Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default COMMENTARY TRACK: DeConnick on "Captain Marvel" #9

In our latest COMMENTARY TRACK, writer Kelly Sue DeConnick joins CBR for a look at some of the pivotal pages in "Captain Marvel" #9, an issue that kicked off a new arc and gave Carol Danvers some startling news.

Full article here.

BANNED

H.A.T.E THE ART SO MUCH

that said the face shot of a shocked carol on the last page in the article was good

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

My favourite part:
    Are you interested in exploring any of Carol's other established friendships in the super hero community like, say, with Jessica Jones-Cage?
    Sure, yeah. And Aña Corazon, too. It's a matter of having a solid story reason to bring them in.

Other than that, the interview was fun, but I'm not sure I like this "illness" angle. Let Carol BE A HERO for a year or two before you tear her down.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by Movieartman View Post
    H.A.T.E THE ART SO MUCH
    that said the face shot of a shocked carol on the last page in the article was good
    Really?

I thought this was some of the best/most unique comic book art I've seen in a long time. I dropped Captain Marvel at issue one because I couldn't tell which character was which and why Carol's hair resembled tentacles.

American at the Crossroad
    This weird geometrically shaped place in northern VA...

It's one thing to have a different style in art, but when you don't draw characters the same from page to page, eyes on faces are at near 45 degree angles in relation to each other (check the cab driver), some faces are barely human or defined at all, and some scenes are like unfinished sketches, it's distracting. The story was good and had a lot of KSD's humor, but the sloppiness wasn't; if you're going to have a "style," make it consistent. Still, it's better than the incomprehensible mess that was his "art" on Onslaught Unleashed, particularly #4.

its the limbs, I could get used to the art style (and maybe even like it) if he would draw arms and legs better

just look at those knees and elbows, they are terrible

I got to say, I can't wait to see how Mrs. DeConnick uses the new Spider-girl into the series.

Senior Member I'm Not Daredevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Movieartman View Post
    [I][B][U]H.A.T.E THE ART SO MUCH
    I think its pretty good. Carol's face looks kinda awkward though.

I know some people may like it, but I think it isn't the appropriate art to help make it an established ongoing.

I think this book needs someone with a cleaner style, who draws women really well. My guess its that do to sales they can't afford to put high paid artist on the book and make the financials work. So given the choise of art that may not be my cup of tea and having a Captain Marvel book or having no book at all, give me the art I don't love!
    "Cyclops was RIGHT!!

I loved this issue, it's really the first time I can say that about the series too...it's never been bad, but I didn't feel like it had any of the heart the last Ms Marvel series did and this issue changed that.

wouldn't mind the artist sticking around too,I thought it was expressive and fun.
    dazzler_emma frost_cyclops_angela_longshot
    red hood_harley quinn_deadshot_aresenal_deathstroke

This issue also turned me back onto this series. I really liked the dinosaur fight. That's the stuff I like to see.

The supporting cast is fun too, but I'll admit, I have a hard time relating to Carol's urban lifestyle. Its so ingrained in the book that I feel like I'm somewhere else when I read it.

Is Andrade the new regular artist or is this another temp?

This issue had some fun art.

Good tableaus. Good gesture.
    Maybe overdoes it on applying the style to the faces.
    Last edited by PupsOfWar; 01-22-2013 at 12:02 PM.

The art style on the dinosaurs remind me of bill watterson. Really like the art overall.
    Reading: All New X-men, Batman, Cable+X-force, Harley Quinn, Morning Glories, Sex, Sexy Criminals, Uncanny X-men, Walking Dead, X-men
    Like gum? yumyumgum.com

Looks interesting and with the new development with Carol she is going to have a lot of challenges but it will make her a a better hero in the end. Interesting art but really compelling and move the story along.
    “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman