Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Apparently VEI has been calling LCS owners guaging interest in a toy line. Rumor is Christmas 2013 if it happens.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

I messaged Valiant on twitter asking about merchandise and the response I got was, "look for news as SDCC approaches"... sounds like there is some stuff coming.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Apparently VEI has been calling LCS owners guaging interest in a toy line. Rumor is Christmas 2013 if it happens.
    Only if true LCS owners and not just corporate big shots are in on this like Midtown/ Milehigh/Lone Star and others. Also this has to be a comic shop exclusive deal.To be perfectly honest as well as Valiant is doing they aren't out of the woods just yet and I think whatever Cheerleader within the company that pushed for this is way overestimating the call for this.They have to stop talking to the Comicon crowd who gush over everything and get out to the Mom and Pops.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Only if true LCS owners and not just corporate big shots are in on this like Midtown/ Milehigh/Lone Star and others. Also this has to be a comic shop exclusive deal.To be perfectly honest as well as Valiant is doing they aren't out of the woods just yet and I think whatever Cheerleader within the company that pushed for this is way overestimating the call for this.They have to stop talking to the Comicon crowd who gush over everything and get out to the Mom and Pops.
    Their marketing guy, Atom Freeman, has been in contact with almost every LCS in the country in the past year promoting VALIANT before and after the launch. They understand where their customer base is. If a company wants to purchase a liscence, at a price that VEI finds reasonable, why wouldn't they do it? They're a business and licensing is another revenue stream.

Obviously they aren't looking to sell toys at Toys R Us or Walmart. I would think these would be minimally produced and exclusive to comics and collectible stores and online. These guys know more than we do and even we know there isn't a large enough audience for anything beyond that.

But isn't suggesting they stop listening to the ComicCon crowd while saying they should sell exclusively to LCSs paradoxical? Pretty sure those are the same people. How many Indy books, films and games have hit it big or been killed because of their buzz at ComicCons? And Midtown, etc, are just as important for selling merchandise, if not more so, than the Mom and Pop LCS. They get more of the random shoppers who might be opened up to a new company than the same old pale basement dwellers of the LCS.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Their marketing guy, Atom Freeman, has been in contact with almost every LCS in the country in the past year promoting VALIANT before and after the launch. They understand where their customer base is. If a company wants to purchase a liscence, at a price that VEI finds reasonable, why wouldn't they do it? They're a business and licensing is another revenue stream.

Obviously they aren't looking to sell toys at Toys R Us or Walmart. I would think these would be minimally produced and exclusive to comics and collectible stores and online. These guys know more than we do and even we know there isn't a large enough audience for anything beyond that.

But isn't suggesting they stop listening to the ComicCon crowd while saying they should sell exclusively to LCSs paradoxical? Pretty sure those are the same people. How many Indy books, films and games have hit it big or been killed because of their buzz at ComicCons? And Midtown, etc, are just as important for selling merchandise, if not more so, than the Mom and Pop LCS. They get more of the random shoppers who might be opened up to a new company than the same old pale basement dwellers of the LCS.
    I believe that there are DC offerings that may be comic shop exclusive as opposed to Walmart/Toys r Us offerings,but I could be wrong here.What I am hearing from one LCS owner is that price creep for toys and associated merchandise is starting to cut in to peoples pockets and whether that will cause people to cut back remains to be seen.The Comic Con crowd is often a false balloon for what may be going on elsewhere in the country economically.It's a party not a true market survey and neither are big city stores or neccesarily Mom and Pops.It is the total market picture that Valiant has to look at and by the way Freeman did not get to every LCS in his initial sweep otherwise we may not have seen the dreaded crossovers that are starting up at Valiant.What I want is a viable publishing company that stays strong before it gets into cross marketing cheap plastic crap made by slave labor in Asia that will enter the market at inflated prices.Maybe VEI is a better company than that, and maybe not. I don't know or care, I don't collect this junk.The bottom line here is that maybe after a movie deal or two that truly bring the Valiant characters before a wider audience,and interest in related merchandise maybe I could buy into this. Not your hypothetical "random shoppers who might be opened up to a new company " which shows what you and Dan Didio don't know about marketing comics these days. I find your premise that Midtown is more important than any other LCS with it's "same old pale basement dwellers" to be typically fanboy elitist in the worst sense and I challenge you to come here to our area and say that to the local fans at all 3 of our local LCS's who love comics but don't hang at your Cons or Midtown.

I believe that there are DC offerings that may be comic shop exclusive as opposed to Walmart/Toys r Us offerings,but I could be wrong here.What I am hearing from one LCS owner is that price creep for toys and associated merchandise is starting to cut in to peoples pockets and whether that will cause people to cut back remains to be seen.The Comic Con crowd is often a false balloon for what may be going on elsewhere in the country economically.It's a party not a true market survey and neither are big city stores or neccesarily Mom and Pops.It is the total market picture that Valiant has to look at and by the way Freeman did not get to every LCS in his initial sweep otherwise we may not have seen the dreaded crossovers that are starting up at Valiant.What I want is a viable publishing company that stays strong before it gets into cross marketing cheap plastic crap made by slave labor in Asia that will enter the market at inflated prices.Maybe VEI is a better company than that, and maybe not. I don't know or care, I don't collect this junk.The bottom line here is that maybe after a movie deal or two that truly bring the Valiant characters before a wider audience,and interest in related merchandise maybe I could buy into this. Not your hypothetical "random shoppers who might be opened up to a new company " which shows what you and Dan Didio don't know about marketing comics these days. I find your premise that Midtown is more important than any other LCS with it's "same old pale basement dwellers" to be typically fanboy elitist in the worst sense and I challenge you to come here to our area and say that to the local fans at all 3 of our local LCS's who love comics but don't hang at your Cons or Midtown.
    And I'm the elitist...

Default Indies: Valiant Toys

And I'm the elitist...
    And exactly what did you refute in my statement that would make any sense of your one line brain fart?

And exactly what did you refute in my statement that would make any sense of your one line brain fart?
    Mature...well lets see...

1) How can you call someone elitist when you are suggesting that a company solely cater to you and your isolated group of consumers? Shouldn't the goal of any entertainment business be to get its product in front of, or in the hands of, as many people as possible? It's about building a brand.

2) Yeah, that Dan Didio and his "DC Comics" are complete idiots. It's not like they sell millions of dollars in merchandise every year to people who never buy a comic book. No idea what they are doing, obviously.

3) So gauging the interest of the group of people (such as Con attendees) most likely to actually purchase a product gives an inflated idea of the market? Most business people would refer to that as a focus group.

4) For someone who doesn't buy this crap and could care less, you sure have a lot of opinions about how it should be done. I am sure VALIANT will take note, since you are exactly their target audience.

5)My comment about the "pale basement dwellers" was being self-deprecating and was not meant to be offensive. I'm pretty sure most of the regulars at my or any other LCS would laugh at that hemselves. That doesn't always come across well in text, though I wonder how well you fit that description if it upset you so much.

If there is anything else you wold like me to refute, feel free to not let me know.

Mature...well lets see...

1) How can you call someone elitist when you are suggesting that a company solely cater to you and your isolated group of consumers? Shouldn't the goal of any entertainment business be to get its product in front of, or in the hands of, as many people as possible? It's about building a brand.

2) Yeah, that Dan Didio and his "DC Comics" are complete idiots. It's not like they sell millions of dollars in merchandise every year to people who never buy a comic book. No idea what they are doing, obviously.

3) So gauging the interest of the group of people (such as Con attendees) most likely to actually purchase a product gives an inflated idea of the market? Most business people would refer to that as a focus group.

4) For someone who doesn't buy this crap and could care less, you sure have a lot of opinions about how it should be done. I am sure VALIANT will take note, since you are exactly their target audience.

5)My comment about the "pale basement dwellers" was being self-deprecating and was not meant to be offensive. I'm pretty sure most of the regulars at my or any other LCS would laugh at that hemselves. That doesn't always come across well in text, though I wonder how well you fit that description if it upset you so much.

If there is anything else you wold like me to refute, feel free to not let me know.
    Don't let this guy troll you dude, you're a Boss

I find your premise that Midtown is more important than any other LCS with it's "same old pale basement dwellers" to be typically fanboy elitist in the worst sense and I challenge you to come here to our area and say that to the local fans at all 3 of our local LCS's who love comics but don't hang at your Cons or Midtown.
    I would run from such a challenge, as the local fans at all 3 of your local LCS's are likely intimidating beyond belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Cross Is God View Post
    I would run from such a challenge, as the local fans at all 3 of your local LCS's are likely intimidating beyond belief.
    Lol...about time some other Troll Hunters showed up.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

"I don't collect this junk..."

And the award for "Most idiotic statement of the year" goes to....

"I don't collect this junk....."

"I will take idiotic statements for $300, Alex!"

Honestly, after reading Alton's poorly written post it has become apparent that he doesn't know anything about Valiant (or the industry as a whole) but yet feels compelled to analyze the topic anyhow.

Interesting.

Default Indies: Valiant Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Honestly, after reading Alton's poorly written post it has become apparent that he doesn't know anything about Valiant (or the industry as a whole) but yet feels compelled to analyze the topic anyhow.

Interesting.
    Ditto for your above comment and your longer complete misrepresentation in 5 parts of what I was trying to get across regarding how carefully Valiant needs to proceed in this economy.This is a great book line with potential to expand into other markets especially film/tv.Challenge still stands for you and your so called Troll Hunting syncophants to continue this discussion in person here.What the hell let's see Valiant dig itself into the same hole Acclaim did by not focusing on the books and spreading itself so thin among other problems and we won't have a company to argue over.These books do not have the cross marketing clout beyond comics that DC has built up over the decades and are selling at at best half the number they were in the 90's which is sad because they are the best books in the business.Hope to see you Chris Cross and Manga here real soon. Have a good day.

Valiant is most certainly focusing on their comics, that's their main priority, but there is also room for external projects and I'm sure they've got teams in place to ensure it doesn't affect their comics output. Remember, this is NOT the same company from before, this is different ownership with a different perspective on the industry.

I couldn't understand your post fully because it was so poorly written and lacked correct punctuation, so this is the best way I can explain it to you at the moment while I'm mobile and away from my PC.