View Poll Results: Which is the better ending for Batman?

Voters
77. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • The Dark Knight Returns

30 38.96%
  • The Dark Knight Rises

38 49.35%
  • Other

9 11.69%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Psh, you're so dismissive of his shoulder injuries..
    Goofball. You made me laugh.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Psh, you're so dismissive of his shoulder injuries..
    LOL! I did forget his irreparable shoulder injuries. To be honest, I'd taken Nolan Batman off my fantasy Justice League ever since I heard he'd broken his hip...
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    You're exactly right, ispacehead: Nolan went too far in terms of how bad Bruce's leg injuries were, added a spinal injury, and then dismissed it with a prison pep talk.
    I love the movie but this criticism is one billion percent legit.

After the wave of resignations and terminations today, it's good to know I can at least make a couple of people smile - even if it is over the interwebs...

Thanks

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

I like Returns better (love them both), but it's not an ending for Batman. Rises, by default.

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    I love the movie but this criticism is one billion percent legit.
    Yeah. Looking back I think they should have had Batman and Bane fight soon after the end of TDK and had his back broken then. Something happens that makes it look like Bane is dead until he resurfaces. Then they could have made it that it wasn't that he was still injured after 8 years, but that he was facing the same man who broke him at his best even though he couldn't come close to that anymore after 8 years. The way they have it the only way to make it make sense is if the extent of his injuries was a mental problem, i,e, had he been less depressed he wouldn;t have had a limp regardless of the cartiledge problem, which was somehow missing from both knees and his shoulders.

doible post. stupid internet not responding.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-23-2013 at 12:39 PM.

I think people don't seem to understand the knee injury.

It was a psychological crutch, not a physical one. The crippling was all in his head. That's why the brace "worked" instantly - it gave him the confidence (and the excuse) he needed to move beyond the injury so that he could get back in the game, now that he had the drive to do so again. The whole point of the scene wasn't to show that Fox had a brace that would enable Bruce to shatter bricks instantly - it was to show that Bruce really didn't need it at all in the first place.

As for the back injury - I'm not familiar with how long back injuries take to heal, especially the kind that Bruce had. It wasn't like a Knightfall-style injury, where his back was broken and he was paralyzed. Remember, Bruce had almost 5 months in that pit to heal and get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Haytil View Post
    I
    It was a psychological crutch, not a physical one. The crippling was all in his head.
    The doctor specifically told Bruce he had no cartilage in his knees. That's not something you just shake off.

I picked TDKR simply because Batman gets to be happy for once, even if it's not the 'better' ending for Batman. The Dark Knight is the better Batman ending. Open ended.
    Reading: All New X-men, Batman, Cable+X-force, Harley Quinn, Morning Glories, Sex, Sexy Criminals, Uncanny X-men, Walking Dead, X-men
    Like gum? yumyumgum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Haytil View Post
    I think people don't seem to understand the knee injury.

It was a psychological crutch, not a physical one. The crippling was all in his head. That's why the brace "worked" instantly - it gave him the confidence (and the excuse) he needed to move beyond the injury so that he could get back in the game, now that he had the drive to do so again. The whole point of the scene wasn't to show that Fox had a brace that would enable Bruce to shatter bricks instantly - it was to show that Bruce really didn't need it at all in the first place.

I guess you missed the bit where the doctor tells him there's no cartilage.

Here's what happens in the scene:

'Doctor: I've seen worse cartilage in knees.
    Bruce Wayne: That's good.
    Doctor: No, that's because there is NO cartilage in your knee, and not much of any use in your elbows or your shoulders. Between that and the scar tissue on your kidneys, the residual concussive damage to your brain tissue, and the general scarred-over quality of your body, I cannot recommend that you go heliskiing, Mr. Wayne.'

Yeah, that was all 'in his head'...

(guys, we all forgot the elbows! whoopsie)

As for the back injury - I'm not familiar with how long back injuries take to heal, especially the kind that Bruce had. It wasn't like a Knightfall-style injury, where his back was broken and he was paralyzed. Remember, Bruce had almost 5 months in that pit to heal and get better.
    His vertebrae was protruding and placing pressure on the nerves in his spinal column. That was the key thing to his recovery, that his spinal column wasn't severed. But 'poking' it back in to place and just having him hang like a piece of meat...well, if that 'medical process' works for you then...*shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    The doctor specifically told Bruce he had no cartilage in his knees. That's not something you just shake off.
    And yet Bruce only had a problem with the one knee while the other was as functional as he needed it to be.. There isn't a reason for the exact same injury to cause such a big effect on one limb and not the others unless it was psychological.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    And yet Bruce only had a problem with the one knee while the other was as functional as he needed it to be.. There isn't a reason for the exact same injury to cause such a big effect on one limb and not the others unless it was psychological.
    Or the team dropped the ball on it...

*shrug*

It happens. The hospital sneak-around window scene could have been a later addition, for example.

I guess you missed the bit where the doctor tells him there's no cartilage.

Here's what happens in the scene:

'Doctor: I've seen worse cartilage in knees.
    Bruce Wayne: That's good.
    Doctor: No, that's because there is NO cartilage in your knee, and not much of any use in your elbows or your shoulders. Between that and the scar tissue on your kidneys, the residual concussive damage to your brain tissue, and the general scarred-over quality of your body, I cannot recommend that you go heliskiing, Mr. Wayne.'

Yeah, that was all 'in his head'...

(guys, we all forgot the elbows! whoopsie)

His vertebrae was protruding and placing pressure on the nerves in his spinal column. That was the key thing to his recovery, that his spinal column wasn't severed. But 'poking' it back in to place and just having him hang like a piece of meat...well, if that 'medical process' works for you then...*shrug*
    No one's arguing that the injuries didn't exist, just that the extent of their effects was psychological. Does it work with real life logic? No. This is one place where some of us accept a slightly different logic on the movie universe, like how I can accept the back smashing treatment under the 'magic oriental medicine' trope even though there's no real logical way it could work.

I definately agree that they should not have made his injuries so serious early on, and should have made it more obvious that he had a mental problem that was effecting him physically.

He ends up with a gorgeous Catwoman in Rises. End of debate.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy