Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Should Superman find a defense against Magic?

Seeing how he can be effected by it, can he withstand it by finding a defensive way to nullify it. I wonder how Superman deals with Magic to begin with when he fights people like Cap. Marvel and Diana?

Clark should totally have some form of defense against it. It used to be assumed back before the reboot that League training taught everyone a little bit of everything, so you learned some mental shielding techniques from J'onn, breathing exercises to clear your mind from Batman, and basic magical defenses from Zee. Not that everyone in the League is a wizard or telepath, but every little bit of an advantage you can gain you know? If that training helps you hold off a mental controller like Psimon that much longer, even if its just a few seconds, that might be the difference between saving the world or letting it all fall apart you know?

And I always wondered why more heroes dont "gear up" properly. You watch Young Justice, you see Aqualad and that kid has some kick to him. The standard Atlantean strength and speed, water manipulation, electrical discharges, combat training, Aqualad is a beast. And now he's wearing Manta armor with all their missiles and lasers and extra protection. Thats hardcore. Why the hell isnt everyone doing that? Why Superman doesnt have a lead-lined costume with mental buffers and protective runes is beyond me. You'd think, doing what these guys do, with the stakes as high as they are, they wouldnt say "Hey, you know, Im pretty badass. I figure all I need is me, my powers, and the costume mom made me. I can take on evil gods and cosmic forces like that. Armor? Weapons? Protection against my few weaknesses? Nah, Im good."

Superman has exactly the same specific defenses against magic the rest of the non-sorcerous members of the League have: absolutely none. That includes Batman.

His regular defenses (strong willpower, invulnerability, superspeed...) tend to help plenty against a lot of magical attacks though.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Well it's a comic book so to keep the character familiar they don't go off that far. Superman likely does have a fortress full of things that would keep him so ready for any situation that it would put Batman to shame. But he only uses it as needed. It would be the same argument as why don't the heroes just kill villains or why doesn't Superman just lock them all in the PZ forever.....it's a comic book and he's not really that character. The only reason AL in YJ is wearing that armor is out of respect for his father and that motif. If he comes back to the team he likely will not wear that simple as that. It's story driven.

I however do like it when Superman uses him mind and skills to build things to save the day. Bulding something that goes outside of his power is always cool to me or something to work with his powers.

So yes I think he should have a type of magic defense but not one that is absolute or maybe not one he has with him at all times. If he gains to big a defense against it then that may cut off a few story possibilitys that can only be used if he had the weakness.

In pre-crisis days , superman did sought the help of Zatanna to rid his weakness to magic but she said that she couldn't do it so he went to earth 2 and ask Dr Fate for his help and while he said that he could do it , he needed superman's help against an alien sorcerer first. In the end , after they won and with Dr Fate preparing his spell to make superman immune to magic , superman was the one who decided not to go through with it.

Well lets begin with what is magic? You seem to approach it like it's a one size fits all. There isn't just one type of magic and their isn't just one defense against it. Even Doctor Fate and co have issues. Egyptian magic is a different animal from the Greeks. Toss in some science and all the rules are gone. Then of course someone from the 5th dimension isn't using magic nor "science".

When Superman fight's Captain Marvel/Shazam. His disadvantage is that Marvels lighting you know really hurts. But of course Marvel doesn't use it too much because it can change him back. Typically Marvel and Black Adam are Supermen powered by magic as opposed to the sun. Same goes for Diana.

Superman isn't really weak against magic. It's like saying humans are weak against fire/atomic bombs/cyanide/old age...etc. Superman just doesn't have a defense against magic that changes the rules of reality. Of course magical attacks he does have a defense against. Marvels lightning would kill a normal person.

Going back to the start, Superman could find some runes or what not, but unless he can find a defense for every single variation of magic(which Zatanna and Fate don't have), it's not going to happen. Some of the wards/defenses, simply need you to be a magic being to begin with. Hell some need you to be a human being.

I don't think there needs to be a defense against magic. However, I also prefer the idea that some magic works on him if it's powerful enough, and magic that isn't powerful enough doesn't work. It's kind of like red sunlight; some writers abuse the hell out of this vulnerability and make it as though all magic is like Kryptonite against Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Superman has exactly the same specific defenses against magic the rest of the non-sorcerous members of the League have: absolutely none. That includes Batman.
    Yeah, everyone needs to find some defense against magic. It isn't like Superman is any more susceptible to it than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    His regular defenses (strong willpower, invulnerability, superspeed...) tend to help plenty against a lot of magical attacks though.
    Well, not really. Not invulnerability, anyway. Speed and willpower, I guess. But if Superman gets hit by magical lighting, the result is the same as a normal person getting hit by lightning. Which is typically not good. His invulnerability is null against magic.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Yeah, everyone needs to find some defense against magic. It isn't like Superman is any more susceptible to it than anyone else.

Well, not really. Not invulnerability, anyway. Speed and willpower, I guess. But if Superman gets hit by magical lighting, the result is the same as a normal person getting hit by lightning. Which is typically not good. His invulnerability is null against magic.

Well not really as far as the lightning goes because if you or I were to get hit by say Caps lightning more than once we would more than likely die instantly. So he's got a bit more defense to him than most

I always liked that he was vulnerable to magic and reality warpers like Mxy. It knocks Supes down a few pegs and makes him use his head instead of just punching the sh!t outa whatever problem is at hand.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Senior Member greatmetropolitan's Avatar

I like to think that there's part of Clark that doesn't look TOO deeply into magical defence because it comforts him to know there's something that could take him down if he ever went bad.
    Buy or download my first self published comic, Taking Flight!
    Available at www.laseragecomics.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    I like to think that there's part of Clark that doesn't look TOO deeply into magical defence because it comforts him to know there's something that could take him down if he ever went bad.
    I like to agree with this thinking fellow Scot!

Scotland ftw!!!

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

I just think he doesn't need to be explicitly vulnerable to magic. Shazam's lightning affects pretty much anybody it strikes, and like others said, it would kill a regular being. Going up against, say, Arion is a tall order for anybody. Mordru needn't be threatening to Superman in particular: He's a threat to pretty much anyone in the DC Universe.

To wit, I don't believe Superman should be immune to magic like he is to a lead bullet. I do, however, feel that many writers go overboard with it, i.e. having a run-of-the-mill demon be a threat to Superman because he's, like, you know, magic and magic suffuses his claws and his magic swipes leave magic wounds which inflict magic pain, etc. That particular nonsense I can live without. Other than that, I see it like this: Superman is no more immune to magic than he is to energy blasts (Mongul's old inner fire, for example), as long as it comes from a powerful enough source. Pulling a rabbit out of a top hat and beating him over his head with it really shouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Not quite. It's more complicated.
    Say someone throws a magical fireball at him... He's immune to fire. It just doesn't hurt him. But if somebody hits him with fire that specifically can magically burn anything, he's in trouble. He can still use superspeed to dodge it though.

He's been hit with magical lightning lots of times, but it never seems to do more than hurt a bit.

Thor hits him with a hammer that is enchanted to hit really, really, really hard... Big deal, he's superman. He can handle that.
    Someone tries to stab him with a magically unbreakable sword? No problem. Someone tries to stab him with sword enchanted to cut through anything? That may sting.

And of course he's got no defense against being turend into a toad, but then who does?
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."