Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default DC Comics on Kindle?

I can't afford an iPad right now, and I use Amazon frequently, so I was thinking about buying a Kindle instead to read my comics digitally. Can anyone answer if Comixology is the same on the iPad and Kindle?

Pretty much, except the Comixology app on the Kindle Fire does not include the DC comis issue for some reason. If you wanted, you could buy the DC Comics issue on the online store, and then download them to your Kindle FIre app, but you can't buy them right from the app. Graphic Novels and single issues are also sold now right in the Kindle store, as another option.
    Day and Date: Green Lantern/Green Lantern: New Guardians/ Red Lanterns

Wait a Month: Green Lantern Corps

Like Zorkel said, everything is the same except you'll need to buy your DC comics on the Comixology website instead of buying them in the app store.

Despite that, I'd still recommend waiting and saving up your money until you can afford an iPad or 10" Android tablet (I use the Samsung Galaxy Tab). The Kindle Fire is only a 7" screen, which will make it harder to fit a whole comic page on the screen at once. You'll be reading the comic one panel at a time, which is not ideal.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkditty View Post
    Like Zorkel said, everything is the same except you'll need to buy your DC comics on the Comixology website instead of buying them in the app store.

Despite that, I'd still recommend waiting and saving up your money until you can afford an iPad or 10" Android tablet (I use the Samsung Galaxy Tab). The Kindle Fire is only a 7" screen, which will make it harder to fit a whole comic page on the screen at once. You'll be reading the comic one panel at a time, which is not ideal.
    i would agree with this. i have a nexus 7 that i use for digital comics - its great, but JUST too small. (ipad mini or bigger would be a better size) that being said its not unreadable or anything, the only thing thats annoying is smaller print is hard to read. an 8" or bigger tablet would be perfect.
    Batman, Batman/Superman, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, X-men

The Kindle 8.9 would do the trick then. I have one and it's a good size. Not as pricey as the iPad and big enough to read on pretty clearly. So I say check out the 8.9. Sounds like the solution to your problems.

I agree about the Kindle 8.9. The price was better than ipad, and the comics look pretty good.

It is annoying to not have the dc app or dc compatibility in comics app. But the web browser works fine.

If you buy comics from an LCS storefront, you'll have to use another computer. New kindle does not support flash.

I agree with both LegoLawyer and manduck 37, the Kindle Fire 8.9" is really good for reading comics. The screen is great and the quality is good.
    Day and Date: Green Lantern/Green Lantern: New Guardians/ Red Lanterns

Wait a Month: Green Lantern Corps

BANNED

Kindle Fire 8.9 sounds like what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Man, I'm behind the times. I didn't know there was an 8.9" Kindle out. Hope it works out for you.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

I actually have the Kindle and an IPad, use the Kindle for ordinary books and the IPad for Comic stuff... Though it is a bit heavy to take when I'm out

I use the Kindle and aside from the wretched inability to buy DC comics on it's app it's a good lower cost choice. I got my wife the 7" HD model but it seems the android devices don't get the higher resolution downloads that the iPad gets. Because of the 7" size I don't do the full page thing on it unless I just want to see a full page/2 page spread. I'm a huge fan of the panel view, anyway, though, and even like occasionally reading on my old 3rd gen ipod touch that way. Portability is key, there. I still get some paper comics/trades via DCBS and you get a 5% credit if you use their flash driven store for purchasing digital comics toward your mail orders, so I use the PC to buy my digital downloads (flash works on old kindle but it's difficult) so I can get credits on my mail orders.
    Did Wonder Woman and Superman just catch an aircraft carrier?

I agree with many of the points outlined here... sometimes a hassle with DC Comics on the Kindle. Everything you bought on other platforms will sync to comiXology on the Kindle, but the Store will make no mention of DC, Batman, etc. The back-up for this is exactly what LegoLawyer pointed out - using the browser on the Kindle or buying DC on another platform. I cover this more on my ComiXology review for Kindle. Another way to get your DC fix on the Kindle is through the Kindle Store, where DC now releases day and date issues, just as comiXology does on other platforms. The Kindle Fire HD family has been impressive and I think many loyal Amazon customers and comic fans are going through the same decision process.

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comicbookreaderguide View Post
    I agree with many of the points outlined here... sometimes a hassle with DC Comics on the Kindle. Everything you bought on other platforms will sync to comiXology on the Kindle, but the Store will make no mention of DC, Batman, etc. The back-up for this is exactly what LegoLawyer pointed out - using the browser on the Kindle or buying DC on another platform. I cover this more on my ComiXology review for Kindle. Another way to get your DC fix on the Kindle is through the Kindle Store, where DC now releases day and date issues, just as comiXology does on other platforms. The Kindle Fire HD family has been impressive and I think many loyal Amazon customers and comic fans are going through the same decision process.
    The downloads direct from the Kindle store don't allow you to turn the device for the long view spreads. For most titles this is only a problem when there is a splash page, but for something like "Injustice Gods Among Us" that was designed to be read in widescreen digital format it sucks. I don't know why I can't turn comics when I can turn every other title I've bought from Amazon, but it just isn't supported.

So the best option is to purchase at Comixology online then go through the steps to download it to your Kindle. Why DC won't let Comixology sell on their app with Kindle? You can with their iPad app, and their Android app, but I'm guessing Amazon doesn't want us buying from another source.

Salacious Propriety Tandaemonium's Avatar

Kindles are run an Amazon-altered version of Android, same as all the other manufacturers: Samsung, HTC, Nexus, etc.

All you need to do is root (Google/Android version of iOS's jailbreaking) and reinstall the latest unaltered Android directly from Google. It's always superior to whatever the manufacturers do to Android to brand it to themselves. Basically each manufacturer doesn't just rebrand when they get whatever Android version from Google. They also turn OFF many things or remove things that everyone has the right to. They control consumers' choices by threatening that this voids the warranty. Nonetheless, rooting is completely legal and fine, as is jail-breaking...but Android is open-source. Google intended for it to always be free...and all the manufacturers acquire them for free just like anyone can.

Once you've rooted (Cyanogenmod is a popular flavor), you can install Comixology and whatever apps you want...you can even install the Kindle app if your tablet is a Kindle, so you won't be losing any functionality at all. No one will lose any functionality if they root their Android phone/tablet...only GAIN.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandaemonium View Post
    Kindles are run an Amazon-altered version of Android, same as all the other manufacturers: Samsung, HTC, Nexus, etc.

All you need to do is root (Google/Android version of iOS's jailbreaking) and reinstall the latest unaltered Android directly from Google. It's always superior to whatever the manufacturers do to Android to brand it to themselves. Basically each manufacturer doesn't just rebrand when they get whatever Android version from Google. They also turn OFF many things or remove things that everyone has the right to. They control consumers' choices by threatening that this voids the warranty. Nonetheless, rooting is completely legal and fine, as is jail-breaking...but Android is open-source. Google intended for it to always be free...and all the manufacturers acquire them for free just like anyone can.

Once you've rooted (Cyanogenmod is a popular flavor), you can install Comixology and whatever apps you want...you can even install the Kindle app if your tablet is a Kindle, so you won't be losing any functionality at all. No one will lose any functionality if they root their Android phone/tablet...only GAIN.

Good luck.
    Sorry I misunderstood the page I was reading.
    Last edited by Jadenewt; 02-15-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!