Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Nick Spencer's Jimmy Olsen was great, and probably the best thing he's done, (ironically and sadly). If they'd continue those kind of stories the character would be less expendable.

Jimmy Olsen was a product of the time when Superman comics were supposed to be fun and crazy and pure imagination-there were no rules for those comics, pretty much anything could and did happen. In the pretentious world of today's comics and comic movies, no fun is allowed. So the only reaction to something as stupid as them changing Jimmy into Jenny and acting so serious about it is total ridicule.

Pretentious shit has to be ridiculed; it's all it deserves.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Nick Spencer's Jimmy Olsen was great, and probably the best thing he's done, (ironically and sadly). If they'd continue those kind of stories the character would be less expendable.
    Yeah, I was reading the first issues of Jarck Kirby's run on Superman's Pal and.....Jimmy is actually surprinsingly badass in it. Quick thinker, wants to get the story, doesn't get impressed by the weird stuff happening to him....
    How come they ever got rid of that characterisation, I will never know. Especially for......whatever they did (or didn't do) with him.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

How did I end up double posting?
    Last edited by Auguste Dupin; 01-22-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Skeptical of the IMDB but that's pretty cool if true.

Can't really say I care all that much. I like Jimmy as a character but its not like he was ever going to have a big role in a film anyway. If they want to replace him with a female, doesn't really bother me.

And for those who are bothered by it, just pretend she has a younger brother Jimmy. Kinda like they did with Smallville.

I'm not really a Jimmy Olsen fan as I haven't read all that much of the character but it seems strange to do something like change his gender. I can't imagine that (if its happening) the girl was cast based on her acting because it would say the gender of the part in the casting call wouldn't it? To do something like this is so arbitrary that it adds nothing but it removes the subtlety of having this be an actual adaptation. I almost wish they did something with the character to emphasize the change otherwise it seems like a poor handling of the character rather than a new and different take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    Oh boy. If true, Jimmy is now Jenny in the new MOS film. I think its proof that WB are so desperate for another superhero franchise to work that they are willing to pretty much do anything to distinguish that this film is not the same as Superman Returns. However, I can't see this being a popular change.
    Yup, audiences are gonna get wound up because they changed the gender of a minor character, who would be in the movie for atmost a total of 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher-Z View Post
    The whole point is that Jimmy's supposed to be Supermans bro or buddy.

Now that he has a vagina thats completely ruined the relationship. Its not the same. You cant relate and joke around with a woman the way you do with your best buds. An opportunity to see Clark with a bud just hanging out checking girls or w/e has been greatly missed.
    In other words, a man and a woman can't be best buddies. They always need to have some sort of relationship between them.

What a load of bullcrap.

Quote Originally Posted by listenuscrewheads View Post
    I bet this character is not even that relevant to the film, never mind being Superman's 'best friend'.

It's funny how they just made Lois Lane a redhead as well.
    Did you notice the way audiences freaked out when they made Catwoman a redhead? Yeah, me neither.
    Last edited by The Man From Room X; 01-22-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Technically, if they cut Jimmy from the movie entirely, it's unlikely to effect the plot for the movie anyway.

I am not liking this at all! I don't mind creative changes, but I am not liking this! It's Jimmy not Jenny!

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Room X View Post

In other words, a man and a woman can't be best buddies. They always need to have some sort of relationship between them.
    Well they can.

You either end up fucking them because of casual attraction, or if theyre not sexual attractive just friends. But theres no WAY you can be friend with a girl the way you can be with your best buds. Neither of those is how Jim's and Clarks relationship is.

Come on, dont fool yourself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Room X View Post

What a load of bullcrap.
    QFT.

10char

once and future

I'm surprised people still care about things like this. Even DC Comics now has no interest in preserving characters as they've traditionally been, so why would you expect Warner Bros to be beholden to the sex of an existing character?

If they can make a movie that is true to the core of Superman as a character, and is entertaining, they'll have succeeded. Random changes such as this one don't speak well for the integrity of the film, but really, it's not that frigging hard to write Superman in a way that feels genuine. If they can get that right, they've succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
    I'm surprised people still care about things like this. Even DC Comics now has no interest in preserving characters as they've traditionally been, so why would you expect Warner Bros to be beholden to the sex of an existing character?
    Or why would you expect thespians as an art form to be always beholden to what has existed before?

Seriously, theatre and film has ALWAYS played around with the gender and race of classic characters, from Shakespeare onward. Why would ANYONE expect anything different?

It doesn't speak to the integrity of the film period, positive nor negative.