Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Here we ..... go DennyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cape Coral, Florida
    Posts
    2,894

    Default Now That Rush Is In...

    It's about time some other, perhaps even more deserving bands, got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Please spare me the whole 'the rock and roll hall of fame is complete shit anyway so who cares' argument, it may be true but...). Right off the tipe of my head I can think of three bands who deserve the honor more than Rush did:

    Motorhead (are to punk and speed metal what Van Halen is to '80s hair metal)
    Deep Purple (as talented as Zepp, as heavy as Sabbath)
    Iron Maiden (Sabbath is in, Metallica is in, yet Maiden isn't? Really?)


    If you could put an act/artist into the rock and roll hall of fame who would it be?
    Last edited by DennyK; 02-04-2013 at 05:43 AM.

  2. #2
    Suspect Device Romero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    I haven't given this any serious thought but all your choices sound great to me. I'm most surprised Deep Purple aren't in there, of those choices.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

  3. #3
    Elder Member dupersuper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    30,916

    Default

    Spinal Tap and Tenacious D
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

  4. #4
    In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    13,398

    Default

    Off the top of my head:

    Hall and Oates
    Journey
    Def Leppard
    Bon Jovi

    Arguably the four biggest groups of the 1980's. Spare me the argument of the first two not being rock because this is a Hall of Fame that is now accepting rap and has already inducted artists like Madonna and Michael Jackson who were less rock than the first two.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    531

    Default

    nobody deserves the honour more than Rush did.

    But I take your point.

  6. #6
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Somewhere In....AMERICA!
    Posts
    50,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennyK View Post
    It's about time some other, perhaps even more deserving bands, got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Please spare me the whole 'the rock and roll hall of fame is complete shit anyway so who cares' argument, it may be true but...). Right off the tipe of my head I can think of three bands who deserve the honor more than Rush did:

    Motorhead (are to punk and speed metal what Van Halen is to '80s hair metal)
    Deep Purple (as talented as Zepp, as heavy as Sabbath)
    Iron Maiden (Sabbath is in, Metallica is in, yet Maiden isn't? Really?)


    If you could put an act/artist into the rock and roll hall of fame who would it be?
    The only way anyone gets into Jann Wenner's "Hall of Fame" is if he wants them in. If he has personal grudges against a band or singer NOPE...won't go in.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

    Sucks 200 character limit.

  7. #7
    Reed Richards' Apprentice Miss Fantastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The Baxter Building (The 34th story, to be precise.)
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    It is quite apparent that Jann Wenner and Co. have a progressive rock allergy outside of Pink Floyd, Genesis, and now Rush...

    Electric Light Orchestra
    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
    Hawkwind (if there is a nomination for Motorhead (with which I wholeheartedly agree), Lemmy's other band, also the founders of the 'sci-fi rock' genre, should have an entry too)
    Jethro Tull
    King Crimson
    The Moody Blues
    Yes

    Deep Purple and Iron Maiden not being in is sheer blasphemy as well.
    Last edited by Miss Fantastic; 01-23-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    "Honore et amore" - Richards Family Motto

    The Fantastic Cometh!


    SHSO - Plastic Fantastic Fungus / Lvl: 2000s / Sigs: Mister Fantastic & The Fantastic Four

  8. #8
    Senior Member doolbnoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    hell
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fantastic View Post
    It is quite apparent that Jann Wenner and Co. have a progressive rock allergy outside of Pink Floyd, Genesis, and now Rush...

    Electric Light Orchestra
    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
    Hawkwind (if there is a nomination for Motorhead (with which I wholeheartedly agree), Lemmy's other band, also the founders of the 'sci-fi rock' genre, should have an entry too)
    Jethro Tull
    King Crimson
    The Moody Blues
    Yes

    Deep Purple and Iron Maiden not being in is sheer blasphemy as well.
    yeah, Hawkwind & King Crimson & YES and the GREAT Iron "fuckin' " Maiden! And Motorhead! So happy for RUSH... Now get these others in... dammit. What about, ,say, Diamond Head?


    I'll literally shit if they ever induct GG Allin in there. wonder what his display would be like?
    [There's a place in my mind.The one part that isn't looking for a joke.When laughter breaks down, and humor can't quiet its hunger,the rage gets out]-Harley Quinn

  9. #9
    Here we ..... go DennyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cape Coral, Florida
    Posts
    2,894

    Default

    After further consideration the following acts should also be in:

    Rainbow (hits with three different lead singers and a major shift in approach)
    Cheap Trick (It's Cheap Trick for crying out loud, enough said)
    Judas Priest (same reason that Maiden should be in)

  10. #10
    I don't mind the pain Oskar Von Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Karloffornia!!
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doolbnoom View Post
    I'll literally shit if they ever induct GG Allin in there. wonder what his display would be like?
    Haha that would be fucking awesome!!

    Only one I can think of is LINK WRAY.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, Frankenstein Alive Alive, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy in Hell, King Conan: The Conquerer, Minimum Wage, Stray Bullets: Killers

  11. #11
    Agent. CLASSIFIED. Superchino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fantastic View Post
    It is quite apparent that Jann Wenner and Co. have a progressive rock allergy outside of Pink Floyd, Genesis, and now Rush...

    Electric Light Orchestra
    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
    Hawkwind (if there is a nomination for Motorhead (with which I wholeheartedly agree), Lemmy's other band, also the founders of the 'sci-fi rock' genre, should have an entry too)
    Jethro Tull
    King Crimson
    The Moody Blues
    Yes

    Deep Purple and Iron Maiden not being in is sheer blasphemy as well.
    My problem with putting these acts in is that it is a hall of fame and not a hall of good. Whether music or sports, it is sad to see decent to good acts commemorated as great acts deserving of that recognition for as long as said hall of fame should exist. Any hall of fame should be reserved for the absolute best, and the Rock n Roll HOF is even more notorious than the sports halls for putting in good acts rather than the absolute cream of the crop for a given generation and leaving the rest of the bands for the museum exhibits. All of these bands had talented lineups and good songs, but I would not equate them with greatness or fame.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Romero View Post
    I haven't given this any serious thought but all your choices sound great to me. I'm most surprised Deep Purple aren't in there, of those choices.
    Don't know where they are now,but only if Rod Evans and Nicky Simper and Joe Lynn Turner are there as well.I know there was bad blood between DP and Evans many years ago but it's time to let go guys.Despite initial booing from hardcore fans over Turner the album delivers. With Lord sadly now gone maybe the clique between Lord and Paice that Turner seemed to think was arrayed against him has dissolved.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennyK View Post
    It's about time some other, perhaps even more deserving bands, got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Please spare me the whole 'the rock and roll hall of fame is complete shit anyway so who cares' argument, it may be true but...). Right off the tipe of my head I can think of three bands who deserve the honor more than Rush did:

    Motorhead (are to punk and speed metal what Van Halen is to '80s hair metal)
    Deep Purple (as talented as Zepp, as heavy as Sabbath)
    Iron Maiden (Sabbath is in, Metallica is in, yet Maiden isn't? Really?)


    If you could put an act/artist into the rock and roll hall of fame who would it be?
    Without a doubt Cold Blood w. Lydia Pense and The New York Rock and Roll Ensemble.Especially with Michael Kamen's untimely passing recently.Brewer and Shipley comes to mind if they are not already in and ditto for Jesse Colin Young's post Youngbloods career.Please tell me all the ones I picked are already in.

  14. #14
    Here we ..... go DennyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cape Coral, Florida
    Posts
    2,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Don't know where they are now,but only if Rod Evans and Nicky Simper and Joe Lynn Turner are there as well.I know there was bad blood between DP and Evans many years ago but it's time to let go guys.Despite initial booing from hardcore fans over Turner the album delivers. With Lord sadly now gone maybe the clique between Lord and Paice that Turner seemed to think was arrayed against him has dissolved.
    I don't recall Joe Lynn Turner ever singing for Purple, he was the third lead singer for Blackmore's post Deep Purple outfit, Rainbow. Turner became lead singer after Ronnie James Dio and Graham Bonnett had both fronted the band for three and one studio album respectively. Turner was brought in in what seems to have been Blackmore's desire to achieve vast mainstream success, a goal that was reached with the hits "Can't Happen Here" and especially "Stone Cold".

    There does seem to be a lot of bad blood between Ritchie Blackmore and the majority of the singers that count themselves as members of Deep Purple, Ian Gillan most of all.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennyK View Post
    I don't recall Joe Lynn Turner ever singing for Purple, he was the third lead singer for Blackmore's post Deep Purple outfit, Rainbow. Turner became lead singer after Ronnie James Dio and Graham Bonnett had both fronted the band for three and one studio album respectively. Turner was brought in in what seems to have been Blackmore's desire to achieve vast mainstream success, a goal that was reached with the hits "Can't Happen Here" and especially "Stone Cold".

    There does seem to be a lot of bad blood between Ritchie Blackmore and the majority of the singers that count themselves as members of Deep Purple, Ian Gillan most of all.
    I wish I had the title in front of me but I don't. I believe it to be the last DP Blackmore did with them Slaves and Masters circa 1990, and after it's release and seeing the writing on the wall he split with Turner in tow and that was what became the last version of Rainbow.Turner is interviewed about this era on You Tube.He came prepared with songs to both gigs but they weren't what Paice and Lord wanted,but it was still recorded. I could be wrong.Sorry if I mislead you.There is a tendency to drop all the Ego crap on Blackmore and he deserved it but everybody in the band pulled stunts from time to time.
    Last edited by Alton; 02-11-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •