Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Savage Wolverine, #1

"Savage Wolverine" #1 by Frank Cho is a great pulp Wolverine comic lost behind the eye-catching way Shanna the She-Devil takes over the page in ways not always flattering.

Full review here.

Overall I think that Savage Wolverine score is 4 out of 5 stars. The mention of Ka-Zar was nice. I think that it would have been nice if he was in the book also.
    The reviewer made to big a deal out of Shanna being the book. The book reads like it is a b-movie. They put 2 things in b-movies,violence and nudity. We already knew that Shanna was going to be half naked in the book. Wolverine Max has actual nudity in it and I have not seen any complaints about it. I do not think that every book should be made for every body.This one is targeted at the male readers. Saying this I am sure that there are female Wolverine fans.

I'm going to have to wait for this book to be collected into trades, as I'm || close to broke! Read the review and could see why someone might have a problem with it, but it won't affect me picking it up when it is collected.

And I bought the first issue of Wolverine MAX and I couldn't get past the art!
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    Wolverine Max has actual nudity in it and I have not seen any complaints about it.
    I haven't seen anybody talking about Wolverine Max

There was a Wolverine MAX series?

Ho hum. Might pick this up if the Shanna issue is noted as being a touch better in following issues. We'll see.

(Oh, and wasn't Paul Cornell supposed to be writing this? Or am I just going insane?)

Quote Originally Posted by Croakamancer View Post
    There was a Wolverine MAX series?

Ho hum. Might pick this up if the Shanna issue is noted as being a touch better in following issues. We'll see.

(Oh, and wasn't Paul Cornell supposed to be writing this? Or am I just going insane?)
    There IS a Wolverine MAX series.

Paul Cornell is writing adjectiveless Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Lindsay@CBR
    Let's just say, politely, that her anatomy is rendered incorrectly and could even be seen as body type offensive in places.
    I may have missed something in my read through (read a friend's copy)... But I seem to recall actually thinking: "Wow, this is pretty anatomically correct, and he isn't breaking her spine or anything. Even the surface anatomy of the serrator anterior is rendered." Obviously the breasts are large, but not out of scope with what comics usually gives us.

It was definitely a risque comic, but I feel like to saying it was both incorrect and "body type offensive" is something that Lindsay needs to back up with VERY SPECIFIC EXAMPLES. Otherwise he's basically levelling a hugely serious accusation at Cho without having the stones to back it up.

Personally, I'm not that fond of the group being chased around by dark-skinned natives, even if it's the trope and reasonable to the context. It didn't ruin the comic for me because I understand why it was done, and I like that Cho went out of his way to have Wolverine complement the native's warrior skills, but it is a creative decision that I disagree with.
    Primary pulls: X-Factor, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Force, FF, Archer and Armstrong

ShaunN

Actually, I think that the reviewer is way out to lunch on this. If there is one thing that Cho knows how to draw, it is anatomically correct females. Indeed, it's his specialty.

Now, there is also no question that Shanna is extremely voluptuous and there are reasons to find this offensive, but why would anyone buy a Cho book and not expect this? Essentially, what you get with Cho is a certain kind of very predictable jungle/fantasy story with a beautiful, superhumanly endowed, mostly-naked woman thrown in. There are elements in this story that already seem similar to his "Jungle Girl" series. (Cho also has a fascination with the Cthulhu mythos, I think).

Overall, the book was pretty much what I expected. Why knock Cho for doing what he does? His depiction of women is not much different from what you can find in a lot of "lad" magazine and muscle mags.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    Overall I think that Savage Wolverine score is 4 out of 5 stars. The mention of Ka-Zar was nice. I think that it would have been nice if he was in the book also.
    It was average. There were several situational logic bumps that should have and better be addressed still. Unless they plan to be continuity-free like the previous 2 Shanna minis - which would be a shame.
    The reviewer made to big a deal out of Shanna being the book. The book reads like it is a b-movie. They put 2 things in b-movies,violence and nudity. We already knew that Shanna was going to be half naked in the book.
    She is the reason, along with her assigned artist, for me trying the issue. Disappointingly she was only in 19 panels total and only a handful showed more than innocuous closeup of her as the subject matter. And most of the panels were so small when the She-Devil deserves bigger.
    Wolverine Max has actual nudity in it and I have not seen any complaints about it. I do not think that every book should be made for every body.This one is targeted at the male readers. Saying this I am sure that there are female Wolverine fans.
    So, when you say nudity in that Max, that would be of beautiful females predominantly? Or a glimplse of sideboob in one panel sort of thing?

CBR Reviewer Ryan Lindsay and I are essentially instep with this review. I'd go 3 o 5 stars and say our difference is I do feel Cho has a better grasp of anatomy than Ryan's opinion.

That said we agree about Shanna and her leather bikini. I noted in our users thread that given the 8 month gap why are the SHIELD agents still in full on jumpsuit. Once the air conditioned confines of their base and scout ship were out the heat should affect them like Shanna. Since the heat is the most logical reason to keep Shanna so scantily clad, as well as KaZar. I still think she could be minimally clad but update her look a bit, KaZar as well.

I feel the narrative in this issue fails on a few levels:
    1) the 8 month gap--out of contact with SHIELD central, KaZar, it's just too long
    2) zero explanation or a questioning of it from Shanna or Logan. Once he confirms hes not a rescue party(that he knows of) a general question of "how did you get here?", "what was the last thing you remember doing?" something. It could still be a mystery but acknowledge the WTF of it all from Logan's perspective by acknowledging the obvious.
    3) Logan can be dropped in(from SHIELD I'm guessing is the answer) from the upper atmosphere beyond the islands jamming but supplies can't?
    4) As fun as the pulpy concept for this is once you get off the island and Logan has served his purpose(rescue) there is ZERO reason for Logan to stick around unless the Savage Wolverine & Savage Land concepts are ONLY meant to be a happy coincidence for this first arc and he gets SAVAGE elsewhere in the MCU after this arc.

I'll read the next issue but the art alone isn't enough to keep me around. Better establish some answers.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    So, when you say nudity in that Max, that would be of beautiful females predominantly? Or a glimplse of sideboob in one panel sort of thing?
    In issue 3 of Wolverine Max Wolverine is in a strip club and the women are dancing in the nude. And there are close ups of the tits in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    I'm going to have to wait for this book to be collected into trades, as I'm || close to broke! Read the review and could see why someone might have a problem with it, but it won't affect me picking it up when it is collected.

And I bought the first issue of Wolverine MAX and I couldn't get past the art!
    Wolverine MAX has actually been quite good. I also had problems with the first issue, but the last two have really made it worth my time. It is an entirely new take on the character. The guy that did the flashback art, Connor Willumsen, isn't on the book any longer, and the new guy, Felix Ruiz, is a great replacement. I couldn't stand the flashbacks that Willumsen did.

ShaunN

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    CBR Reviewer Ryan Lindsay and I are essentially instep with this review. I'd go 3 o 5 stars and say our difference is I do feel Cho has a better grasp of anatomy than Ryan's opinion.

That said we agree about Shanna and her leather bikini. I noted in our users thread that given the 8 month gap why are the SHIELD agents still in full on jumpsuit. Once the air conditioned confines of their base and scout ship were out the heat should affect them like Shanna. Since the heat is the most logical reason to keep Shanna so scantily clad, as well as KaZar. I still think she could be minimally clad but update her look a bit, KaZar as well.

I feel the narrative in this issue fails on a few levels:
    1) the 8 month gap--out of contact with SHIELD central, KaZar, it's just too long
    2) zero explanation or a questioning of it from Shanna or Logan. Once he confirms hes not a rescue party(that he knows of) a general question of "how did you get here?", "what was the last thing you remember doing?" something. It could still be a mystery but acknowledge the WTF of it all from Logan's perspective by acknowledging the obvious.
    3) Logan can be dropped in(from SHIELD I'm guessing is the answer) from the upper atmosphere beyond the islands jamming but supplies can't?
    4) As fun as the pulpy concept for this is once you get off the island and Logan has served his purpose(rescue) there is ZERO reason for Logan to stick around unless the Savage Wolverine & Savage Land concepts are ONLY meant to be a happy coincidence for this first arc and he gets SAVAGE elsewhere in the MCU after this arc.

I'll read the next issue but the art alone isn't enough to keep me around. Better establish some answers.
    I agree with your point that eight months is too long. Kazar would have come looking by now, as would SHIELD. Even if they can't get in, they would still be in the area.

I'm not sure I can agree that SHIELD dropped Logan in. I suspect that he was picked up by something else altogether. If SHIELD was involved, why wouldn't they have told him? Why teleport him in (I didn't get the impression that they dropped him in - wasn't there a flash of light that the cavemen saw?)

Once they are off the island, the series will be over, so that's not a problem for Logan staying around. This is a miniseries, right?