Page 5 of 480 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Absolutely not. If their current direction proves not to connect with audiences, they need to go back to the drawing board, not throw good money after bad.

It's like when, prior to GL's release, some people were saying that GL should be a trilogy. What a disaster that would have been for WB, if they had filmed multiple GL bombs back to back or something before realizing people didn't want to see them. It would have been a calamity of biblical proportions for the studio.

They are perfectly justified in wanting to see how people react to MoS before moving forward with anything else.
    I think that if they have a good script and people who are working on the movie with a clear vision, it would succeed regardless of how well Man of Steel does. GL failed because the script was bad and the reviews even worse. If a movie with the most recognizable characters in comics is made and receives good reviews on top of that, I'm sure it will be a hit. It seems arbitrary to wait for Man of Steel but it shows a lack of faith in one of these properties. If they need to wait to see how people react to MoS to see whether to incorporate it into the JL movie universe, then it says that they don't have faith in MoS. Conversely, if they are willing to change aspects of JL to fit reactions to MoS, then it shows a lack of faith in the JL concept.

BANNED

Gangster Squad kind of flopped, so I'm sure they're more hesitant about Will Beal's script now.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeswithparc View Post
    I think that if they have a good script and people who are working on the movie with a clear vision, it would succeed
    Just a heads up, but that is kind of always the goal with every movie. Green Lantern included. It just doesn't always turn out that way.

Just a heads up, but that is kind of always the goal with every movie. Green Lantern included. It just doesn't always turn out that way.
    This is true to a degree, but there are ways to ensure that the script is at least objectively competent at telling a story even if that story isn't all that interesting, which is completely subjective. I loved the Avengers story probably more than the average person but I think most everyone can agree that the storytelling is competent enough to avoid getting negative criticisms while not being so excellent to deserve awards. As evidenced by this whole JL movie situation, the goal of every movie is not to have a good script; the goal of the script for the JL movie is to appeal to the most amount of people possible. If it was to tell a good story, they wouldn't need to wait to see how any other movie does to influence it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeswithparc View Post
    This is true to a degree, but there are ways to ensure that the script is at least objectively competent at telling a story even if that story isn't all that interesting, which is completely subjective. I loved the Avengers story probably more than the average person but I think most everyone can agree that the storytelling is competent enough to avoid getting negative criticisms while not being so excellent to deserve awards. As evidenced by this whole JL movie situation, the goal of every movie is not to have a good script; the goal of the script for the JL movie is to appeal to the most amount of people possible. If it was to tell a good story, they wouldn't need to wait to see how any other movie does to influence it.
    I think you are missing the point that if MoS bombs, a JL movie with that Superman in it is going to be severely handicapped right out of the gate. Remember that at one point, the Superman Returns character was planned to be part of the eventual JL movie. Regardless of whatever feelings you might have about Superman Returns, I think most of us can agree that would have ended up being a bad move for the studio.

Likewise, a Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern would hurt a JL movie's performance just by being in it. If people look at a character/actor combo and immediately think, "failure," how do you think another movie featuring the same actor as the same character is going to fare? I don't see how anyone can blame WB for being gun shy.

BANNED

This is kind of old, but apparently Michael Shannon says Zack Snyder is the new Martin Scorsese
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...er-to-scorsese

He worked with Scorsese on the Boardwalk Empire pilot too.

I think you are missing the point that if MoS bombs, a JL movie with that Superman in it is going to be severely handicapped right out of the gate. Remember that at one point, the Superman Returns character was planned to be part of the eventual JL movie. Regardless of whatever feelings you might have about Superman Returns, I think most of us can agree that would have ended up being a bad move for the studio.

Likewise, a Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern would hurt a JL movie's performance just by being in it. If people look at a character/actor combo and immediately think, "failure," how do you think another movie featuring the same actor as the same character is going to fare? I don't see how anyone can blame WB for being gun shy.
    I actually agree 100% on this. I was mostly just saying that they should have more faith in their writers. I can't fault them for wanting to wait, in fact I want them to because I don't like the way Man of Steel is turning out, but I think that if they are worried more about audiences' reactions than they are about what their writers are doing, it would be more of a detriment to the story.

EDIT: I should say that I was assuming that the problems people would have with the Man of Steel movie would be purely subjective and not be so damaging, as the GL movie was, to the whole movie mythology.
    Last edited by rhymeswithparc; 01-29-2013 at 12:33 AM.

stk is right I think, not to mention that while Avengers was very good on it's own merits, Captain America, Hulk, Thor and Iron Man had all had movies whose reception had been at the very worst 'alright' and some of them much better than that, albeit Hulk switched actors. The point was that people knew and liked these characters off the bat. If MOS does bomb (which I doubt, but its possible) then Superman, the single most recognisable and well known superhero of all time, will in fact turn people OFF a Justice League movie, same as Ryan Reybold GL would make people wary.

GL failed for a number of reasons; no chemistry between Hal and his love interest. The script obviously, also the pacing of the movie was off. But the biggest problem was many of the cast. I remember when the trailer came out people were like no the effects arent finished, the movie will be so awesome. There was talk about how this movie was going to be great like Star Wars. Then the movie came out and sure some people liked it, but many critics and audiences hated it and it got savaged. I think WB lost confidence despite saying they might procede with the sequel. As usual, they fall back onto Batman and Superman. Whether MOS performs well or not should be irrelevant to a JL movie. They dont need to use the same approach nor the same actor from MOS. It just sounds like they have no idea what they are doing and are playing it extemely cautiously and even if MOS approach does work, there are no guarantees it would work with a JL movie. Because obviously its more than just one superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    GL failed for a number of reasons; no chemistry between Hal and his love interest.
    Aren't they married now...?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by the Sun God View Post
    There is definitely a Nolan feel to the movie

What do you think?
    This has always been my greatest fear. I just can't picture Superman done well with a Nolan feel to the movie. I loved the first 2 Dark Knight flicks, thought the third was OK but too long, and am absolutely certain that, for me, they are entirely the wrong "feel" for Superman.

This statement bothers me more than the idiotic new costume, made worse by incorporating spoilers:
    nanotech
    end of spoilers.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 02-02-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

The Nolan influence is evident in MOS from what we have seen and heard. Will it work? I have my doubts. After all, who wants to watch a brooding CK travel the world trying to find himself? Didnt we just do that in the Nolan Batman movies?

A huge 30 foot image of Cavill as Superman in handcuffs from MOS is now hanging up at the Warner Bros lot.

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    A huge 30 foot image of Cavill as Superman in handcuffs from MOS is now hanging up at the Warner Bros lot.
    This one:

Yep thats the one. Here's another view of it from Walter Doty