Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RyanParkerMan View Post
    I like the pop culture references. And I don't get why this is an issue for a "sliding" timeline. Who cares? It's cool that Peter gave MJ an Ella Fitzgerald record 30 years ago. Just like it's cool if while they're hanging out, they watch an episode of Doctor Who. I think it's so cool that someone 20 years from now could read a Slott story and look up a pop culture reference once they finish writing the story. I think overall, it enriches the book.

Should Gerry Conway have kept Vietnam and equal rights out of his stories? I thought it was awesome to see Peter react to those things and just as awesome is that's the same Peter Parker in the books today. Well...not today today because of Spock oh whatever...
    I still love Batman Ten Nights of The Beast. That four part story is one of my favorite books from the 80s. It features Batman saving President Regan. Does it hold up today. Yes it does. Its still a great story and our current president certainly isnt Regan.

Things date books. That doesnt mean they are suddenly bad, nor does it mean they dont work anymore.

the art is really nice
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

Will Maha Yogi be used to resolve the issue between Pete and Ock. It seems like Ock could concievably seek him out for help.
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by John Zaleski View Post
    the art is really nice
    Agreed.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

The more I look at it, the more I like that costume redesign.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    In an age of trumped up "concerns" this one is the trumped-uppest.

I couldn't begin to express how little that worries me editorially.
    Surprising! Guess we have more tired internet lingo for Slott to force into his conversation. "QFT, Bobby. Quoted for Truth!"

I had no idea that it was a Community reference. I just thought it was some silly thing that Slott thought of. I like where this story is going.

Where was your bogus and manufactured outrage at the myriad 30 Rock reference we made?

In fact where's your pretend criticism been for the past 50 years that Marvel has been doing the same thing.

Has membership in your "We Are Over-Invested Grown Men Who Hate Spider-Man Comics A Bit More Than Is Healthy" fraternity sunk so low that you have to try this now?

SW
    Yes, if there's one thing Community writers hate it's references to other pop culture.

You aren't still trying to pass yourself off as a professional "pop culture critic" are you?

SW
    Ah, ad hominem how I've missed thee.

Seriously, Steve, my gripe isn't so much about that you guys are using pop culture references because, as you rightfully point out, you folks at Marvel have been doing so with Spider-Man ever since his inception. Rather, my gripe was for how Slott appears to have used that pop culture reference within the context of this particular issue. Still, I suppose this is a relatively minor gripe compared to how Mary Jane, who is the one person that knows Peter better than anyone else alive, still hasn't figured out that "Peter" is not really Peter at this point despite the fact that she plainly sees that he's acting very out-of-character. I mean, she's not exactly Lois Lane who seemingly couldn't tell the difference between Clark Kent and Superman because of a pair of glasses--she's known about his double-life and lived with the guy for years. Or how Carlie, who just by telling MJ what "Doc Ock" said, could unravel SpOck's deception, but will no doubt be too distracted by "OMG! Peter and MJ are getting back together?!" and thus forget all about it until the very end of the issue. But perhaps I'm jumping the gun on those points and will have to see how things actually play out when the full issue comes out.

I like the pop culture references. And I don't get why this is an issue for a "sliding" timeline. Who cares? It's cool that Peter gave MJ an Ella Fitzgerald record 30 years ago. Just like it's cool if while they're hanging out, they watch an episode of Doctor Who. I think it's so cool that someone 20 years from now could read a Slott story and look up a pop culture reference once they finish writing the story. I think overall, it enriches the book.

Should Gerry Conway have kept Vietnam and equal rights out of his stories? I thought it was awesome to see Peter react to those things and just as awesome is that's the same Peter Parker in the books today. Well...not today today because of Spock oh whatever...
    Again, it's not so much comic book creators making pop culture references but rather how they use them. In the preview we have Ghost Peter react to seeing SpOck and Jonah being all buddy-buddy by saying "This is crazy-town banana pants!" Then, in the very next scene with Mary Jane and Carlie, MJ says the same thing and then proceeds to explain that "Crazy-town banana pants" was something she picked up from Peter while they were living together. Then Carlie adds that Peter said "crazy-town banana pants" all the time while they were dating. The problem is that Peter has never uttered that phrase in any comic until this issue. Moreoever, people didn't even recognize that what Peter said was a nod to Community until some had a vague recollection of hearing the phrase somewhere else before and looked it up on the internet.

Still, this is a very well-written response all the same.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 01-23-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Don't get used to it. Whenever someone else takes over Peter's life and designs a cooler costume, he gets all pissy about and goes retro again!
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Spot on, Ryan. I just last weekend re-read a Marvel Team-Up Annual from circa 1981 in which THe Purple Man told Spidey to sing an Elvis Costello song and next panel there was Spidey singing "Oliver's Army" hanging upside down on his web from a streetlamp. I also remember a "Sergeant Shriver" reference to 2 from back in the Lee/Romita days. Didn't bother me then, doesn't bother me now.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Same here. Perhaps because it evokes the classic costume but has relatively minor and subtle changes compared to the Ben Reilly Spider-Man costume (which was pretty cool) and the Amazing Spider-Man movie costume (which was bad).

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Don't get used to it. Whenever someone else takes over Peter's life and designs a cooler costume, he gets all pissy about and goes retro again!
    Yep. Although, when Peter does don the webs again, I wonder if Marvel will tweak the costume yet again to make it look more in line with whatever the costume will look like in Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Speaking of dated references, MJ will know SpOck's not the real deal when he tries to change their song from "Kung Fu Fighting" to "She Blinded Me With Science."
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Speaking of dated references, MJ will know SpOck's not the real deal when he tries to change their song from "Kung Fu Fighting" to "She Blinded Me With Science."
    Or when he acts like an Alpha Male instead of how Peter acts

Except SpOck could counter that with "Come now, my sweet. You yourself said that every song was our song, didn't you?"

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post

Except SpOck could counter that with "Come now, my sweet. You yourself said that every song was our song, didn't you?"
    Actually, SpOck will counter with, "Silence, woman! You're nothing but a ten to twelve year sliding timescale continuity reference check!"

And she'll reply, "Peter, I love you!"