Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Tilting at Windmills - May 17, 2013

Brian Hibbs examines the miniseries and why exactly he hates it as a retailer, as well as why it makes more sense to put his faith in ordering ongoing titles with backlist potential.

Full article here.

Minis are stupid. Why would I buy something that designed to be finite month-to-month when I could have it in a collected edition, the ideal format for a finite story?

One other thing that I forgot to mention in the piece is that "A series of mini-series" is the WORST OF ALL POSSIBLE WORLDS.

See, what happens with POS systems is that they track "series" by an internal number assigned by Diamond called a series code. However, each mini-series RESETS that series code, making it more difficult to track subscription orders, or to see changes in the series over time, etc. Things like, say, BPRD, which was producing at least 12 issues a year, but renumbering them every few months, didn't show any native relationship to one another when looked up... unless the retailer took extra time and effort to "marry" (and edit!) the various series.

I know that for myself, a lot of time when I'm rushing to get the order form done in time, I'll just "lowball" the next series rather than ordering precisely perfectly in the way that I would with an ongoing book. And why wouldn't I? It is "just a mini-series"!

-B

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

So you're saying that the current DC method of launching almost everything as an "ongoing" and then cutting it short if sales drop is actually better for both them and the market than a mini would be.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    So you're saying that the current DC method of launching almost everything as an "ongoing" and then cutting it short if sales drop is actually better for both them and the market than a mini would be.
    I was just gonna ask the same thing. After reading this article, it actually makes a little more sense why Marvel does things the way they do, what with canceling so many "ongoings" after 5 or 6 issues.

Chris Juricich

Default I like big minis--and I cannot lie...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Minis are stupid. Why would I buy something that designed to be finite month-to-month when I could have it in a collected edition, the ideal format for a finite story?
    I generally like mini-series for the simple reason that, were I a collector (I'm not, I'm simply a reader), you get a complete story with 'closure' as they say, and it usually stands alone and on its own merits. Its the exact opposite of a crossover series that presses you to buy all the crap that comes with it. It's done, it's complete. Moreover, its also an opportunity for creators to stretch their legs a bit, be creative and in some cases take some risks that 'might' flaunt canon (imaginary tales, etc.).

I like 'em...but I see Brian's point--they're a bitch to order properly for.