Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Saga, #9

"Saga" #9 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples dish the dirt on Gwendolyn, Marko's old love, who provides The Will with one lucky break that leads to another, each furthering a separate mission.

Full review here.

Lying Cat, like everything else in regard to Saga, is just pure brilliance. What a great time it is to be into comics!

Saga is easily the book I most look forward to every month, and thats saying something when amazing books like Batman, Fatale and Daredevil are put on the back-burner. I haven't read any Brian K. Vaughn comics before Saga and I definitely need to read them!

@CrazyShady- Can't speak on his other work, but Y:The Last Man is incredible.

And yeah, this is now one of the books I look forward to most each month. I read my Marvel stuff, but none of it has me really invest right now. But my Image books are always a treat.

I still love Saga, but this issue wasn't up to Vaughn's usual standards in my opinion. It's still good. It took some time to develop Gwendolyn, Stalk, and the Will. But at times it felt too much like filler. It didn't really tie into what was going on with Marko's family, which I thought was really heating up after what his father revealed. I was also looking forward to a confrontation between Marko and Gwendolyn. I'm okay with waiting a while for it, but thankfully it's only one of the many elements that make Saga awesome.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by lefthighkick View Post
    Lying Cat, like everything else in regard to Saga, is just pure brilliance. What a great time it is to be into comics!
    I feel the same but am unsure! I'm glad I started my 2nd collection of Comics about 8 months ago and have gotten into it. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyShady View Post
    Saga is easily the book I most look forward to every month, and thats saying something when amazing books like Batman, Fatale and Daredevil are put on the back-burner. I haven't read any Brian K. Vaughn comics before Saga and I definitely need to read them!
    Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina are both fantastic. Definitely check them out!

for me, the weakest issue so far, but still the best read of the month, which says a lot. I guess I didn't dig it as much as previous issues because of the lack of Alana, who I love to read. Saga is undoubtedly the best book on the shelves these days.

i thought it was great. what was the last ongoing that by issue 9 could spend an ENTIRE issue on a supporting characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Apers View Post
    I guess I didn't dig it as much as previous issues because of the lack of Alana, who I love to read.
    I had this thought exactly. Alana is the reason I love this book like I do, and I missed her this month.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyShady View Post
    Y: the Last Man and Ex Machina are both absolutely fantastic, must-read books for anyone even remotely interested in comics. I truly believe them to both be among the very best comics of all time.

Those are must-reads. If you're still wanting more Vaughan after that, I'd say that his run on Runaways and his OGN, Pride of Baghdad, are definitely must-haves for your BKV collection.

After that, there's nothing particularly essential, though I thought his run on Mystique and the Dr. Strange mini-series he did with Marcos Martin were good fun (though the latter is out of print). You might also check out the Hood: Blood from Stones, the mini where BKV created the Hood. Again, it's decent fun, but not at all essential. It's also out of print, though easier to find than the Dr. Strange mini. Just stay away from his run on Ultimate X-Men, which is basically the only time he's ever truly stumbled.

But yeah, basically, Y and Ex Machina are MUST READs and I also give a big, hearty thumbs-up to Runaways and Pride of Baghdad.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Agreed. cannot recommend Y enough. Pick up the hard covers on Amazon, as the set of five is less then $100 dlvd. WELL worth it

Hey everyone! New to the boards just thought I'd drop in a let everyone know I'm starting a Saga community page that I'll be updating regularly with info on the series BKV, Fiona Staples, and other related miscellanea. Check it out and spread the word. Thanks! www.fb.com/BKVSaga