Default Is the boxing bout between Hal and Guy still in continuity?

I just remembered the story where Hal and Guy had to decide who gets to be the GL of earth and they settle it through a fist fight. That story made me laugh a lot. I know if you haven't read the issue you might think it's silly but I think DC really intended the story to be for laughs. But in terms of characterization they really nailed the personalities of the two GLs.

It has not been referenced in the new series, so I would say it didn't. Unless they later decide to reference it, in which case it did.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

Pretty much that. But the story wasn't intended for laughs. Gerard Jones established that fighting with their rings on Earth was going to trash Coast City more than anything. So to settle the fight and to create a theme of old guard versus young, Hal and Guy decide to fist fight, with Hal using the rope-a-dope maneuver to wear Guy down. It really became a contest of wills without the rings.

Without that fight , Guy would never go out to seek another power ring , would never have gone on to take sinestro's yellow ring and prove himself all over again.
    Last edited by marshal99; 01-19-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Without that fight , Guy would never go out to seek another power ring , would never have gone on to take sinestro's yellow ring and prove himself all over again.
    Unless he did it for another reason. The only possible sequence of events that could lead Guy to decide he needed another ring was a boxing match with Hal?
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

Quote Originally Posted by glennsim View Post
    It has not been referenced in the new series, so I would say it didn't. Unless they later decide to reference it, in which case it did.
    Welcome to the Nu52...

Unless he did it for another reason. The only possible sequence of events that could lead Guy to decide he needed another ring was a boxing match with Hal?
    He lost his GL ring when he lost the match.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

He lost his green lantern ring as was the stipulation of the fight. He then decided to steal sinestro ring which led to his prestige format 3 part mini series "Guy Gardner : Reborn"

Of course , Hal also took away his sinestro yellow ring later.
    Last edited by marshal99; 01-26-2013 at 02:40 AM.

Guy just lost his ring again in GL Corps, thus proving that a boxing match with Hal is not the only way he could lose his ring.

It's a new history. Things could have happened in a completely different way.

Here's a mind-blower - what if the GLC has always had two GLs per sector, and Hal and Guy were selected at the same time, and Guy never lost his ring?
    Last edited by glennsim; 01-26-2013 at 07:14 AM.

I would say that Guy's runs with the yellow ring and the vuldarian power should now be in question since Kyle's run is now in question as well. So much for leaving stuff intact.
    _______
    |____.._|
    _(_O_)_
    |______|

I think in situations where things diverged heavily and then eventually reset itself back into what might be considered "the norm," that it can be assumed that such things just never happened at all in the new history.

It would be like Electric Superman. Since he wound up returning to being "normal" Superman there's no reason to assume he ever became Electric Superman.

This means Batman never dropped Guy with a single punch either?

Another stroke against the DCnU.
    Daredevil-Waid, and Hawkeye. (Or was before received cost of cheapest Unaffordable Health Care. At least someone (government insurance companies and congress?) get to enjoy product of my working.

Guy during that period was getting hammered all over
    - batman one punch him
    - metamorpho beat the crap out of him
    - Hal beat him in a fist fight
    - Parallax Hal beat the crap out of him when he had the yellow ring
    - Parallax Hal beat the crap out of him when he had the vuldarian powers
    - Lobo beat the crap out of him
    - Doomsday beat the crap out of him
    - Ted beat him in a boxing ring

Poor guy , the punching bag of the DCU at the time.

This is the only fight that matters:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300px-Justice_League_America_52.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	107785