Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Soule Gets Bogged Down in "Swamp Thing"

Charles Soule, creator of Image Comics' "27," sets out for the marshlands as the new writer of "Swamp Thing" for DC Comics. CBR News spoke with him about his plans to dig deep into the heart of the character.

Full article here.

Hmmm. I don't know. We'll see how this goes. It always bothers me when the original Wein/Wrightson stories are not even mentioned. Moore's work on the character is great, of course, but he did not create the character. I'm sure Mr. Soule knows that, but the fact that no reference is made to history prior to Moore is troubling.

Those old stories may be dated, in some ways, but Wrightson's work is seminal and those comics were groundbreaking with regard to genre cross-pollination. Don't forget the character's "roots" (pun intended).

BANNED

I think I'll get this book for two things - the shorter arcs and the idea of putting him in different settings. The latter bit is something I enjoyed in Moore's run. But I don't know what to expect beyond that, honestly. Might have to read 27 for a better idea.

I don't know, I really dislike the New 52 status quo for Swamp Thing Snyder set-up. Because of that, I might not be able to enjoy this run even if it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Halteman View Post
    Hmmm. I don't know. We'll see how this goes. It always bothers me when the original Wein/Wrightson stories are not even mentioned. Moore's work on the character is great, of course, but he did not create the character. I'm sure Mr. Soule knows that, but the fact that no reference is made to history prior to Moore is troubling.

Those old stories may be dated, in some ways, but Wrightson's work is seminal and those comics were groundbreaking with regard to genre cross-pollination. Don't forget the character's "roots" (pun intended).
    I think the reason no one mentions the Len Wein stories is because no one cares about them. Before Moore, the book was about to be cancelled, and he had to basically retcon everything about those books out of existence to get a solid readership going. Wein has done great work in the past, but Swamp Thing was never really memorable under his pen.

Think of it like the Stan and Jack Kirby run of the X-men. No one really remembers it, or cares about it, under their direction. It wasn't until new teams picked the book up that it actually had an impact

BANNED

Moore didn't retcon those stories out of existence. In fact, he managed a way to work the very original Swamp Thing that even Wein and co. ditched into the whole canon.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

What Holmes said; hell, he added those stories to the history of Swampy in a clever way.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Why does this remind me of Marty Pasko all over again.

BANNED

Maybe because Snyder gave us Len Wein all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBarbarian View Post
    Why does this remind me of Marty Pasko all over again.
    I actually would like to know -- why? Nothing in that bit makes me think Pasko.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

All I need to know is Rotworld is over, and I'm happy. For the love of all nine realms, what a way to derail two interesting characters.

I like when people acknowledge the "awesome" runs a character has, then name practically every writer who touched him.

Coming from a guy who did not like BKV's run at all, and Snyder's since the fourth or fifth issue.

EPICCCC

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    All I need to know is Rotworld is over, and I'm happy. For the love of all nine realms, what a way to derail two interesting characters.
    qft. pretty much my exact sentiments. Actually looking forward to this Soule takeover now.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

Can't say I'm gonna miss Snyder after Rotworld.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Soule plans to develop a large, overarching story during his run on "Swamp Thing,"... I think Pasko's goal was very similar. However, Pasko's storyline got pretty 'bogged down' by the end. I actually lauged out loud when I read Loose Ends in issue 19. Moore didn't only tie up the loose ends, he blew them up.

I actually quit Swamp Thing in the middle of Rot World. It wasn't my cup of tea. I will probably pick up the new run with high hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Simply the desire to attribute failure where none exists.