that I'm saying all parents who have gaming kids are like that!
    I'm not really sure how their rating system is for video games. But if it's anything like their movie rating system; were edits can be forced, and movies can be out right banned...then I don't want it. And it doesn't matter if nothing has been banned, the fact that things can be banned is the problem.

I could care less if some parent lets there kids play 18/M rated video games, if they're ok with it, that's there business. It's hard for me to fell any kind of outrage about that kind of thing when I grew up playing Mortal Kombat in arcades. Video Game rating are also some of the most sensitive rating systems around, Itchy & Scratchy shit would get you a M rating in the world of video games.

I got carded to buy a game at walmart when i was 26, and hadn't shaved in 3 weeks, causing me to have a beard.

Quote Originally Posted by sHayden View Post
    That's what is wrong with a rating system, or at least one that is far too strict.
    K: when some one says rating system I just picture an R or PG or A or whatever pasted on the the movie/TV show/game/etc. I'm fine with that if there's no censorship.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I got carded to buy a game at walmart when i was 26, and hadn't shaved in 3 weeks, causing me to have a beard.
    Stores are getting really obsessive about that. 26, full beard, slightly balding, are you sure I'm old enough to play Lollipop Chainsaw? Just put it in the bag dammit. The machines actually flash and warning with M Games and R Movies, and won't go through until they have the cashiers OK.
    My mom gave my computer cancer.

K: when some one says rating system I just picture an R or PG or A or whatever pasted on the the movie/TV show/game/etc. I'm fine with that if there's no censorship.
    Canadas rating system sounds pretty harsh. Or at least it did, I don't know what it's like now.

Stores are getting really obsessive about that. 26, full beard, slightly balding, are you sure I'm old enough to play Lollipop Chainsaw? Just put it in the bag dammit. The machines actually flash and warning with M Games and R Movies, and won't go through until they have the cashiers OK.

It's funnier when you see someone in their 60s getting carded for spray paint.