Default Would you buy a new Spawn toy line?

I am an avid toy collector and I recently got back into reading Spawn comics after about a 10 year absence. With next year being the 20th Anniversary of McFarlane Toys it got me thinking of ways it could be celebrated.

There are a few toy companies who are finding success with nostalgia based toy lines. Mattel with Masters of the Universe Classics, Watchmen, Voltron and DC Universe Classics, Hasbro with Marvel Legends and Marvel Universe and Playmates with TMNT Retro. I would like to see McFarlane Toys follow this plan and release a new Spawn toy line in the vein of a "classics" series. No hyper styled statues, just poseable, fully articulated action figures.

I have asked this question around some toy forums I frequent and there seems that people would like to see the line come back providing it was fully articulated and in scale with the other comic toy lines.

Would you support a return of the Spawn toy line?

i used to buy mcfarlane toys because of its attention towards details in sculpting. i dun really bother much about the articulation - in fact, i like the fact that there are none in the MF toys.

last year i bought a walking dead rick grimes for a friend by MF (shes a huge rick fan). i saw the sculpting done on it and i am sorely disappointed at the quality has gone downhill.

so no, i will not support a return to the toy line. but hey, just my 2 cents.

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

I'm not really into Spawn these days but I wouldn't mind seeing McFarlane do more figures based on Image comics, for example I still want to see someone do Hack/Slash figures even though Seeley is ending the series in a few months. And I'd also like to see him do more figures that are the same size as the TWD ones. I wasn't into the 4-5 inch figures at first after being spoiled by Neca and Mezco doing larger figures, but now that I'm running out space, I wouldn't mind smaller figures. ;)

As for McFarlane's TWD line, I wasn't impressed with the comic book lineup at all, I felt the Rick and Michonne just weren't sculpted very well. However, I picked up the Rick and Shane that McFarlane has done for the tv lineup and I personally feel the Rick sculpt looks a lot like Andrew Lincoln, while the Shane sculpt is a bit off but it isn't bad. The prototypes I've seen of Merle and Michonne also look pretty good. And for the record, according to toy sites, McFarlane has no intention of continuing on with the comic book line, supposedly sales weren't that good. But it isn't shocking that the tv line sells better, the tv show pulls in over 10 million, the comic only pulls in 40 or soo thousand.

I actually had a lot of Spawn action figures during the 90s and early 2000s--enough that I had a couple of boxes full of them--but my interest in them waned around the same time my interest in Spawn did (I haven't picked up a Spawn comic in nearly ten years). Can't honestly say that I will support a new Spawn toyline, especially with the average 3.75-inch figure now hovering around 10 bucks and bigger ones going for more.
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

Ive never much been a fan of articulated figures. I prefer the "mini-statue" like figures of past Spawn series and id love to see more of those.

I also think it would be great if McFarlane would do other Image Comic figures. Invincible, Haunt, Top Cow stuff etc etc.

It was the statues that turned me away from McFarlane Toys. I like to pose my toys, not have them posed for me.

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C. Earl View Post
    Can't honestly say that I will support a new Spawn toyline, especially with the average 3.75-inch figure now hovering around 10 bucks and bigger ones going for more.
    Well inflation comes into play on almost everything, even when it comes to tipping strippers. But I imagine other things factor into the rise as well, such as the level of interest being less than it was in the 90's. In the 90's anything McFarlane put out usually sold super fast, and most kids still liked toys. These days a lot of kids like gadgets and games over toys and the adult interest has waned. Hot Topic, Spencers, and Suncoast were three big retailers for Mezco, Neca, and McFarlane but then Suncoast folded, most of the Hot Topics stopped carrying figures, and Spencer's put them on clearance. Neca is pretty much the only company that caters to an older set action figure wise that seems to really still be going strong, they just keep grabbing one franchise after another, while McFarlane seems to be acting a bit more cautious these days by just sticking with sports figures and TWD. In short, while I would like to see McFarlane crank out some more comic book figures, like a new Savage Dragon, it won't happen because it just wouldn't turn a big enough profit. I like SD but at the end of the day, it isn't a big enough property to warrant waking the slaves up at whatever chinese manufacturing company McFarlane is using these days.

I would assume that McFarlane Toys would attempt to get other Image Comics properties for this line if they were interested in doing it. There is all of Youngblood, Savage Dragon, Cyberforce, Darkness, Witchblade, Haunt, Saga, Elephantmen, etc. to choose from.
    Last edited by TheFallen; 01-22-2013 at 04:10 PM.

No, not until they release Invincible and proper looking WD Figures

I have always loved the look and the "Wow-Factor" of the SPAWN toys but frankly I just have no place to store them. Besides, have there been any new "toy-friendly" characters? The last I remember was CY-GOR (which shows you how long I've been out of touch!)

HOWEVER, my DVD player is SCREAMING for a new SPAWN ANIMATED SERIES or series of animated movies! It was the purchase of a Spawn VHS and later the "Anniversary Collection" that renewed my interest in the character 5 years ago and I'm still here! As another contributer has commented, I am collecting the "Origins" TRDPBKs to catch up on what I've missed!

SPAWN and GREEN LANTERN have really dominated my TRDPBK purchasing lately! And I'm loving it!
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!