Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 91
  1. #76
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanParkerMan View Post
    Ahhh... it wasn't that bad. The covers were truly beautiful works of art. Joe Q is amazing on the pencils and I actually like his Peter Parker and Spider-Man a lot. His Mary Jane in One More Day was beautiful. In OMIT not so much. I thought he and everyone else who worked on the book actually solved the continuity issues just about as well as they could and the back and forth between One More Day art and OMIT art was pretty freaking cool.
    Covers were pretty, especially the Spidey hugging MJ and disappearing into the blue ether background one which I had set as my office desktop wallpaper last year. Everyone commented on it and asked about it, in return getting a shipload of Spidey info including the ridiculousness of OMD from yours truly. :p

    But then again Models Inc. had gorgeous covers too and it was apparently awful, with MJ not even appearing in the issue that had her on the cover! Also, as EuphemismForSex pointed out, they were just attempting(terribly at that) to tie up their self-created, totally unnecessary continuity mess, so no kudos points.

    Oh well, I am glad they had Peter pull in MJ into the protective shell so that she didn't forget his secret. Only true to character moment Quesada allowed the webslinger. So be happy for the small things, I guess?
    Last edited by Confuzzled Mutie; 01-23-2013 at 06:47 AM.

  2. #77
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    under heroid's purposed "if it made it into a book its continuity"... wouldnt that mean said dating is a retcon too
    And what does is it say about DC that Marvel still has a far less messier continuity than they ever had?

  3. #78
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Moderator land
    Posts
    28,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    And what does is it say about DC that Marvel still has a far less messier continuity than they ever had?
    lol, i know right.

  4. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    And what does is it say about DC that Marvel still has a far less messier continuity than they ever had?
    That they've been around a lot longer.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

  5. #80
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    That they've been around a lot longer.
    That gives them a pass until the reboot in the 80s, but the continued mess after that? Inexcusable.

  6. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    That gives them a pass until the reboot in the 80s, but the continued mess after that? Inexcusable.
    Guess it depends on what one is interested in; DC's continuity "issues" never really bothered me.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

  7. #82
    Moderator Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    23,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    That gives them a pass until the reboot in the 80s, but the continued mess after that? Inexcusable.
    There are some other reasons.

    DC has consistently absorbed other universes. Wildstorm is the most recent. Before that, you had Fawcett (home of Captain Marvel), Charleton (home of Blue Beetle, Captain Atom and the Question), Quality (home of Plastic Man) and Tower (home of THUNDER Agents.)

    Meanwhile, Marvel is built primarily on the work of two men who often worked together: Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

    The best DC comics tend to be self-contained: The Dark Knight Returns, Golden Age, The New Frontier, All-Star Superman, Kingdom Come, Batman Year One, Batman: The Killing Joke, Superman For All Seasons, etc.

    The best Marvel Comics tend to be part of a larger run within a shared universe: The Lee/ Kirby Fantastic Four, The Lee/ Ditko Spider-Man, The Claremont/ Byrne Uncanny X-Men, Frank Miller's Daredevil, The Ultimates, Ultimate Spider-Man, Stern's Amazing Spider-Man, etc.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

    Formerly,
    Cyberman

    Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

  8. #83
    Senior Member RyanParkerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There are some other reasons.

    DC has consistently absorbed other universes. Wildstorm is the most recent. Before that, you had Fawcett (home of Captain Marvel), Charleton (home of Blue Beetle, Captain Atom and the Question), Quality (home of Plastic Man) and Tower (home of THUNDER Agents.)

    Meanwhile, Marvel is built primarily on the work of two men who often worked together: Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

    The best DC comics tend to be self-contained: The Dark Knight Returns, Golden Age, The New Frontier, All-Star Superman, Kingdom Come, Batman Year One, Batman: The Killing Joke, Superman For All Seasons, etc.

    The best Marvel Comics tend to be part of a larger run within a shared universe: The Lee/ Kirby Fantastic Four, The Lee/ Ditko Spider-Man, The Claremont/ Byrne Uncanny X-Men, Frank Miller's Daredevil, The Ultimates, Ultimate Spider-Man, Stern's Amazing Spider-Man, etc.
    Great post Mets!!!
    Kevin Nichols is jealous of my friendship with Oldschool.

  9. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There are some other reasons.

    DC has consistently absorbed other universes. Wildstorm is the most recent. Before that, you had Fawcett (home of Captain Marvel), Charleton (home of Blue Beetle, Captain Atom and the Question), Quality (home of Plastic Man) and Tower (home of THUNDER Agents.)

    Meanwhile, Marvel is built primarily on the work of two men who often worked together: Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

    The best DC comics tend to be self-contained: The Dark Knight Returns, Golden Age, The New Frontier, All-Star Superman, Kingdom Come, Batman Year One, Batman: The Killing Joke, Superman For All Seasons, etc.

    The best Marvel Comics tend to be part of a larger run within a shared universe: The Lee/ Kirby Fantastic Four, The Lee/ Ditko Spider-Man, The Claremont/ Byrne Uncanny X-Men, Frank Miller's Daredevil, The Ultimates, Ultimate Spider-Man, Stern's Amazing Spider-Man, etc.
    Very astute observation and precisely put. Let's remember that DC only started employing a strict continuity for their universe of characters as a response to what Marvel was doing, hence where you started seeing pitfalls like whenever they tried to explain and streamline continuity differences such as Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour and Flashpoint. That's because, unlike Marvel, they were trying to create a continuity after the fact whereas Marvel started off with one. And I agree that DC's strength lies in telling self-contained stories that do not have to fit into a particular continuity so long as the portrayal of their characters remains intact and consistent throughout.
    --Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

    Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

  10. #85
    Junior Member SPIDER-FAN(1)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    México
    Posts
    138

    Default

    It would have made ​​more sense to accept the deal Mephisto.

  11. #86
    Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    13,414

    Default

    I do think DC has bigger continuity problems, especially with their new, "It probably still happened only everything was completely different" policy.

    They also have a history of putting out grass fires with gasoline, ala Zero Hour, which brought attention to continuity problems newer readers didn't know existed, and solved nothing.

    Marvel, on the other hand, passed over stuff like The Crossing entirely. Tony's back and he's his old self and he's not a traitor because...well, because!

    OMD stood out because it's an exception to the rule, a continuity nightmare that makes DC's 1980s Hawkman scratch his head.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

  12. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Then whyd you say "NOW"? If you are still mad then you are still mad, indicating that you are now mad is not necessary. Plus, we werent given anything new by bleedingcool's article. This was confirmed to be gibberish by the letterer shortly after it hit stands.
    But it wasn't gibberish.

  13. #88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    its been over 5 years and now you are mad at OMD?

    Dude, when it came out we knew it was gibberish text. Just because bleeding cool found away to make it into something that sorta resembles what many wanted it to actually be doesnt mean it wasnt gibberish text to begin with.
    We didn't make anything into anything. We zoomed in and screencapped.

  14. #89
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Moderator land
    Posts
    28,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichJohnston View Post
    But it wasn't gibberish.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichJohnston View Post
    We didn't make anything into anything. We zoomed in and screencapped.
    good to know, but thats still garbled text. Finding a way to make it more readable still doesnt net plain text when zoomed in on the page.

    Add to that: it doesnt change the fact that the script calls for "indistinguishable" text and that the letterer himself confirmed that fact along with adding that he "made up" what was in the bubble:

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Eliopoulos View Post
    Nope. Look. Guys, end of conspiracy. The script just said indistinguishable dialogue. I made something up. It isn't anything. Let it go. :)
    Its cool, but it really isnt anything that matters at this point.

  15. #90
    100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,455

    Default

    You all need better things to worry about.
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

    SW

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •