Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Relevant to this, another interview from Marvel.com:

Hopeless on 'Game On'
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

have the people who are knocking this book even READ it yet? imp its one of the best books out of marvel now
    DC League 2007 team Ion Dr Light Faith Animal Man CM3 Guardian Mr Miracle
    Marvel League 2006 champion Exodus Karnilla Living Lightning Talisman Arclight Karma Phantazia

is always watching....

I was quite 'bleurgh' when I read the premise for Avengers Arena. Didn't buy the first issue, didn't bother with the reviews. First book I've ever done that with. Anyways, today my local comics shop had a problem with their courier service so didn't get a full stock of comics in. Long story short, I picked up the first three issues of Avengers Arena and I really like the book. It's not 'violence for violence's sake', Hopeless clearly has a story to tell and the first three issues show he's telling it very well. I'll be sticking around for the long haul and will definitely try not to judge a book by its premise in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Atom_basher View Post
    have the people who are knocking this book even READ it yet? imp its one of the best books out of marvel now
    Some of them have actually. Others just skim the pages instead of actually reading the book based on their accounts of the content, and then I'm sure there are some who don't read the book but pretend like they do.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by ceroxide View Post
    stop whining because different people have different taste from your own, if you don't like it don't buy it, its not like you're paying us to have any say on what we spend $3 on
    It's a bit oversimplistic isn't it?
    I mean, I like AA, but even if I didn't I would buy it because I like Nico and Chase, independently of whatever story they're in

BANNED

Oh! I like the Braddock Kids, they should focus on killing Juston, before going after each other

Fuck yeah Bloodstone !

Love the preview.

Either Nara is the only one that wants to kill or the only one that does not want to kill.

I dislike that we know that everybody is save until 6.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStytch View Post
    I was quite 'bleurgh' when I read the premise for Avengers Arena. Didn't buy the first issue, didn't bother with the reviews. First book I've ever done that with. Anyways, today my local comics shop had a problem with their courier service so didn't get a full stock of comics in. Long story short, I picked up the first three issues of Avengers Arena and I really like the book. It's not 'violence for violence's sake', Hopeless clearly has a story to tell and the first three issues show he's telling it very well. I'll be sticking around for the long haul and will definitely try not to judge a book by its premise in future.

Man, I do not get how people describe this title as "Fun". I can describe it a lot of ways, but "Fun" is not one of them. Blows my mind.

So many readers are writing in that we've expanded the letters page section to two pages in most issues -- and we even ran a double-page letters section in issue #1 filled with reader reaction to the series announcement. The bottom line: Whether you love it or loathe it (there seems to be little middle ground), we appreciate every single person who is reaching out to us.
    I find this fascinating. Makes me want to write in again to express an opinion of not-quite-negative-but-not-positive-either. Just to see if it throws them bit

I also have to laugh heartily that there are actual rules to this 'game' beyond "Kill or be killed" or "Ya know that movie/book thing? It's like that!" in story so far. That it's already 10 days in and rules beyond that haven't really been shore up means that the initial talk in the interview regarding "Grappling with the rules" is an exaggeration to say the least.

Then, in issue #8 (on sale April 24) we zoom back to the kids and see how they respond to the jaw-dropping last page of issue #6.
    Glad to see that the issues I had with pacing and focus in this series are going to continue unabated. Delays in reactions between major plot points only serves to lessen their impact. It gives the audience time to cope with it. If you want the big impact, you follow it up with the proper venom immediately.

Like I said earlier, people either love this series or hate it, which -- as crazy as this sounds -- is a phenomenal reaction to have for your comic book.
    Can't argue with that part.

Art is supposed to push buttons and inspire an emotional response. If we're not striving to create true art each month, then why are we doing this?
    It would work a whole lot better if it was not just doing so for the sake of doing so, but had actual symbolism and metaphoric content to support it. Perhaps it is too early to call, but I severely doubt that we'll get something as nuanced as it's two main sources or Deathrace 2000.

I'd LOVE above all things to be wrong about that one, but I just don't see it as likely.

From the other interview

The strongest relationship that Hazmat had was taken away right off the bat. I think she understands better than anyone exactly how real the game is. She also tends to run a little hot and that is even intensified by what happened to Mettle in issue #1. She hasn’t necessarily bought in to killing everyone, but she’s going to do everything she can to protect her friends. That’s her primary thing now. She’ll do anything to keep the people that she has left safe.
    Not sure if that's fuel on the fire for "Hazmat goes evil", but I honestly barely trust Hopeless' interviews since "I want them all to be Katniss". Hopefully he's gotten better.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

Avengers Arena is awesome!
    And if series I think are crap -like for example Secret Warriors, and yes I did read it in trade- can get to 30 issues, then so should Arena.

And as a bonus, it's always fun -and a little bit pathetic- to see people squirming in pure hate and disgust over things happening in silly comics like Arena or Superior Spider-Man, when there are a lot worse problems in the real world that no one seems to give a care about.

Badass book. Great characters! Keep it coming Mavel

Loving what they are doing here. Glad that Darkwak is still alive and hope the Vertigo artist is Albuquerque since AmVamp is on hiatus.

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    Some of them have actually. Others just skim the pages instead of actually reading the book based on their accounts of the content, and then I'm sure there are some who don't read the book but pretend like they do.
    And then you have those who do read the book, secretly like it but continue to bash it. Because admitting they were wrong is too hard to do. Even on a comic book message board. Hell I was wrong on All New X-Men. It's been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    Man, I do not get how people describe this title as "Fun". I can describe it a lot of ways, but "Fun" is not one of them. Blows my mind.
    How does something being "fun" blow your mind? Fun is subjective.

One thing that is pretty consistent on these boards is that everyone thinks their opinion is right. Do they even know the meaning of the word?
    Top 10:Cyclops. Nightcrawler. Magik. Juggernaut (Cain Marko). Magneto. Hulk. Mr.Sinister. Emma Frost. Deadpool. Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    People like what they like.

Also, looks like Nara may be willing to play Arcade's little game.
    To be fair, they attacked her first and they are fighting over food supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
    Ugh. This series made it to issue 8?? That's sad.

Shame on all of you who are buying this tripe. And thus perpetuating it.
    It's great. Shame on you for whining without reading it, and thus perpetuating the background noise of meaningless waffle.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco