Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Face Off on Syfy

Can't find a thread for this show. It's the only Syfy reality series that I can stand. I'm a huge fan a practical makeup effects and am looking forward to this season. I rarely ever watch reality style TV but this one I like. Does anyone else watch this show?

I was kind of disappointed at last seasons finale were they chose to let the fans vote for a winner. Don't get me wrong I think that girl who earned her way back onto the show is a talented artist and she worked her ass off to win. But I'm more interested in knowing who people like Ve Neill or Glenn Hetrick would have picked. It seems like they wanted to turn the competition into something more like American Idol or Dancing with the Stars or whatever other usual reality trash is out there.

The Goblin King challenge in this season opener was pretty cool and there were some interesting designs. More so I'm looking forward to the second episode where the contestants designs a DC comics superhero!
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Yep , love this series.

That guy , anthony set himself as the marker to beat this season. Seemed like a very creative guy. The black dude deserved to go , he was awful in the foundation challenge and the volcanic goblin king design he did with wolverine's brother was terrible.

Ya his face sculpt wasn't very good and his teams' overall design was awful. Ve Neill had it right when she called the crown a clown hat or a dunce cap (I can't remember which). I'm excited about this next episode with the DC superhero design. I wonder if it will be used in RL the way last season the Star Wars design winner was used on the Clone Wars web site.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

As mentioned in the press release , the winning creation will be featured in justice league dark #16.

Burbank, Calif. – January 16, 2013 – Syfy’s most popular unscripted series, Face Off, will have an infusion of super powers in the form of DC Entertainment’s Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee, along with six of DC’s most respected artists. In the hit competition show’s new episode airing Tuesday, January 22at 9 p.m. ET/PT, a group of special effects make-up artists will be challenged to create their own Super Heroes.

Filmed in the midst of San Diego Comic-Con 2012, each contestant was paired with a DC Entertainment artist to receive creative input and assistance with their designs. An outstanding array of talent participated in the process including Jim Lee, Mark Buckingham (FABLES), Cliff Chiang (WONDER WOMAN), Tony S. Daniel (ACTION COMICS), David Finch (BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT), Nicola Scott (EARTH 2) and J.H. Williams, III (BATWOMAN).

In the Super Hero episode of Face Off, not only will the contestants battle to continue on in the competition, but the winning design will also be featured in the January 30th release of JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #16, giving the winner a chance to have their work exposed to a broad DC Entertainment audience.

They are so lucky to work with all those DC artists! I love the cyberpunk girl sketch that Tony Daniels did, probably the strongest during the sketch phase. I also like the plague doctor sketch but I found most of their final looks to be pretty underwhelming if not awful (wasn't surprised he lost). I liked the face sculpt on the lava dude though. It looked like his head was breaking open, very cool paint job. I wish he wouldn't of quit trying to open his chest/back mold. Dick Gritty should have won IMO, it had the better concept and sculpt. Looking forward to the Demon Challenge next week.

Between the 3 top picks , the only logical superheroic looking one is that lava guy. Robot girl looks like it is a sequel to japanese movie machine girl and that trenchcoat freak looks better off in darkman.

Some of those so-called superheroes are more like supervillains. Like the first episode , Wolverine's brother also deserved to go , his concept was utter crap (what kind of superhero has a tagline of bringer of plague ?!) and his character looked awful. He should have been better off wearing a x-men costume , pop some claws and go beserker on the judges. He's Wolverine's retarded brother after all with that sideburns and wolverine haircut.

Last season was... weird. Can't believe I've already forgotten the names, but they were scraping for a reason to get rid of Cowboy Hat, who seemed like a lock to win until they started bitching about his maybekindasorta emphasis on fabrication. Blonde Girl was consistently either the best or right there, but she lost her edge on the final challenge, and was clearly beaten in the finale. Couldn't say how much that factored in to who won, but Purple Hair was the best at the end, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    They are so lucky to work with all those DC artists! I love the cyberpunk girl sketch that Tony Daniels did, probably the strongest during the sketch phase. I also like the plague doctor sketch but I found most of their final looks to be pretty underwhelming if not awful (wasn't surprised he lost). I liked the face sculpt on the lava dude though. It looked like his head was breaking open, very cool paint job. I wish he wouldn't of quit trying to open his chest/back mold. Dick Gritty should have won IMO, it had the better concept and sculpt. Looking forward to the Demon Challenge next week.
    Was the guy with the beard J.H. Williams III? I must have blinked and missed the caption with his name.

Holy crap did the bulk of the cast utterly drop the ball on the first solo challenge. Sooo many that weren't finished by the time for the reveal.

And has has been stated, Robot Girl was a better fit for a Japanese horror movie. I think Dick Gritty should have won too, as their are plenty of noir superheroes. Can't say I liked the lava guy (Core?) anywhere near as much as the judges though.

There isn't really a lot of noir superheroes in DC and the guy doesn't looked like a superhero , looked more like a freakshow villain.

I definitely agree that lava dude fit the archetypical DC superhero mold best, however I still liked Dick Gritty better. I thought the sculpt and design were overall better. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that I knew lava dude's chest mold was incomplete which the judges probably didn't. Then again it might not have even influenced their overall opinion.

As for the demon challenge this may be one of my favorite challenges this season. There was so much squandered potential with the overall concepts. I wish the final looks were better. There were some interesting sketches but I don't think they all transferred well into sculpts. I like the idea of the snake hand dude but think the final look failed. Honestly I was surprised that team ended up being safe. For the most part the overall paint jobs sucked. I'm wondering if its because there are not as many strong painters on the show this season or because the contestants are not allocating enough time to do better paint jobs.

Not a huge fan of the one with three foot horns but the body sculpt was good and adding the animatronics was ambitious (even thought they didn't work). The best by far was the Hindu demon goddess. The clear winner IMO, a strong paint job and a gorgeous sculpt. They were leagues above the other teams. That Anthony dude who has won four consecutive challenges is definitely the leader of the pack and a strong contender for the season finale's top three.

"Punches you in the face with how bad it sucks!" Wow, Glenn Hetrick pulls no punches with his critiques. Brutal honesty is good though, it will help them grow as artists.

Looking forward to the candy monster challenge next week should be interesting.

"Punches you in the face with how bad it sucks!" Wow, Glenn Hetrick pulls no punches with his critiques. Brutal honesty is good though, it will help them grow as artists.
    Except he didn't say that to the artists. He said that as the judges made their decisions in private. But he is also brutally honest with the critiques in front of the artists. Just usually not THAT brutal. Glenn and V are my definite favorite judges on the show. And at this point the competition is Anthony's to lose. The guy is just consistently better than the others.

Anthony is looking certainly the strongest out there , he has a very good creative mind and his sculpting is very clean. The other guy that has been doing well is veteran Eric F , he's fast , knows what he's doing and put a lot of work into his design. Shame that his electronic eye blink did not work. You get the feeling that he has done a lot of work doing low budget indie Z-horror movies with fake blood and gore.
    Compare that to Anthony. Reading his bio , Anthony actually interned and worked under Stan Winston and was involved in Avatar and Indiana Jones 4 , it's no wonder his work is a bit above everyone else's. That kind of experience would certainly help anyone.

Top 2 looks

Last week superhero winner - "the infernal core" as how he would appear in the comic. Looks awful tbh
    Last edited by marshal99; 01-30-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Last week superhero winner - "the infernal core" as how he would appear in the comic. Looks awful tbh
    Looks like hes wearing a trash bag.

Looks like hes wearing a trash bag.
    Well , the design does looked like he's wearing a trash bag.

I like the idea of doing a bearded lady challenge. It's not something that has been done before on the show. At first I couldn't tell if the bearded guy was wearing a fake beard or if he was just a hipster d-bag.

How cool it must have been to walk into the lab that looked like something outa Willy Wonka. There were some pretty strong concepts during the sketch design phase. My favorite sketch is the sugar rock candy troll. The ginger bread house hunch back was pretty genius as well. The strongest sculpt and my fav is the one with the licorice dread locks and candy corn scales. The monster mouth in the belly was also an interesting concept and looked like it walked straight off a Troma movie set. The candy princess was a very strong sculpt as well. I'm surprised more people went for grotesque and disturbing makeups during a candy challenge.

A lot of the makeup artists are very used to horror makeups and couldn't really adapt to anything else. Eric F is one prime example , the guy should be working for asylum since they make trashy knockoff movies , his candy creature is just gross. At least Anthony did not win this round.

Top 3 looks