Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62
  1. #46
    DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    6,837

    Default

    Well, I'd say the feat is fair but high-end for Erik. He specifically stated that he could sense the particular metal involved, he was highly motivated since he was trying to prove he was not a douchbag. All of that said, it's not a speedfeat in the traditional sense - he used his rather awesome powers to pick up a totally unique material that he stated to have "tagged" the first time that it passed. The fantastic power feat part is that he managed to bring back in a few days a planet-buster object that had been moving at superluminal speeds for months. The facts that he had days to plan the arrival, however, is what makes this decidedly not a combat speed feat.

    I typically give Magneto low-mid bullet-timer speed with his powers - he has plucked bullets out of the air (not shielded them, but caught them) enough times that I'm willing to go there. I think that most people agree, in general.

  2. #47
    Elder Member Pendaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    21,999

    Default

    I typically give Magneto low-mid bullet-timer speed with his powers - he has plucked bullets out of the air (not shielded them, but caught them) enough times that I'm willing to go there. I think that most people agree, in general.
    Not especially. Plenty of threads have involved noting Magneto at human reaction time, and enough things with Magneto and bullets can involve them running into magnetic fields he has set up that I'm unwilling to especially go there for something consistent to him.

  3. #48
    Blind Resolve Hazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gram View Post
    It did? I thought it changed trajectory.
    Looking at the scans you posted, I am seeing it as Magneto unmaking the bullet. He redirected is towards Earth. Once the bullet is on head on collision to the x-men, we get their reaction shots, which means Magneto is slowing it down otherwise it would have already crashed on earth.

    Then again, I stopped reading Uncanny more or less around that time because I couldn't stand Land's art and Fraction's writing.

    Magneto kneeling in front of Scott is just wrong.

  4. #49
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    somewhere nice
    Posts
    406

    Default

    So, Erik destroyed the bullet while at the same time pulling Kitty out of there right as it was flying overhead.

    Wouldn't that make it even more impressive?

    EDIT:

    Being able to do so for a long period of time and then dragging it into the right trajectory to reach Earth and then destroying it, I mean. The fact that he can perceive something moving at FTL is crazy in of it self.
    Last edited by Gram; 01-17-2013 at 12:41 PM.

  5. #50
    Your Ice Cream Man Captain Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    13,177

    Default

    Man, what do you have against the concept of slowing down? Did it murder your parents after a showing of Mark of Zorro?

  6. #51
    Elder Member Pendaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    21,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Man, what do you have against the concept of slowing down? Did it murder your parents after a showing of Mark of Zorro?
    I'm sure the other explination of anyone who noticed it themselves being crazy FTL works fine.

  7. #52
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    somewhere nice
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Man, what do you have against the concept of slowing down? Did it murder your parents after a showing of Mark of Zorro?
    Damn straight it did. It murdered my puppy and violated my wife too. I will never forgive it for I AM THE DARK KNIGHT!

    Also, doesn't change the fact that he can perceive it from gods knows how far away from Earth and fly it to the place he wanted to.

  8. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gram View Post
    We don't want to be biased now do we? Oh, you know what else we should do? Dismiss Thanos's FTL reactions. Heck, that was a long time ago anyway. No, wait. There's nothing that exists to contradict it.

    The best part is that you're trying to counter Thanos' lightspeed reactions with a scan of him being knocked around by Spider-Man and Eric Masterson Thor.

    The dude that treats Silver Surfer's best attacks like spring breeze and barely bleeds when a Power Gem bearing Thor Odinson in full Warrior's Insanity Mode wallops him in the face.

    Spider-Man.

    Spider-Man vs. Firelord, I'd like you to meet Spider-Man vs. Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

    Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

    Official Board Ostrichizer

  9. #54
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    somewhere nice
    Posts
    406

    Default

    ^^Correction, it violated my puppy and murdered my wife.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    The best part is that you're trying to counter Thanos' lightspeed reactions with a scan of him being knocked around by Spider-Man and Eric Masterson Thor. The dude that treats Silver Surfer's best attacks like spring breeze and barely bleeds when a Power Gem bearing Thor Odinson in full Warrior's Insanity Mode wallops him in the face. Spider-Man. Spider-Man vs. Firelord, I'd like you to meet Spider-Man vs. Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet
    Yes, Yes, Yes.

    It still doesn't change the fact that Thanos has other presentations that discredit that theory and the very idea that he gets FTL reactions because of fights with other characters is contradictory to the very nature of debate here.
    Last edited by Gram; 01-17-2013 at 12:53 PM.

  10. #55
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    somewhere nice
    Posts
    406

    Default

    For god's sake man, I can still remember their SCREAMS.

    It echos on the blackboard of my mind like an exploding donkey with nothing to lose. Why?! Why did it have to be them?!

    WHY GAWD?! WHY DID YOU TAKE MY FAMILY?!

  11. #56
    Your Ice Cream Man Captain Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    13,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gram View Post
    So, Erik destroyed the bullet while at the same time pulling Kitty out of there right as it was flying overhead.

    Wouldn't that make it even more impressive?

    EDIT:

    Being able to do so for a long period of time and then dragging it into the right trajectory to reach Earth and then destroying it, I mean. The fact that he can perceive something moving at FTL is crazy in of it self.
    Not... really as far as comics go. Various people have senses that operate on a scale of being able to detect fast moving things or things that are really far away. That doesn't translate in comics to "can react to things going multiples of light speed."

    It doesn't help that the thing is 10 miles long, and apparently he "tagged" it before when it passed through, and he has a special affinity for the stuff it is made out of.

  12. #57
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    27,591

    Default

    The fuck happened in this thread?
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

    Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

  13. #58
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    somewhere nice
    Posts
    406

    Default

    The story of my family being horribly murdered by the "concept of slowing down." A tragedy of monumental proportions, without a doubt.

    Still remember it like it was yesterday. Also, I am Batman.

  14. #59
    Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Stockholm in Sweden
    Posts
    15,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    The fuck happened in this thread?
    Somebody beat a joke to death and then they continue to burn the corpse.

    That's one of the things that happened.

  15. #60
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    somewhere nice
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Not... really as far as comics go. Various people have senses that operate on a scale of being able to detect fast moving things or things that are really far away. That doesn't translate in comics to "can react to things going multiples of light speed."

    It doesn't help that the thing is 10 miles long, and apparently he "tagged" it before when it passed through, and he has a special affinity for the stuff it is made out of.
    That's pretty much the same thing as reacting to something if you have a power or power(s) that are not restricted by your movement speed (i.e telekinesis) or in this case electromagnetism. If you can think fast enough to clearly perceive something moving that fast then why can't you whip out those abilities at a similar speed? Just think it and there it is.

    Wasn't it also established officially that Magneto's reflexes are beyond a normal humans? So, I don't see how something like that would contradict his presentation.

    Anyway, it's not that will change anything because the consensus has been made by the powers that be even before the thread really started.
    Last edited by Gram; 01-17-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •