Default Musing: Orion and Artemis

With Orion featuring in this current story arc in Wonder Woman, I wondered if Azzarello might put a twist on the classic myth between Orion and Artemis.

Greek myth Orion is linked by love and death with Artemis, as well as Apollo (and Helios). Nu Orion has apparently visited Earth a time or two, so perhaps there can be a modern Nu-myth around these two characters.

Orion's (possible) friendliness or (possible) romantic interest in Wonder Woman might further irk Artemis, leading to round 2 between the goddess-sisters.

At least, that's how it plays out in the comic I'm writing in my head.

jBn

Veteran Member

To be honest, I think taking the parallel that far might be a bit forced: there are cases in which Kirby gave his characters mythological names for specific reasons: Thena in the Eternals, for example, is very close in every way - name, persona, symbolism - to the Greek goddess Pallas Athena; in fact, much closer than any other Marvel or DC version of the latter I've seen. But Orion in Greek myth is such a shadowy figure that I suspect that Kirby just liked the sound of the name. There's some play with the idea of "Orion the Hunter", as Kirby's Orion hunts Darkseid's Apokoliptan agents on earth, but I don't see much beyond that. Could be that I'm just missing something obvious, of course.

I don't think Orion is capable of romantic love, and it would seem goofy to try and tie a direct parallel between the Greek Gods and the New God,s as that is explicitly NOT what Kirby intended. The Greek gods are version 3, the New Gods are version 4. He might have some aspects of the Greek God, but Orion the new God and Orion the greek are not the same person.
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

BANNED

I had a sneaking feeling Azz would try to fit this Orion with the constellation figure, and I hope to hell that doesn't happen. They don't have anything in common besides name.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    I don't think Orion is capable of romantic love, and it would seem goofy to try and tie a direct parallel between the Greek Gods and the New God,s as that is explicitly NOT what Kirby intended. The Greek gods are version 3, the New Gods are version 4. He might have some aspects of the Greek God, but Orion the new God and Orion the greek are not the same person.
    Orion was married in before the new 52

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Orion was married in before the new 52
    What? Really? To who?
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    What? Really? To who?
    Bekka,but your point still stands,she had an affair with Batman but Orion couldn't care less.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Bekka,but your point still stands,she had an affair with Batman but Orion couldn't care less.
    what? When did she Kiss bruce?

BANNED

It was a horrible arc from Superman/Batman that's better off ignored.

I see where you're coming from and I can understand your reservations.

Whether Kirby intended to or not, the premise of Nu 52 is to open it all up to possibilities of story-telling. The various indicators in Justice League and Earth-2 seem to indicate that the New Gods are the constant (or one of) in the Nu-multiverse. There's no reason that Orion could not have been involved in/with the Greek gods in this new timeline.

Anyways, it was just a musing and nothing more than that. :)

Orion having history in mythology certainly seems interesting, though on the other hand there's still very little given about most of the fourth world's involvement in the New 52. It's all kinda under wraps in a way, little bit of this with JLA, little bit of that (was) with OMAC, I'm worried that DC might stumble all over with it (though it all certainly bears some merit and query). However, I'm quite liking Azzarello's characterization of everyone's favorite dog of war so far. Having him be involved as an outside context to WW's current plotline would be pretty cool.