View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Stanley Kubrick Movie?!

Voters
47. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Paths of Glory

2 4.26%
  • Spartacus

3 6.38%
  • Lolita

2 4.26%
  • Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

17 36.17%
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey

12 25.53%
  • A Clockwork Orange

14 29.79%
  • Barry Lyndon

2 4.26%
  • The Shining

10 21.28%
  • Full Metal Jacket

9 19.15%
  • Other

4 8.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    No, they are explicitly him doing his take on genre movies; they're Kubrick's genre meditations. And it isn't like Kubrick made 2001 because he was a fan of The Sentinel. He wanted to make a sci-fi movie about aliens, so he went to Clarke about it.
    Who gave him a story with no aliens (except maybe the obelisk)?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Who gave him a story with no aliens (except maybe the obelisk)?
    The monoliths are alien.

No, I said he was intentinonally doing his verson of the low budget horror movies of the time.
    Personally, I didn't get that with the vague term "take," but if that's what you actually meant, then fair enough.

No, I said he was intentinonally doing his verson of the low budget horror movies of the time.
    I'd recommend watching this for a bit more into Hitchcock, and this for Kubrick. They'll give you contemporaneous context rather than the context you're trying to crowbar them into.

The monoliths are alien.
    As I mentioned...still wouldn't call 2001 "a movie about aliens".
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur C. Clarke View Post
    2001: A Space Odyssey is about man's past and future life in space. It's about concern with man's hierarchy in the universe, which is probably pretty low. And it's about the reaction of humanity to the discovery of a higher intelligence in the universe.
    I'm not sure most viewers at the time got that the black monoliths are suppose to be aliens. They don't fit the typical space alien archetype and they are very different from the B-Movie space monsters that people were used to.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Gone

Tough call between Dr. Strangelove and Full Metal Jacket.
    <- flips coin
    <- coin lands upright

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    I'd recommend watching this for a bit more into Hitchcock, and this for Kubrick. They'll give you contemporaneous context rather than the context you're trying to crowbar them into.
    I'm not trying to crowbar anything into anything. Why are you even trying to defend something that doesn't need defense? You seem to be taking this a some kind of attack on Kubrick. 2001 isn't a lesser movie (or Kubrick a lesser filmmaker) because it came from him wanting to do a sci-fi movie, some with the other movies. I mean, I don't know if you missed it, but I said those are the best of his movies; I really, really like them.

The Shining by a nose over Full Metal Jacket.

I'm not trying to crowbar anything into anything. Why are you even trying to defend something that doesn't need defense? You seem to be taking this a some kind of attack on Kubrick. 2001 isn't a lesser movie (or Kubrick a lesser filmmaker) because it came from him wanting to do a sci-fi movie, some with the other movies. I mean, I don't know if you missed it, but I said those are the best of his movies; I really, really like them.
    Your crowbarring a modern perspective that isn't right upon what actually happened, or what people's motivations were. As said, have a shufty as those documentaries and you'll see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    Your crowbarring a modern perspective that isn't right upon what actually happened, or what people's motivations were. As said, have a shufty as those documentaries and you'll see what I mean.
    I've seen the Kubrick one, I've seen all those interviews on there, as well as on supplemental documentaries on the movies themselves.

Came across this a while back and thought it was funny.

The first is from the Ishirō Honda Godzilla film Invasion of Astro-Monster (The Great Monster War), the other is from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Godzilla is the original space baby.