Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    Imagine a team of superheroes, featuring Wonder Woman, Lennox, Siracca, Milan and Hercules! With all of these Zeus scion popping up in WW, can The UNCANNY Z-MEN comic be far behind?

Z-Squad, maybe?
    You mean Thunderbolts.

After learning he hurt a sister of Diana's, I'm beginning to think gran hermano, Lennox - the Rockstar, the Gargoyle - might be about to turn evil on us.

The way I figure it Lennox's name is either a play on the duplicitous nobleman, who ultimately betrays Macbeth in William Shakespeare's Macbeth or the famous stone lions in front of the New York Public Library, ..at one time, called Leo Astor and Leo Lenox. I am leaning towards the former, since it looks like might have a less than sterling reputation among the other Zeus-spawn. There's just something I don't like about Lennox's conversation with Milan in Issue #15.

Milan didn't seem too happy to see the Rockstar.

So, may as well kiss Lennox, goodbye. A shame, because it might have been nice to see the Scion of Zeus team-up and kick some ass. Oh well...
    Last edited by MelDyer; 01-31-2013 at 06:42 AM.
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

Veteran Member

The way I figure it Lennox's name is either a play on the duplicitous nobleman, who ultimately betrays Macbeth in William Shakespeare's Macbeth or the famous stone lions in front of the New York Public Library, ..at one time, called Leo Astor and Leo Lenox.
    Interesting! Maybe it's a play on both. I don't think Lennox in Macbeth was really a bad guy, though, was he? If he was duplicitous, it was because he had correctly come to suspect Macbeth of murder, and so he did what he had to do to help bring about justice and restore order. Similarly, I think Lennox may be a pragmatist who has good goals but isn't very particular about how he attains them; he hurt his sister (Cassandra, I'm guessing) because otherwise her actions were going to jeopardize a lot of people. (By the way, regardless of the reason that he hurt his sister, doing so was evidently the reason a fury came at him so ferociously in #10). I can see him falling out with Diana over tactics, but I bet he's more of an anti-hero than a villain. And if they do fall out, they can reconcile, so keep your hopes alive.
    Last edited by slvn; 01-31-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Interesting! Maybe it's a play on both. I don't think Lennox in Macbeth was really a bad guy, though, was he? If he was duplicitous, it was because he had correctly come to suspect Macbeth of murder, and so he did what he had to do to help bring about justice and restore order. Similarly, I think Lennox may be a pragmatist who has good goals but isn't very particular about how he attains them; he hurt his sister (Cassandra, I'm guessing) because otherwise her actions were going to jeopardize a lot of people...I can see him falling out with Diana over tactics, but I bet he's more of an anti-hero...
    I think you're dead-on with his name being a play on both Macbeth's Lennox and the stone lion, Lenox, ..AND that he's probably more of an antihero, than a villain. Great, GREAT crossover potential with this character, too, if he survives the story arc. I think killing off a mysterious, quasi-immortal, nearly indestructible, fiercely independent roughneck from nowhere, who's been everywhere and done everything would be REALLY wasteful and short-sighted, ..considering what's been done with Wolverine.

And that's why I keep beating the drums for getting Lennox some easily identifiable Wonder-iconography. Bracers, a belt-buckle...something that, when he appears in other magazines, points back to the Wonder Woman comic, ..attracting a broader audience. NEW readers!

Couldn't hurt sales anymore, than they're already hurtin'.

If there's anyone with half a brain in the marketing department, they'll have figured this out by now, ..and maybe, that'll keep Lennox alive. As I've said before, nearly since his first appearance in Issue #5, with the right editorial development and marketing, Lennox is the next Wolverine, and my opinion hasn't changed.

Even if he turns rotten as eggs, let's hope the Wonder-editors keep him in Wonder Woman, as a recurring (NOT regular) character.
    Last edited by MelDyer; 01-31-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: clarity
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."

BANNED

Imagine a team of superheroes, featuring Wonder Woman, Lennox, Siracca, Milan and Hercules! With all of these Zeus scion popping up in WW, can The UNCANNY Z-MEN comic be far behind?

Z-Squad, maybe?
    Gody Mob.

God Squad.

Wonder Rangers Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    Gody Mob.

God Squad.

Wonder Rangers Z.
    Go, go Wonder Rangers! Love it! LOL

Put that bunch together - Wondy, Lennox, Siracca, Milan and a new Hercules - and they really do look a little, like the Uncanny X-Men of the mid-to-late 1980s. Can't help, but wonder, what a Team Wonder Woman would look like.

Maybe, a team book, The Wonders, a Wonder Family gone NUCLEAR, isn't totally impossible.
    Last edited by MelDyer; 01-31-2013 at 11:05 AM. Reason: style, clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    Gody Mob.

God Squad.

Wonder Rangers Z.
    Zeus Spawn.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

Lennox is not evil. He is Constantine.
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

Quote Originally Posted by Don-Jack View Post
    Lennox is not evil. He is Constantine.
    Still think the Rockstar has more in common with Wolverine, than Constantine. Constantine's not a soldier. A warrior. Constantine never could have fended off an attack from Cerberus, barehanded and without black magic. Not THAT Cerberus!
    Last edited by MelDyer; 01-31-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: clarity

Veteran Member

Still think the Rockstar has more in common with Wolverine, than Constantine. Constantine's not a soldier. A warrior. Constantine never could have fended off an attack from Cerberus, barehanded and without black magic. Not THAT Cerberus!
    And on the other hand, I don't think Lennox is quite the master planner or con man that Constantine is. Lennox might have seemed that way in WW 5 and 6, but then we learned that he'd been getting a lot of this thinking from the wind (i.e, Sirracca). Also, Lennox seems less selfish than Constantine is (or at least less selfish than COnstatninte pretends to be).

And on the other hand, I don't think Lennox is quite the master planner or con man that Constantine is. Lennox might have seemed that way in WW 5 and 6, but then we learned that he'd been getting a lot of this thinking from the wind (i.e, Sirracca). Also, Lennox seems less selfish than Constantine is (or at least less selfish than COnstatninte pretends to be).
    Constantine is pretty selfish! Heh'heh...

Honestly, I can't WAIT for the day, when truly dynamic characters, created exclusively for regular use in Wonder Woman, can pop-up in other comics and lure readers back to Wondy's book. When that happens enough, it'll create a persistent buzz that could keep this comic in publication (in some form) for another century! Lennox and the other Zeseids are a great start.

Wonder Woman needs that, and she's never had it.

And for crying out loud, will the Wonder-editors quit giving away our super-villains and supporting characters?! Jeez! Doctor Cyber, I Ching, Warkiller, ..now, STEVE TREVOR - all gone! If these sorely neglected, underdeveloped characters can be rehabbed, why in Hades aren't they being rehabbed in Wonder Woman, for use in Wonder Woman!

What are they thinking?!

And don't be so sure that, once the Justice League creators turn Steve Trevor into D.C.'s answer to CABLE (one of the X-Men) - once, he becomes really cool - that editorial control of him will be returned to Wonder Woman! If I was publishing JLA, I sure as hell wouldn't give him back, since the WW team couldn't do anything with him, in the first place. Would you?
    Last edited by MelDyer; 01-31-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks to all - Mel, Slvn, Amazon Fan, Outside - for the insights into the names; interesting reading.

Honestly, I can't WAIT for the day, when truly dynamic characters, created exclusively for regular use in Wonder Woman, can pop-up in other comics and lure readers back to Wondy's book...

And for crying out loud, will the Wonder-editors quit giving away our super-villains and supporting characters?! Jeez! Doctor Cyber, I Ching, Warkiller, ..now, STEVE TREVOR - all gone! What are they thinking?!
    So you want WW characters to appear in other books, but you don't want them appearing in other books? ;)

I hated how Doom Patrol stole Veronica Cale and never gave her back. *grrr*
    Last edited by americanwonder; 01-31-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Thanks to all - Mel, Slvn, Amazon Fan, Outside - for the insights into the names; interesting reading.

So you want WW characters to appear in other books, but you don't want them appearing in other books? ;)

I hated how Doom Patrol stole Veronica Cale and never gave her back. *grrr*
    Well...I think they should actually *appear* in her book first ;)

Veteran Member

Now that Lennox, Constantine and Steve Trevor have all come up, I have to say that I'm eager to see Steve interact with Lennox, in the next run of Wonder Woman if not in this one. Steve has been a great ally/foil for Constantine--a G man uneasily working with a con man--and despite being different from Constantine in ways that Mel and I have mentioned, Lennox could have a similar and even more interesting dynamic with Steve. Steve and Lennox are both protective of (and potentially overshadowed by) Wonder Woman, but Steve is straight-laced and Lennox is rough-hewn; that could lead to some interesting conflicts and collaborations.

Now that Lennox, Constantine and Steve Trevor have all come up, I have to say that I'm eager to see Steve interact with Lennox, in the next run of Wonder Woman if not in this one. Steve has been a great ally/foil for Constantine--a G man uneasily working with a con man--and despite being different from Constantine in ways that Mel and I have mentioned, Lennox could have a similar and even more interesting dynamic with Steve. Steve and Lennox are both protective of (and potentially overshadowed by) Wonder Woman, but Steve is straight-laced and Lennox is rough-hewn; that could lead to some interesting conflicts and collaborations.

I don't know if I could deal with the fact that they both look almost identical.