View Poll Results: What did you think of Ultimate Iron Man #4?

Voters
21. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! A great final issue.

7 33.33%
  • Good. A solid end for the mini.

10 47.62%
  • Meh. Not bad, but it could have been worse.

3 14.29%
  • Bad. I'm not a fan of this story.

1 4.76%
  • Awful. Wish I didn't read it.

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Ultimate Iron Man #4 - Discussion/Spoilers

I thought it was a solid read.

The way it glossed over the nine rings really quickly was a little bit of a let down, but I liked the concept of them being metaphorical rings of control/layers within the organization. The concept was very modern and it felt like a natural fit for the Ultimate Universe, and the disposable chain of command contacted through a set of coins passed out to the members was really cool in a pulp hero kind of way which is really fun for an evil corporation.

All in all this felt like a concept created to set up an ongoing book rather than the focus for a mini series, I don't know if there's any truth to that feeling but I know I'd buy an Ultimate Ironman ongoing.

I would like an Iron Man ongoing too. I loved the take on the Mandarin, it felt so Ultimate in a way that it hasn't feel in a long time, I mean, it's been a long time since I've feel that they have made a truly cool and modern version of a Marvel character. Great read, hopefully the hardcover is released soon. Anybody knows if the writer will make more Ultimate work? I know I would love to read more minis from him.

BANNED

I agree with all of the above. This series has been a solid read and has felt exactly how the Ultimates should be like now; it's felt Ultimately mature like it was in the good ol' days. IMO the UU desperately needs an ongoing solo series that isn't just Ultimate Spider-Man. Another character should get the solo treatment in the UU and Tony Stark would be perfect for that. The Ultimates has too many plot threads, unresolved details and a very large amount of character development to deal with and giving Tony his own series might lighten the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    I agree with all of the above. This series has been a solid read and has felt exactly how the Ultimates should be like now; it's felt Ultimately mature like it was in the good ol' days. IMO the UU desperately needs an ongoing solo series that isn't just Ultimate Spider-Man. Another character should get the solo treatment in the UU and Tony Stark would be perfect for that. The Ultimates has too many plot threads, unresolved details and a very large amount of character development to deal with and giving Tony his own series might lighten the load.
    I think that The Ultimates should be just a mini from time to time, and we should have a solo character title, like Iron Man. The Ultimates worked best because it was self contained and a mini, I mean, look at the movies, they'll team up when they'll need to, but they have solo adventures too. Or maybe just a collection of minis, first Iron Man, then Thor, Cap, I don't know.

Agreed with you guys, the ultimization of the ten rings was very clever, felt very Ultimate. Good on you Edmondson!

One thing I'm not entirely sure about though- spoilers:
    the man with white hair in the last panel...is that supposed to be Stark Sr.
    end of spoilers ??

(spoiler tags not working for me )
    Last edited by Fizicks; 01-17-2013 at 03:08 AM.
    Bring back Ultimate Doctor Doom

Quote Originally Posted by Fizicks View Post
    Agreed with you guys, the ultimization of the ten rings was very clever, felt very Ultimate. Good on you Edmondson!

One thing I'm not entirely sure about though- (highlight following) --> the man with white hair in the last panel...is that supposed to be Stark Sr. ??

I don't think so, I think that was the Mandarin contacting the next captain of business to move up to the next ring and replace the twins.

I liked the issue, and the mini as a whole, but I've had a hard time getting really excited about this story. It's been a decent exploration into some of Stark's past, but I wish the story had been bigger. The best thing about the issue for me was that the story clearly isn't done. I'm glad that this isn't left as a standalone book, because that would leave me feeling a little bland on the whole thing. But this is clearly a set up for either a sequel or a future Ultimates arc, so that's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizicks View Post

One thing I'm not entirely sure about though- spoilers:
    the man with white hair in the last panel...is that supposed to be Stark Sr.
    end of spoilers ??

That was the first thought I had, but it's rather ambiguous. It remains my theory for now.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    I liked the issue, and the mini as a whole, but I've had a hard time getting really excited about this story. It's been a decent exploration into some of Stark's past, but I wish the story had been bigger. The best thing about the issue for me was that the story clearly isn't done. I'm glad that this isn't left as a standalone book, because that would leave me feeling a little bland on the whole thing. But this is clearly a set up for either a sequel or a future Ultimates arc, so that's pretty cool.

That was the first thought I had, but it's rather ambiguous. It remains my theory for now.
    It was rather small, it felt like the opening arc to a much larger story and it's that I'd be really interested to see move forward; either through an ongoing Iron Man book or as you said a story in the Ultimates. I'd prefer the earlier though, the Ultimates seems kind of busy at the moment so the Mandarin story wouldn't be likely to happen there anytime real soon.

Is Tony Stark Sr. still alive? I was under the impression he was dead but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It was rather small, it felt like the opening arc to a much larger story and it's that I'd be really interested to see move forward; either through an ongoing Iron Man book or as you said a story in the Ultimates. I'd prefer the earlier though, the Ultimates seems kind of busy at the moment so the Mandarin story wouldn't be likely to happen there anytime real soon.

Is Tony Stark Sr. still alive? I was under the impression he was dead but perhaps I'm mistaken.
    He's dead, but that could always be "perceived dead." The same thing happened with his grandfather in Ultimate Armor Wars.

I suppose so, though I still think I'd rather it be a random fat cat than a relation of Tony's.

I suppose so, though I still think I'd rather it be a random fat cat than a relation of Tony's.
    I rather think that too, I want the Mandarin to be an eternal threath, and having a line of powerful people waiting for their chance sounds great.

I agree, I feel like the once-dead-father-is-actually-not-dead-but-is-in-fact-now-the-bad-guy is too obvious. But I still get the feeling that it's Howard Stark. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

I hope we do, and hopefully in the form of another mini or an ongoing.

I liked this series quite a bit, but I felt they packed too much in to 4 issues. I want to know more about the 9 rings, I want to know who that old dude at the end is, I want to know why they can control Tony's suit but not Rhodey's and there are a few more questions I had but can't grasp right now. I loved the characters in the book, Tony was right on point and while Rhodey has a mixed bag of history in the UU, I liked how he was written here. The one character I didn't care for was Tony's dad, the overbearing father/son trying to make him proud this has been done, I preferred the original take where Howard was an extremely loving parent. I think if we had 1 or 2 more issues I could've given the series a "great" rating, but it left me wanting too much still so I gave it a "good" rating. I truly hope we see more of Edmonson in the UU though.

Edit: Forgot to say how much I loved the ad for Ultimate Comics: Wolverine in the back of the book!!
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

I don't think so, I think that was the Mandarin contacting the next captain of business to move up to the next ring and replace the twins.
    Yep! Spot on :)

Thanks guys, glad you dug it! It's an ambitious and nuanced story for just 4 issues. Be sure to tell Marvel you want more...indeed, this could be...just the beginning.